Forums

Improved mileage via firmware coming to the 3?

Improved mileage via firmware coming to the 3?

The Elektrek article (https://electrek.co/2019/02/28/tesla-model-3-standard-battery-interior/) which reiterated the release of the Standard Battery Model also said that the Model 3 will up its mileage via firmware. The direct quote was:

----

Along with these changes, Tesla is going to release firmware updates that is going to enable a 325-mile range in the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3, which was the first version of the car. It has been discontinued in favor of matching the long range pack to the dual motor powertrain, but it is now coming back.

Other firmware updates are also expected to increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

It’s still unclear at this point if these firmware upgrades will work with all vehicles already delivered. We expect to know more following an upcoming media call.

----

I find that pretty cool as an existing owner like many of you... more mileage is great. I wonder what tweaks they did to enable the extra 15 miles. Any thoughts there and is it really tangible, given how mileage fluctuates based on road and temperature conditions?

M3BlueGeorgia | 28 februari 2019

No real extra mileage for the LR.

EPA rating was 334 but Tesla opted only to claim 310. Now its back, they are opting to claim 325.

So you aren't (as far as I know) going to get any real increase in range, as its just Tesla opting to claim a slightly higher EPA rating.

bryanthomasjd | 28 februari 2019

What about the ~5% power increase? That sounds like an actual change. That would at least be something to make me a little less unhappy with the fact that my AWD Model 3 is now about $6k less than when I bought it last month.

voytres | 28 februari 2019

@M3BlueGeorgia,

So what is the point for a firmware upgrade?

tlee328 | 28 februari 2019

I get that they could just change spec/rating, but yes, this sounded like a real change in power and mileage via firmware. Hopefully, they clarify .. or better yet, we see it firsthand in an update soon!

OrangeinCO | 28 februari 2019

What does 5% peak power translate into? Acceleration?

I would assume it translates to increased acceleration as that's when peak power would be utilized. Anyone have an idea how this would impact 0 to 60? I'm guessing maybe .1 or .2 seconds quicker depending on which version of the model 3?

AZTesla | 28 februari 2019

The way I understand it, this announces a real world increase to the mileage for the LR M3 by 15 miles, via a firmware update. Very cool.

agkulcz | 28 februari 2019

@OrangeinCO Yes, acceleration. LR RWD M3 acceleration was listed as 5.5s 0-60MPH before. It is now listed as 5.0s. Interestingly, several early owners clocked their LR RWD M3's at about 5.1 to 5.2s in independent acceleration tests but this was later lowered through one of the software updates to about 5.5 to 5.6s according to several independent reports. As you can imagine some people complained about it although the lowered acceleration matched the originally stated specs. It seems that Tesla is now "uncorking" acceleration again on the LR RWD M3's. I 'm personally looking forward to the slightly better performance....

I keep monitoring the elektrek thread. They did update only to say:
"The CEO said that they have increased the electronic limits on the motors after feeling more comfortable with their capacity after millions of miles of data."

OrangeinCO | 28 februari 2019

@agkulcz, thanks! It'd be great to go from 4.5 to 4.0 on AWD, I don't think that should cause problems for P owners because it's not in competition with 3.2.

Hopefully the non-P AWD model 3 gets an increase. Plenty of power as is, but always looking for more.

@agkulcz,

You are wrong about 0-60 5.5 sec for LR RWD M3, it was 5.1 before and now 5.0...and as per some tests on track they was able to do even 4.6

jrs33 | 28 februari 2019

Any changes coming via firmware update for model 3 LR AWD (non performance)??

I think it said the firmware update applied to all 3 models. So we should be seeing that 5% peak power improvement across the board.

here that was before back to July 2018

https://ibb.co/4pmBCCT

agkulcz | 28 februari 2019

@voytres Ah..., I might have confused the times with the previous mid-range specs then. My apologies. So the 0-60 time is only going down by 0.1s - no much difference in official time. I wonder what the 5% power boost will translate to in real tests. Still something....

@agkulcz,

0.1 not bad :) for example, no changes as of now for AWD

But this is the beauty we keep touting to our non-Tesla friends... the capability to make your car better way after you purchased it. Gotta love that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the firmware update. I'm also semi-glad it wasn't the Y announcement, as my wife may have made me order one for her. She needs to get more mileage on her existing car first. (I kid, I kid)

beaver | 28 februari 2019

More power and more range, awesome!

@M3BlueGeorgia it's possible that we will get more range, one way is by increasing the 100% setting for kWh i.e. open up more of the batter for charging, less held in reserve or for protection. I don't see how higher power is going to increase range on it's own, should go down in fact.

Though it is true that the range for LR RWD M3 is too low, EPA rated it higher.

beaver | 28 februari 2019

Forget to mention, I think one reason why us existing M3 owners are getting more range and power is to make up for the third price reduction in two months.

For example, now after fed rebate I could buy the LR RWD M3 for $39,250 vs $41,500.

gtbuzz | 28 februari 2019

Hell, I'd be happy if I got close to the stated range on my AWD. Even trying my hardest to maximize efficiency, I struggle to break 290 wh/mi. Pretty much my only nit with the car though

charles.a.braun | 28 februari 2019

:5% peak power increase with March 15 software release, along with many other improvements" - Elon Musk

finman100 | 28 februari 2019

a new kind of "March Madness".

Go Elon!

Carl Thompson | 28 februari 2019

I strongly suspect the increased range is not simply a trick of relabeling the exact same range performance better as @M3BlueGeorgia is implying. I don't think even Tesla could get away with that.

My guess is that the firmware update will do _something_ to actually increase efficiency slightly. For example something like relaxing the temperature tolerances for battery conditioning if they've found their current profile is overly conservative.

In other words I think it will be a _real_ improvement rather than a fake one.

AWDTesla | 28 februari 2019

More power is great!

tdwin2000 | 28 februari 2019

Yes, I charge my LR RWD at 90% and get 279 after it stops charging (which is correct). This is based on a 310 mile range. If they now claim 325 miles of range, even though it always had more than 310, the car will show more at 90% than before. This is what they will change, by setting the car to a level of full charge at 325 miles.

anilj | 5 mars 2019

I get bummed because it always charges to 278 and half a block later changes to 277. It's fine after. Probably the charging station and M3 is not synced up properly.

If they change to 325, being able to charge at 90% to 292 miles would be a great bonus!

jefjes | 5 mars 2019

@anilj- That's the same experience I have with mine. 89.7% charge at 90% setting is so frustrating...;-)
Mine usually drops to 272 in the first 3 miles since there is a slight uphill grade and then a freeway on-ramp that is even more uphill as I reach 70 mph. The next 8 miles are downhill, so when I reach the level bottom, I'm still at 270-271ish. It's coming back up those 8 miles at speed that brings reality back. It all kinda equals out in the end. My 8k+ miles on my car has me averaging 229 wh/mi. which I consider decent being it gets into single digits temps here plus record snow this year.

0ho127 | 20 mars 2019

What is the firmware version number that give you extra range of 325 miles and faster acceleration?
Would our battery charging display now show 325 miles at 100% charge instead of 310 miles?

firemansim | 22 mars 2019

Just got off chat with Tesla support and they said 2019.5.15 f5def7e has the improvements.