Forums

Near miss collision with a deer. Smart deer, nimble car. Front and side footage . Will AP save us from deer / people collisoins?

Near miss collision with a deer. Smart deer, nimble car. Front and side footage . Will AP save us from deer / people collisoins?

All happened faster than it looks. You can get a sense of the speed in the side camera. EAP was on. I will never know if AP would have taken over or not if I had not taken manual evasive action. I was glancing to the right and as soon as I my eyes return to the center of the road the visuals of the deer finished processing through my brain. Its far to easy to have moments of not looking center straight ahead with eap engaged. I cant imagine being able to pull off a quick reaction jolt like I did with my old F-150 that I retired.

Something to think about with FSD that will come to fruition soon. How will it handle smaller objects such as deer or people that will be crossing roads with high speed cars?

https://youtu.be/gVpGajUgeGo

Carl Thompson | 14 april 2019

Honestly that maneuver doesn't look like anything that required a Tesla. And the footage makes it appear that you took a very long time to react to the deer. If you'd reacted sooner it wouldn't even have been close.

But I'm glad you, your car and the deer are all fine.

(Personally I don't have a problem with you posting your referral code. Though I wouldn't do it myself.)

TAC | 14 april 2019

Cool.

Bighorn | 14 april 2019

I know the car will steer away from a car on its own, but I don't think it's ready to evade peds or varmin yet. Will be nice when that comes online, living in deer/elk/moose country. Fortunately, the pronghorns know better.

TAC | 14 april 2019

Yes I think its not totally there yet however will be soon. New to the much better illumination from the model 3 comparing to my previous vehicle I actually seen 3 road creatures this same night. The deer of course, then a giant possum and then an unidentified varmint. Must be spring stirring up the creatures of the night.

PECo CT | 15 april 2019

Nice driving and thanks for posting the video.

wiboater4 | 15 april 2019

It's a judgement descisiion when driving manually. swerving may be worse than hitting the deer in certain cases so the car would need to be able to figure that out.

Bighorn | 15 april 2019

My insurance gal told me not to try avoid an inevitable animal hit because a comprehensive coverage claim doesn’t jack up your rate like a collision would. Better to hit a deer than a tree or anything stationary that is deemed your fault.

Bighorn | 15 april 2019

or another vehicle

Mike UpNorth | 15 april 2019

Nice video.

Magic 8 Ball | 15 april 2019

Begs the question where do you mount the deer whistles on a

Begs the question where do you mount the deer whistles on a

on a 3?

andy.connor.e | 15 april 2019

I hear thats what is so desirable about Teslas in Norway. They have moose.

TAC | 15 april 2019

yes, this happened on my 3.

@Bighorn, I cant imagine going through and hitting a dear without an evasive attempt. Have you seen what they can do cars? The deer could take your place in the drivers seat after the possibility of coming through your windshield. Being impaled by a deer hooves doesn't sound like any picnic.

Bighorn | 15 april 2019

Definitely know of people who've died from deer in the cabin. I make evasive maneuvers--just thought it was interesting that an insurance professional would advise otherwise.

TAC | 15 april 2019

If your dead no claim to pay? Yah thats messed up honestly that someone would say go ahead and hit it imo.

jim | 15 april 2019

@M8B you drop the rear seats and put the deer in the back. Just have to hope the deer doesn't come to and bite you in the neck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty6JPyr2XZ0

They really should move those deer crossings to safer places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8UPHMzZm8

TeslaEdison | 15 april 2019

It beg the question what AP would have done if the driver did not react? from the video, it seems AP did not do anything up to that point which is ms before impact, my guess AP would not have done anything if the driver did not interfere.

Carl Thompson | 15 april 2019

@Bighorn:
"My insurance gal told me not to try avoid an inevitable animal hit because a comprehensive coverage claim doesn’t jack up your rate like a collision would. Better to hit a deer than a tree or anything stationary that is deemed your fault."

This makes sense if a few dollars is more important to you than an animal's preventable suffering.

@TeslaEdison

AP was not enabled.

@CT Seriously, I knew you were an idiot but wow, just wow!

