Forums

Rear cross traffic alert?

Rear cross traffic alert?

RCTA rear cross traffic alert , many of us have it on other cars, it seems like Tesla could add this feature through a software update using existing sensorsan cameras.
This would be imo another basic safety feature included in all cars to keep them competive with the market.

rdm227 | 21 mars 2019

Definitely agree, was a very helpful feature in my Mazda 6.

SteveWin1 | 21 mars 2019

Really? The backup camera is a really wide angle camera. When I back out, I just look at the camera for cars. Granted, if they're ever going to have real FSD and the Tesla ride-sharing network, the car is going to have to know when it's safe to backup, so maybe it's a good thing for them to work on.

Halbach | 21 mars 2019

Agree, would like to have.

syclone | 22 mars 2019

I made a equest for that, probably in August 2018, I got a very positive response from Tesla. But, up to now, no action.

rdm227 | 22 mars 2019

SteveWin1 there are a number of times when it is tough to see the screen clearly (it may be raining and the video blurry to you, the sunlight is coming in directly behind you and making the screen tough to read, lighting is bad, etc.) or if you are looking over your shoulder our out your side view mirrors and a car or person comes up quickly when a warning chime would be very helpful.

dsvick | 22 mars 2019

It is entirely possible they'll add it at a later date just like they did with the blind spot detection.

scherer326 | 22 mars 2019

are you talking about a chime or some other sound if someone or something is crossing when you are trying to back up. I would love that feature. Have it on my other family suv, wish it was on the Tesla. Hopefully it can be added. That is a very helpful safety feature.

k6rim | 22 mars 2019

Rear cross traffic alert would be far more useful than, for example, the fart app.

Please add this safety feature!

k6rim | 22 mars 2019

Rear cross traffic alert would be far more useful than, for example, the fart app.

Please add this safety feature!

thedrisin | 22 mars 2019

Cross traffic monitoring seems to be problem. A warning for upcoming Enhanced Summon is that it is unable to anticipate crossing traffic.

wiboater4 | 22 mars 2019

thedrisin How do you know advance summon can't detect cars when it is backing out? Seems like they would have to have something . Of course the cars coming toward a backing car should also be watching and stop to avoid a collision if it does happen right.

matt80206 | 22 mars 2019

Mine makes a sound when a car approaches and it stops. Maybe its a setting you don't have enabled?

thedrisin | 22 mars 2019
thedrisin | 22 mars 2019
Tcloutier5890 | 22 mars 2019

Please Tesla, enable back up warning. So used to it in my last car, I nearly got into an accident as I forgot I didn’t have this feature.

EVRider | 22 mars 2019

This topic has been discussed before, and the consensus was that the car would require hardware updates to support rear cross traffic alerts (unlike blind spot alerts), so you won’t see this in a firmware update.

rxlawdude | 22 mars 2019

@EV, what consensus? I don't see the need for hardware updates - rather, more weighting to the side sensors on the rear bumper and possibly image processing of the rear cameras should do the trick in most use cases.

Brian B | 22 mars 2019

@Tcloutier5890

Backup warning should not be used in that manner anyway. No amount of getting used to it, then having it taken away, should cause an accident. It doesn't take away your responsibility to look. It only helps if you don't see when you look. Forgetting you don't have it doesn't matter at all in that case.

thedrisin | 22 mars 2019

There will always be those exasperating people in this forum who purchase a vehicle with the most advanced electronics and say you shouldn't need anymore new tech than you had in your 1950 Dodge or you are a poor driver. None of these tech improvements replace the standard driving techniques but are driver's aids and assist the driver to be a better, safer driver. Technology has helped people improve throughout the workplace and home. Driving is no different.

Brian B | 22 mars 2019

@thedrisin

If you were referring to me, notice I say it is not needed. I only said (s)he can't blame the car, only (her/him?)self

Even if you have the alert, expecting it to warn you if something is there _is not_ how it is intended to be used. Tcloutier5890's comments suggest that (s)he doesn't actually look, but relied on the beeping from the previous car.

