Forums

Jeopardy thread (spoilers inside, in case you recorded it for later)

Jeopardy thread (spoilers inside, in case you recorded it for later)

BH - I forget which thread had the Jeopardy stuff, so here's an article for you:
https://www.usbets.com/pro-sports-bettor-jeopardy-champion/

(edit - title changed, per request)

Bighorn | 8 april 2019

Thanks. Surprised he didn’t know the PAT rule change tonight given his profession. Not as encyclopedic as Ken Jennings, but better strategist. My daughter is signed up for the online test.

lilbean | 8 april 2019

:o)

barrykmd | 8 april 2019

Both my kids were in the kids' tournament when they were each 11, two years apart. It was a fun time. The older one was taped in LA at the studio, and the younger one was at DAR Hall in Wash DC. Unlike the adult games, they put together a nice program for the kids lasting several days.

plusplusjames | 9 april 2019

Car loves you long time!

Bighorn | 9 april 2019

@barry
What a great experience for them.

barrykmd | 9 april 2019

Today's game - wow!

Bighorn | 9 april 2019

Crazy! I saw the total on TMC during the commercial before final. JS asking if PlusEV knew him.

Bighorn | 9 april 2019

Emma said the test was a lot harder this time, thinking more people want to get on before Alex moves on.

Bighorn | 9 april 2019

Emma said the test was a lot harder this time, thinking more people want to get on before Alex moves on.

barrykmd | 10 april 2019

Here are the questions on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhr5u29Zuwc
It was tough. FWIW, I was confident in my answers for 32 of them and had educated guesses on a few others.

Bighorn | 10 april 2019

Brutal.

Bighorn | 10 april 2019

I zoned pretty badly after blanking on Wicked, which was inexcusable given my familiarity and having seen it. Got 20 which is less than half of last time. How many times have I crossed the Brooklyn Bridge unaware if it was over the East or Hudson:)

barrykmd | 10 april 2019

Duh! :-) You can be excommunicated from your NY origins for that one.

That's the problem with getting older. On the Oregon River, I knew it started with a C, but I couldn't think of it in time.

tes-s | 10 april 2019

"How many times have I crossed the Brooklyn Bridge unaware if it was over the East or Hudson:)"

Funny, drove through the brooklyn-battery tunnel for the first time in my life a couple of weeks ago. My daughter who lived in CT until college (college in NJ), and been to NY many times, mistook the east river for the hudson. I was shocked! That is what 5 years on the left coast does to you I guess.

Shesmyne2 | 10 april 2019

Maybe not excommunicated but certainly a forehead slap.
One for you too barry - ‘the Oregon River with a C’?
:-)))

Still Grinning ;-)

rxlawdude | 10 april 2019

Taking it tomorrow evening. Thanks for the hints. :-)

Bighorn | 10 april 2019

@rx
I doubt they keep it the same since the answers are posted on Reddit

@Big, damn! You mean I'll have to fend for myself? By the way, which river in Oregon? Coos or Colquitte?

Bighorn | 10 april 2019

Columbia-- I blanked on it too. Had the river gorge part:)

txakoli | 10 april 2019

An Oregon river with a "C"? The Clamath, of course!

Funny, I went right to Columbia. Biggest one I’ve seen there. Super cool.

Still Grinning :-)

Lots of Jeopardy! fans here. Not surprising. I consider it a daily exercise of Mental Floss.

sentabo | 10 april 2019

Shesmyne2 | April 10, 2019
Maybe not excommunicated but certainly a forehead slap.
One for you too barry - ‘the Oregon River with a C’?
:-)))

Shesmyne2 I have met you and I can attest that you definitely don’t have a double chin. :)

sentabo-I’m not fond of lol so I meant lots of smiles...
But thanks for the confirmation

Still Grinning ;-)

sentabo | 10 april 2019

^^
I know, I just couldn’t resist playin’. :)

Bighorn | 11 april 2019

The clue was “It flows 1240 miles to empty into the Pacific at Astoria”. No reference to Oregon or the letter C.

Last night’s game was quite simple comparatively. Makes one wonder if they’re trying to assemble a bunch of super geniuses for Alex’s swan song and ratings.

trixiew | 11 april 2019

While living in Portland, my mother from So Cal came to visit one particularly cold winter. As the plane banked over the “C” before landing, she saw big chunks of ice floating down it. She later told me that she and her co-So Cal seat mate agreed they would melt because the sun was out.

barrykmd | 11 april 2019

Sorry for any confusion on the river question. That's just the way I remembered it when I was posting. Guess it reveals my thought process at work. I had a feeling they weren't referring to Astoria, Queens, NY, but that is near the East River :-)

Yesterday's show was interesting and possibly future-telling. He missed the DD in round 1 and went down to zero. He was lucky it was round 1, and he's lucky the women in 3rd position missed her DD in round 2. She seemed very bright and was quick on the buzzer, too. A missed DD in round 2 could be his downfall.

rxlawdude | 11 april 2019

@Barry, good analysis. He's not infallible.

barrykmd | 11 april 2019

Here's yesterday's online test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdnjwYLyXLQ

It seemed tougher to me, especially at the beginning, but I wound up with the same number correct. Of course I had a few "oh yeah" moments when I looked up the answers.

