Forums

Super Charge Station

Super Charge Station

Absolutely ridiculous you charge a idle fee for the charging station. I was in the mall. I received the notification for complete charge. I immediately went to my car and took out the charger. Then a $7 fee. The company must really need the money to charge me $7 after purchasing a $135,000 vehicle. So petty.

jordanrichard | 15 mars 2019

So, because you paid that much, you should be excluded from paying fees that "lesser" people should only pay...........?

stevenmaifert | 15 mars 2019

Okay, so you unplugged. Did you also move your car? That's the whole point of charging the idle fees. It's an incentive to move your car when you are done, so others can use the Supercharger.

patrickknauf | 15 mars 2019

Tesla advertised free supercharge for the life of the car.....now they charge add on fees that were never disclosed.

jordanrichard | 15 mars 2019

Correct, you got to charge your car for free. Where is the inferred deception? Also idling fees have been around for almost 2 years now. Is this the first time you have heard of them. They were put in place to discourage people from leaving their cars plugged in, taking up a much needed spot for others. Also, the fees only get charged if 50% or more of the stalls are taken up.

At least you only got hit with idling fees. Other would have also had to pay for the kwh they got from the charger.

jlhm | 15 mars 2019

If you can afford a car for $135K then you can afford a $7 idle fee.

Sam_S | 15 mars 2019

I nominate this for most ridiculous thread of the year

patrickknauf | 15 mars 2019

Good points Jr. I have used the super charger stations for over a year - full and empty. Yes, this is the first time I have heard of an idle fee. This, or actually, any fee regarding super charger station is not in my paperwork.

So for those unaware of this fee....please check out the facts below (from Tesla website)

For every additional minute a car remains connected to the Supercharger, it will incur an idle fee. If the car is moved within 5 minutes, the fee is waived. Idle fees apply when a Supercharger station is at least 50% full, and double when the station is 100% full.

This fee is .50 cents a minute if the station is 50% full and $1 if 100% full.

Trully hope this is helpful to those who have not heard about this fee before.

reed_lewis | 15 mars 2019

When you look at a super charger on the on screen map it says that there is an idle fee. When you are charging, your phone will receive a message when it is almost done and you should move your car to prevent idle fees. When you are finished charging, it tells you it is done.

Would you prefer that the car speak out of the speakers something like 'Remember there is an Idle fee!"

Pay the $7 and use the experience to remember to unplug when you are supposed to in the future. Super charger ports are limited in supply and anyone who uses them when they are not charging is abusing the system.

And it does not matter how much you paid for your car. Whether you bought the most expensive, or the lowest end Model 3, everyone pays Idle Fees!

reed_lewis | 15 mars 2019

...and personally I think the idle fee should rise exponentially as the time increases. $1/min for the first 10, then $2, then $4 then $8, then $16, etc. It would really punish the abusers.

jimglas | 15 mars 2019

they should charge idle fees when a charger gets ICED

RedShift | 15 mars 2019

They sent you a notification when 80% charging was done warning you idle fees may start accumulating. I guess you ignored it because you thought it was for someone else. Understandable mistake. /sarcasm

jimglas | 15 mars 2019

they gave me a pass the first time I had idle fees
I thught that was fair since my wife was driving the car in a differnt city and wasnt informed
I tried to call her, but sketchy cell coverage

Enzodriver | 15 mars 2019

I'm all for idle fees and they are there for a reason - top up, pack up and go (to an ICE bay).