EVRider | 22 mars 2019

@rxlawdude: Ok, maybe not a consensus, but it’s still not clear the existing hardware is sufficient. Here’s one of the other threads I was referring to: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/rear-cross-traffic-alert

rxlawdude | 22 mars 2019

So the true systems use radar, while Tesla uses ultrasonic sensors. I believe HW 2+ beefed up the ultrasonic detection to (IIRC) 30 feet.

While not foolproof (NO cross traffic alert is), it's certainly possible to do better with the existing hardware and some clever programming.

howard | 22 mars 2019

Tesla is lacking in some standard safety features found in most current vehicles. Side mirrors with sensors and warning indicators built in to the mirrors. Rear cross traffic warnings. My traded in 2017 Bolt had both. My new 2019 Volt has both. My wife’s 2015 Q3 has both. My sons 2018 Jetta has both. There is simply no excuse.

thedrisin | 23 mars 2019

@howard.
+1.
My daughter's Honda CR-V, Subaru Crosstrek, and wife's Toyota Highlander also have them. I only purchased cars for them that had these safety features. I wanted a Tesla, best EV out there, but felt this was a compromise not to have those features.

howard | 23 mars 2019

thedrisin | @howard. +1. I wanted a Tesla, best EV out there, but felt this was a compromise not to have those features.

Agreed, one of the factors why I did not buy a second Tesla.

Magic 8 Ball | 23 mars 2019

Interesting not buying because of lack of perceived safety feature but buying something else with a lower crash test safety rating. I really don't understand the priorities of some people?

If you are a good driver most crashes will be someone else hitting you and you have been backing into cross traffic with cars that don't have an alert without causing problems. Who the heck cares about cross traffic safety when someone is ramming into you?

syclone | 23 mars 2019

@k6rim: Maybe it we suggested that the Rear Cross Traffic alert was in the form of a Fart. the weenies in Tesla engineering would get excited and put in the feature.

howard | 23 mars 2019

Magic 8 Ball | Interesting not buying because of lack of perceived safety feature but buying something else with a lower crash test safety rating. I really don't understand the priorities of some people?

You miss the point altogether. Seriously, that is the best come back. My goal is to prevent the crash, not worry about the minor differences in crash ratings. My wife is also not quite as attentive as I am.

@howard I recommend you and your wife surrender you license. If you are unable to back up a car without cross traffic warning I am damm glad I am in the safest car on the road. No I did not miss the point. The point is you are too cheap to recognize real value.

howard | 23 mars 2019

M8B, that is more like it! There is absolutely no rational reason to pay twice as much for half the features. Glad you have money to burn or maybe just lack the sense to know.

@howard Incremental crash test improvement is priceless. It is far more likely that someone will plow into you than you causing a wreck backing into traffic. If you think you are that much more dangerous without traffic detection I am serious, give up your license. There is always going to be a threshold of when a hit will cause permanent brain damage and how severe that damage is. If the TESLA gives me even a slight advantage in a situation I cannot control it is worth much more than a security blanket that someone will come to rely on and start to forget to turn their head and look in the mirrors.

howard | 23 mars 2019

I hope Level 5 FSD gets to you real soon. I'll feel better for both of us. I must say your blind allegiance to the brand is very commendable. Wish my customers were the same.

howard | 23 mars 2019

MB8, if your that afraid maybe it is you that should not drive.

If you need x traffic alert I will feel better for us as well. I do not have blind allegiance but I am happier with this car than any other new car I have owned.

@howard You seem to be missing the point. I have no fear I just like to give myself the best possible chance of survival in situations I have no control over. I can control my backing up of my car but I cannot control the decision of someone else backing up their car into me.

howard | 23 mars 2019

Sincerely glad you are happy with your purchase. May you drive long and prosper.

howard | 23 mars 2019

If I felt that way you do I would still be driving my 2006 Diesel Excursion. There is no substitution for mass. A full head-on collision with a non-licensed driver in a Chevy Suburban both of us doing over 45. My daughter and I walked away. Had I been in a Tesla I doubt seriously it would have been the same result. Real blind spot and cross traffic avoidance are important to me besides the fact that I have gotten very used to the features in the last dozen or so cars we have owned.

