Forums

Tesla Glass, Rock Chips

Tesla Glass, Rock Chips

I have now owned the M3 for 13 months, took delivery end of March 2018.

As of this morning, "4" rock chips in the glass have been repaired. 3 in the windshield, 1 on the roof. The good news is the glass hasn't required replacement, so I applaud Tesla glass for that!

But.... am I the only one having this problem? At first I thought I was unlucky... now it feels like an issue. 4 chips in 13 months?! I have never had close to that many rock chips on any other car I've owned and I'm driving the same roads now almost 20 years. I've been driving the car for 3 of the occurrences, my wife for 1 of them and they all occur on standard routes, freeway driving in pretty light traffic and normal weather conditions, not dirt roads behind a semi or in a windstorm or anything rough.

I also currently own another car, driving the same roads in the same length of time, no rock chips. Seems to me nobody is this unlucky!

Anyone else seeing this?

chamcla1 | 13 maj 2019

Just to clarify, my concern is the construction and durability of the glass. Rocks hit windshields all the time on the freeway, not all of them crack this much in my experience.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 13 maj 2019

What you describe reminds me of the bad luck I had with my Prius one year.

Magic 8 Ball | 13 maj 2019

No, you are trying to make your issue into FUD.
You have been unlucky.

johnw | 13 maj 2019

I have more chips in my model 3 windshield than any car I've owned in 30 years. I had to replace my rear glass due to a defect (spontaneous cracking) that is pretty common as well. 14k miles and I have more divots in the windshield than a golf club range for 6th graders. In case you think I'm trying to spread FUD, I'm a stock holder (not short) and I love this car 10 times more than any other I've owned. But perfect it's not. They need some better windshield engineering or better yet, figure out who supplies Toyota glass and just buy from them.

Glass on our TESLAs is perfect still, our Ford Explorer got a rock chip tho'. after we bought the TESLA.

Quit following other cars too close and when you say "common" please supply some real numbers and put that in perspective to the quarter million that are on the road now.

Those that try to use words like "common" to describe "rare" are most certainly FUDsters 100%.

johnw | 13 maj 2019

My service tech said this was a 'pretty common' issue when I asked him if it had been redesigned yet. He didn't know if it had been redesigned, but said if it breaks again to just bring it back in. I don't have stats but have seen frequent posts on this and other forums with rear glass breaking along the heating elements. Since I don't have access to Tesla's internal repair records it would be impossible for me to give you actual numbers but I've seen dozens of reports on just this forum of this specific problem.

Maybe the OP and I are the only ones who have had bad luck or happened to be driving in a micro-meteor storm together, but I doubt it.

You are adding to hyperbole. You have no real data just stories.

FUD FUD FUD

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 13 maj 2019

Post pictures of this crater covered windshield.

lbowroom | 13 maj 2019

Please list cars owned in last 30 years that had more robust glass so I can analyze data.

mrburke | 13 maj 2019

Shit happens. It seems like every nice new car I buy gets a rock chip in the first few months. M3 included.
Don't blame the car, blame the condition of our roads.

johnw | 13 maj 2019

Ok. I polished both the windshield tops of my Model 3 & Rav 4 to get rid of any bug guts or other things that look like chips and shot a video with a hand held flashlight backlighting the chips. both of these were 1 strip down on the passenger sides of both cars. I didn't clean the inside of the car so you can see some streaks but there shouldn't be any bug guts or chips inside.

Model 3 with 14k miles:

https://youtu.be/8UkRsOG3Rqs

Rav4:

https://youtu.be/M-PGKgxWcXc

I'm not saying the Model 3's windshield is unusable but it might be in another 50k miles at this rate. Certain times of the day it looks like a twinkling Christmas tree.

johnw | 13 maj 2019

@lbowroom ok:

76 Subaru wagon
79 ford thunderbird
85 Toyota Camry
89 Toyota MR2
98 Ford Taurus Wagon
98 Acura Integra GSR
04 Toyota Rav4
06 Infiniti G35x
14 Toyota Rav4

johnw | 13 maj 2019

Should have mentioned Rav4 has about 70k miles. I've been the driver for at least 40k of those miles.

coleAK | 13 maj 2019

I think it’s a combination of: low car, short hood, flat windshield angle, following too close and most of all lots of glass. Per Safelite the top 7 windshield replacements are all 1/2 ton GM trucks (Silverado, suburban, Tahoe, Sierra,...)

eandmjep | 14 maj 2019

I live in gravel pit central. 21000 miles and my tesla windshield no worse for wear that usual.

