Forums

Any downsides to installing the Tesla roof rack?

Any downsides to installing the Tesla roof rack?

I wanted to know from someone who has the Tesla rook rack on a model 3

1. Is it difficult to install?
2. Do you take it on and off and how long does that process take?
3. Does the mounting points create any damage? Like maybe window tinting damage or scratches to paint for glass for example?

I have read the threads regarding less aerodynamic distance but that is a fact of life when carrying something on the roof of a car for any time of car.

Thank you!

rdavis | 5 maj 2019

Driving into a parking deck with your bike ok too would be a downside... ;)

rdavis | 5 maj 2019

^on top..

justincouv | 5 maj 2019

1) no. I’m not super handy and I got it in about 30 minutes. Don’t rush it the first time and you’ll be fine
2) not generally. It would be pretty quick to remove but there are some plastic stickers that go on the paint mount point that I’m not crazy about. Basically, they have some bubbles and stuff I was t able to get out. If you find a solution for this pls let me know but other than that the rack looks great and I intend to keep it on most times.
3). Comes with 3M sticker that goes on the paint surface so as not to scratch the paint. Excellent design but i wasn’t able to put them on without some bubbles showing.

Hope that helps. I’m personally happy to have the flexibility the rack offers and didn’t want to worry about voiding anything or being tempted to pull something I shouldn’t with an aftermarket hitch

justincouv | 5 maj 2019

1) no. I’m not super handy and I got it in about 30 minutes. Don’t rush it the first time and you’ll be fine
2) not generally. It would be pretty quick to remove but there are some plastic stickers that go on the paint mount point that I’m not crazy about. Basically, they have some bubbles and stuff I was t able to get out. If you find a solution for this pls let me know but other than that the rack looks great and I intend to keep it on most times.
3). Comes with 3M sticker that goes on the paint surface so as not to scratch the paint. Excellent design but i wasn’t able to put them on without some bubbles showing.

Hope that helps. I’m personally happy to have the flexibility the rack offers and didn’t want to worry about voiding anything or being tempted to pull something I shouldn’t with an aftermarket hitch

Kary993 | 5 maj 2019

@justincouv - Thank you very helpful!

surfpearl | 5 maj 2019

There are installation videos on-line, but it's very straight-forward. Just don't over-tighten the wingnuts. The owner's manual recommends 8 +/- 1 Nm which is too much. Hand-tightened carefully with the hex wrench is good enough. On the J-clip there is a welded bolt whose bottom side is not tapered but rather sharp and may touch the paint during the install, so be careful. I put an improvised plastic tab in that area just in case, even though I have PPF wrap there as well. I did not need to use the anti-abrasion tape provided because the PPF provides better protection anyway.
On the roof I have ClearPlex installed to protect the glass from scratches, but if you don't have anything of that sort, be very careful not to drop any parts or tools during the install. The roof rack itself does not touch the roof glass when installed properly.
I like the design and the look of the roof rack (especially when combined with the spoiler) and plan to leave it on since I use it often. The drag and range penalty are minimal and don't bother me. The leading edge does collect dead bugs, so you may have to clean it more frequently.

jrzapata | 5 maj 2019

I am not handy at all and also installed it in about 30 minutes. I was able to install it by myself but it is better if you have someone help you with the process,
I keep it installed all the time, I like the look of the car with it on, it looks sportier to me (biased opinion).
There is a little bit of noise while driving, but I got used to it very quickly.
I just use it to carry a 14 ft kayak.

vecuronium | 17 februari 2020

My wife just drove my car into garage with bike on roof. I thought it was an earthquake! Glass roof shattered. Metal frame where pillars attached bent. Rail attachments broken. 1UP bike rack broken. $3k bike broken. Claim adjuster pending. This is going to be expensive! Once fixed, I’m putting on trailer hitch. I’m done with roof rack..

stingray.don | 17 februari 2020

Wow, sorry to hear that

rxlawdude | 17 februari 2020

@vecuronium, I hope your weren't paralyzed with indecision on that. ;-)

rxlawdude | 17 februari 2020

your -> you

lessrandom | 17 februari 2020

The better guidance for tightening the nuts is to ignore Tesla's torque statement, and tighten just barely enough so the lock mechanism juuuuuust engages.

lessrandom | 17 februari 2020

Also these racks are great. Only downside is that I also installed a roof quieting kit (the stretchy tube style) and with the roof quieting kit and the roof rack both installed there is a slight whistle that developed. I put a tiny bit of electrical tape right at the leading edge of the passenger side pillar where the foot covers the roof line gap and the whistle went away.

Love the racks. They are stylish and aero and carries the Yakima SkyBox 16 really well.

moabchick | 18 februari 2020

The downside: the $1000 we paid to replace the glass when hubby accidentally drove into the garage with the bike on the roof. We now use the Stealth hitch and a 1Up rack. Still have the rails and will only use them if we need to use a roof box on a long trip.

moabchick | 18 februari 2020

The downside: the $1000 we paid to replace the glass when hubby accidentally drove into the garage with the bike on the roof. We now use the Stealth hitch and a 1Up rack. Still have the rails and will only use them if we need to use a roof box on a long trip.