TeslaEdison | 15 april 2019

OP said EAP was on. @Carl Thompson

@TeslaEdison:
"OP said EAP was on."

Weird. In a previous version of this thread I'm pretty sure he said AP was OFF.

TAC | 15 april 2019

It was 100% on I can assure you that. I think on the other thread I worded it something like Not AP evasion or something.

Carl is off on his meds. He can't keep track and he thinks you should drive your car into a tree to save a sweet innocent bambi that jumps out in front of you.

geedub1023 | 15 april 2019

An animal's preventable suffering? WTH? If it suffers after running into or being hit by a vehicle I guarantee it's only for a millisecond or so.

TAC | 15 april 2019

I disagree a death can be slow and painful too. Too many variables with physics to know how the death / injury would play out.

@M8B

Yes, I would much rather hit a tree than a deer. Sorry if that offends you.

But that's not exactly what @Bighorn's quote said. It was more along the lines of don't _risk_ hitting a tree by trying to avoid hitting an animal because hitting a tree will raise your insurance rates and hitting an animal won't. I disagree with that money-over-life logic.

@geedub1023:
"An animal's preventable suffering? WTH? If it suffers after running into or being hit by a vehicle I guarantee it's only for a millisecond or so."

Real life is not a cartoon. There is very rarely a such thing as an instant death.

Me: "I disagree with that money-over-life logic."

More precisely it _is_ logical. But I disagree with it morally.

@Carl So you don't spend money to eat things that were living? Do tell.

Bighorn | 15 april 2019

@jim
I was thinking about posting the Bambulance call:)

In Wyoming, a driver who hits a deer has an expectation place on them to end any suffering. Hitting a tree is a lot more lethal to the occupants than tagging a deer. I hope AI doesn't get programmed to choose the tree.

Coyotes don't seem to get much the same respect in WY : (.

@Magic 8 Ball:
"Carl So you don't spend money to eat things that were living? Do tell."

Sure do. The rarer the better. Venison chili is especially delicious.

@Carl Seems to contradict your life over money but if you want to injure yourself and kill a tree that could live hundreds of years, vs a few, and hurt yourself and put rescuers and others at risk by making your stupid decision I can't stop you but dang, you are messed up.

@Magic 8 Ball

You're being an overly simplistic idiot, as usual.

There is no guarantee that you'll hit a tree and hurt yourself if you try to avoid hitting a deer.

The OP himself swerved, avoided the deer and he and his car were fine. What he _didn't_ do was decide not to attempt avoiding the deer because he didn't want to risk his insurance going up if he accidentally hit a tree.

TAC | 15 april 2019

I would avoid both the tree and the deer. The m3 breaking is phenomenal.

TAC | 15 april 2019

Can we just get a pop up lever that throws the car to drive on its front right and back right wheel so we can drive in-between the deer and the tree! Ha!

Bighorn | 15 april 2019

@M8B
Are you thinking of wolves?
I was convoying in Kansas toward Denver with a new 3 owner I met at a supercharger and a coyote went between us--took out his radiator. 800 dollar tow and then a 7 week repair. I'm very vigilant for wildlife. We have a herd of deer living on our property. i've had to help free deer caught in wire fencing and comfort those dying of chronic wasting disease.

Magic 8 Ball | 16 april 2019

@Carl You ignorant slut, context of conversation is everything.

Bighorn's insurance person talks the right talk. We were talking in context if it is better to hit a deer, tree, stationary object and then he later followed up with vehicle. The fact is when these things happen most are jacked up on adrenaline when it happens so the reaction is usually not well thought out. Planting the idea that you should hit a deer instead of HITTING something else is sound.

Bighorn | 16 april 2019

@M8B
Hadn't ever heard of that happening in WY, but nothing surprises me with some people. Several doctors I worked with did horrible things in Africa including slaughtering primates by the truckload. Trophy hunting makes me believe in capital punishment because there's no question as to guilt with the documentary photos.

It bums me because WY legislation allows it. Good point on capital punishment which I am against in all cases. Trophy hunters should be locked in a cage in a zoo and the animals let free.

sergei3 | 22 april 2019

Would be nice to have deer's and etc. detection. My near miss https://www.youtube.com/3_2QEfXCcvI