Forums

MISSING AM RADIO...

MISSING AM RADIO...

AM RADIO IS CRUCIAL DUE TO LOCAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC UPDATES, EMERGENCY UPDATES LIKE FIRE, EARTHQUAKE.
IF THERE IS A TRAFFIC BACK UP, NEED TO GET UP TO DATE REPORT ON WHICH LANE IS BLOCKED OR COMPLETELY BLOCKED?

ANYONE HAVING the SAME DISCOMFORT?

lilbean | 17 januari 2019

YES

Solarman004 | 17 januari 2019

Try using Waze for Tesla on the internet screen. It will show you all of the traffic info on the bottom of the screen while your nav map is at the top.
It will give you everything you mention in your post except earthquake notifications. For that you may just have to rely on emergency notifications on your phone.
After almost 3 years in Tesla's, I find I don't miss AM radio.
Search TuneIn...there are streaming AM stations there. You may find one close by.

bp | 18 januari 2019

Many of the AM stations are available on FM subchannels using HD radio.

More detailed real-time traffic information is available by using the Tesla Waze website with the console browser (when that's working).

And XM radio can provide access to major sports live streaming either through the XM console app or by streaming XM's internet channels through a smart phone.

While we've had AM radio in our two Model S cars since early 2013, in practice, we really didn't use it, since all of the AM stations we listen to are available with HD radio versions on FM radio. So when our 2018 X 100D arrived without AM, it really wasn't a big loss.

Vawlkus | 18 januari 2019

Flagged for spam trolling.

sp_tesla | 20 januari 2019

Any Lakers fan?

TeslaTap.com | 20 januari 2019

This has been hashed out in many prior threads. Basically some people want it, most don't care. More to the point, Tesla no longer provides AM radios in any cars they produce, and it doesn't seem likely they will add back in the hardware, wiring, and antennas to do so in future versions.

Almost no users relies on AM radio for emergencies anymore. FM still works fine and there is a emergency alert system for both FM radio and phones, making the need for AM even less. Many high-end vehicles also drop AM radio. The Bugatti Veyron comes to mind

Many theories Tesla dropping AM includes:
1) AM radio is a dying format, with year over year declines in listeners for many years now. Quite a few countries outside the US have completely shuttered AM radio.
2) It may have been done to reduce cost for a feature few use (I doubt cost is the issue, but others have raised this possibility).
3) Prior Teslas that did have AM got a lot of interference from the motor and made the already low AM quality a lot lower quality.
4) Following other premium EVs like the BMW i3 that also dropped the AM radio.
5) Tesla wanted to only provide only higher quality sound sources.

I'm only stating facts and opinions others have raised, not the relative value of AM radio that some hold dear. Clearly there is some content that may be hard to reach otherwise. FM and Tunein can reach much of the identical content, but I'm sure there are a few cases unique to AM.

As for traffic issues, the Tesla map already includes traffic information and you can supplement it with Waze and see the real-time data important to you visually rather than waiting 60 minutes on AM radio for a traffic report to appear for your area of interest.

Anyway, if AM is a deal breaker, you'll need to look at some other car and get it while it is still available.

Mel. | 22 januari 2019

Yes, as TeslaTap stated TuneIn gives me all the am stations in the Boston area. This is appreciated as I am in Florida