Don't understand how one just make excuses for a premium car that lacks features that are available on most other brands probably all brands at this price point. Unfortunately for me, this along with a host of other things was not something that I realized in the 10-minute test drive and I did not do enough due diligence before buying. Got fully caught up in the hype and my own ego-driven desires. Wonder if I will ever grow out of it. Should listen to my wife more.

Go ahead have fun with those comments.

I will go with real data from NHTSA not "feel".

thedrisin | 23 mars 2019

@M8B. If surviving an accident is your primary concern, you should purchase the largest non-commercial vehicle available. Crash tests are compared to same class vehicles.

@thdrisn Good point which is why I am glad I have the safest crash tested vehicle ever. It is a fallacy to say mass is king in a crash. The mass of drivers do not change much. Mass of vehicle will help if it does not hurt first (Is the mass low or is it top heavy etc.).

The goalpost move is noted. We were talking about vehicles in same class until someone decided to move the goalposts. The discussion is same class vehicle and value of crash test rating vs x-traffic detection. I will take the safer crash rating. I have been backing into cross traffic all my life with no issues.

BTW, the TESLA is really setup to back into spaces so there really is no need to back into cross traffic to begin with (holds true for any car).

thedrisin | 23 mars 2019

"New small cars are safer than they've ever been, but new larger, heavier vehicles are still safer than small ones. It's a matter of physics: Bigger and heavier is safer than smaller and lighter. ... The lowest 2015 death rate by vehicle type is for very large SUVs: 13 deaths per million registered vehicles."

Dunno why you continue to carry on with SUV's? The discussion was between TESLA 3 and the likes of Volt and Jetta. Where is this SUV talk coming from when discussing TESLA being safest ever tested by NHTSA and x-traffic detection?

Carl Thompson | 23 mars 2019

Tesla is missing the boat by not having real cross traffic sensors, real blind spot monitoring, bird's eye parking view, CarPlay, Android Auto and a HUD.

Nevertheless they're still pretty good cars!

Brian B | 23 mars 2019

@howard How do you rely on cross traffic alerts? Do you just close your eyes or something and listen for the beeps? It is not setup to take the place of your own eyes, which is what "relying on" is. If you say it helps, that's a different story. "Relying on" and "not having it causing an accident" are not how it is intended to be used.

howard | 23 mars 2019

Brian B, I do not rely on it but in other vehicles I have owned when there is a large truck or van parked next to you the dedicated cross-traffic sensors pick up a fast-moving vehicle coming at you as you pull out. Sure you can slam on the brakes when you finally see them in the camera or they start blowing the horn and hope you stopped fast enough.

The same goes for dedicated blind spot indicators located in the side view mirrors. Every other car I own has them. Glancing in the side mirror and immediately knowing there is someone in your blind spot is fundamentally a far superior system. Which is why every other car company has them.

It is just aggravating to be used to common safety features on my other cars and not have them my expensive, technologically advanced Tesla. Sorry but I could do without all the frivolous crap on the car. Provide basic common industry safety devices/features.

thedrisin | 23 mars 2019

@howard
+1

texxx | 24 mars 2019

+1 Howard - In-mirror BSD and cross-traffic alerts are basic table stakes these days for car safety features. I'm still surprised my M3 can be so advanced in so many ways, but be missing fundamental safety features that have been available on other cars for many years.

Rajkrishnan9 | 24 mars 2019

Ys very useful dont understand why tesla is not adding

Daryl | 24 mars 2019

I really doubt that the Model 3 has the hardware necessary for rear traffic alert. The rear camera, though pretty wide angle, is not wide enough, the rear facing cameras on the front fenders are of course not positioned correctly, and the parking sensors are ultra-sonic and don't "see" far enough away.

k6rim | 24 mars 2019

howard +1

Love my M3, but Tesla is missing the boat by failing to include these safety features.

Some on this Forum will defend Tesla no matter what. Willful blindness.

Pages