Good luck tonite, Rx!

barrykmd | 12 april 2019

Third test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF11TpIoITU

I found this one easier, maybe because there were more science questions. I got 39. Had a couple "this river starts with C" moments on the opera and Tom Hanks questions. On Tom Hanks, all I could think of was Castaway, but I knew that wasn't right.

So how did it go, Rx?

rxlawdude | 12 april 2019

Well, I got sucked into reviewing a bunch of pending bills for a Committee I chair, and time got away from me do I missed the test.

Oh well. Next year.

PhillyGal | 12 april 2019

Love me some Jeopardy, but hard to watch because in our market, it's on at 7pm. (Apparently some places it's on 7:30, which I'm super jealous of!)

I have caught some of this current champ's episodes in the background while playing with the kiddo.

barrykmd | 12 april 2019

PG - Here it's on at 6 PM, which is kind of annoying, and it's preempted by some sports games. I have it set to DVR and if I happen to catch it live, I just delete the recording. Sometimes I just watch the recording anyway, so I can FF through the commercials. The show is really 19 minutes!

rxlawdude | 12 april 2019

@barry, that's what we do - record the series on the DVR and watch (sans commercials). Almost a nightly ritual when we're home.

PBEndo | 19 april 2019

I have an idea.
The current champ James, setting several new records for single show winnings, is popular with the viewers. He started shortly after Trebek made his cancer announcement. I propose that Jeopardy have a tournament with Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter and James Holzhauer with all or a large portion of the winnings going to pancreatic cancer research or to the American Cancer Society. The viewership would be Huge...Huuuuge!

rxlawdude | 19 april 2019

James is amazing, but his smile creeps me out.

PBEndo | 19 april 2019

@rx
I agree on the smile, and as a dentist I know smiles.

barrykmd | 19 april 2019

He got off to a rocky start today. Probably because it's the 5th game he taped in a day, so he was tired. They tape 5 episodes per day, twice a week.

Bighorn | 20 april 2019

The ennui and blasé attitude as he’s on a run is not particularly endearing. He’s very beatable depending on who hits the Doubles. Interesting to see other contestants employ his strategy. Clearly lacks common sense based on his major fails with the outdoors.
@barry
Do you know at which point Alex’s diagnosis becomes public on the televised schedule?

rxlawdude | 20 april 2019

They're up to February tapings airing now, so probably not too much longer.

Bighorn | 20 april 2019

If he announces his diagnosis in front of James, who wants to bet he flashes his weird, inappropriate smile:)

barrykmd | 20 april 2019

I read somewhere they have finished taping this season, which airs into June or July. I recall when Ken Jennings was on, the story of his defeat leaked early, probably from someone in the studio audience. Haven't heard any such thing about James.

Yes, the only way to beat him is to employ his strategy and beat him to the DDs. He clearly has a home field advantage in round 2, as the other two have to get used to the buzzer.

I'd be surprised if Alex is back next season, given the ominous prognosis for pancreatic ca, especially stage 4. I also read somewhere that Buzzy Cohen was in the studio audience recently. He could be a contender for host. Another possibility is Brad Rutter.

Bighorn | 20 april 2019

The only spoilers would be for folks who broke the rules:)

Bighorn | 20 april 2019

Buddy would be good. I couldn’t watch Brad or Ken or Austin. Better yet, Alex Jacob for name continuity:)

barrykmd | 20 april 2019

I didn't like Alex Jacob. he has a very flat affect and speaking voice.

BTW, speaking of 404 from the other thread, I saw a plate on a Tesla that was "GAS 404." Cracked me up. I wonder what percentage of people got it.

NKYTA | 20 april 2019

You mean not everyone translates HTTP error codes in their head??

I thought Ryan Seacrest was the odds on favorite...

Bighorn | 20 april 2019

@barry
I remember him as more gregarious on his original appearance. He's let himself go a bit. I unfortunately was on the road for the last few team championship games and I don't DVR.
I think we can agree Matt Jackson and Alan Lin would be horrible choices. I'm partial to Leonard Cooper as a Brown alum, but he's young. Colby might be fun, but he'd probably start the show with a dance like Ellen:)

NKYTA | 20 april 2019

Caught up. Amazing.

Aside from the freaky smile, I have to think he has a photographic memory.
I keep trying, but apparently it is a genetic thing.

I sort have maps “in my head”, but just like Tesla’s Nav, I might wind up on a Frontage road.

barrykmd | 20 april 2019

BH - Agree about Matt and Alan. I don't think remember Leonard. Who knows - maybe it will be Pat Sajak :-)

NKYTA - I have a photographic memory, but I ran out of film a long time ago.
Does that joke need to be updated for the digital age?

Pages