82bert | 14 maj 2019

I’m convinced it’s the height and angle of the windshield. I’m sure there are other cars similar. I’ve had a couple in one of our 3s. I just try to never get behind semis now.

Hp.1193 | 14 maj 2019

Yeah the windshield is weak. I had a CRV for 5 years and not a single chip, ever. I have like 4 tiny chips right now. Safelite couldn’t do anything since they were not deep enough but it’s annoying to look at.

You also don’t need to follow close to anyone for rocks to hit. Debris is always flying here and there.

82bert | 14 maj 2019

To be clear, I don’t think the windshield is any weaker. I’m not sure why it would be. If there is any sort of definitive data or study out there, I’d love to see it.

Hp.1193 | 14 maj 2019

Just google search “tesla windshield weak” and see the amount of posts.

Hp.1193 | 14 maj 2019

But like you said, the height is a definite disadvantage.

alisse | 14 maj 2019

I have a 2004 Infiniti G35 that has a pristine windshield, never any chips of any kind. Two months into my Model 3 ownership I got a huge (relatively speaking) one. I improved it a bit with a glass repair kit, but it's still visible --fortunately not in line-of-site. The next time I got to a detailer, I'll get it fixed.

I'm hoping it's a bizarre coincidence.

SteveWin1 | 14 maj 2019

I also feel like my windshield has taken more of a beating than past cars, but it could just be bad luck, so I'm not going to blame Tesla at this point. If enough people have an issue, hopefully they'll improve their glass.

One benefit of Tesla offering insurance on their cars is that they will be incentivized to improve stuff like this if its really an issue to keep their costs down.

lordmiller | 14 maj 2019

Must be that "soft" Tesla glass, as some genius once pointed out. These glass stories are hilarious! @Magic8Ball is correct, stop the FUD.

Hp.1193 | 14 maj 2019

We’re just having discussions haha, relax.

chamcla1 | 14 maj 2019

This isn't FUD. As a stockholder and owner, I have no time or interest in that. I'll try to post some pics.

aperfectecho | 14 maj 2019

Yup-I'd agree. The glass on the Model 3 is sub-par. My wife's Model S, almost 5 years old, has perfect glass. I have (similar to the OP) 3 repaired cracks in the front, and one repaired on the roof. Same route, same driving pattern that I did with my VW Gti, and that one had one repaired crack (then windshield replacement the day I turned it in!) in 100k miles. My Model 3 has 7k.
Can say "FUD" all you want, or "don't drive so close," but you're wrong. People are having issues with the glass, and just because you may feel your Model 3 is perfect, without fault, doesn't mean these issues are not real

Magic 8 Ball | 14 maj 2019

Unless you have a controlled experiment it is all conjecture as to whether or not TESLA glass is "sub-par".

Quit spreading FUD and speculation that TESLA glass is "sub par". I have seen several pictures of "totaled" TESLAs with glass unbroken.

Tronguy | 14 maj 2019

FWIW: The SO's car picked up a rock chip/spall last week, that we finally noticed on Saturday, about 3/4" across and, unfortunately, in the black area of the windshield. Unrepairable according to the Safelite tech, so a new windshield it is.
Wife is pretty sure it happened on a nearby interstate; she remembers the noise, but didn't see anything. (Given that it was in the black area, that explains that.)
So: Maybe it's just statistics and bad luck; it happens. But this is the first time that either of us have had a window get damaged like this, between the two of us, and that covers 40-odd years of driving and about a bunch of different cars. I mean: '71 Beetle, '76 Dodge Colt, '82 Honda Accord, '82 Toyota Camry, '75 Datsun B210, 80's Civic Station Wagon, 90's era Dodge Caravan, Toyota Sienna, Toyota Prius, 2005 Civic. Pretty much all of them have been hit by stuff that makes a noise, but this is the first time I've seen a spall like this. I remember changing out the window on the '71 Beetle, but that was because the window delamination speckles made it near impossible to see out with the sun on the windshield.
Seems that the local Safelite crowd may not have a tech capable of doing the camera alignment, but they could, somehow, find a windshield. Thought I'd call the local service center and find out if they had a windshield in stock. And that's when I discovered that it's not actually possible to talk to a human being in the parts department over there; the only thing one can do is set up an appointment, period. And that on a computer or the app.
Is that the new normal? No human beings at all unless one is buying a car?
In any case, turns out that State Farm doesn't precisely cover windshield repairs at Tesla, anyway. That is: One can go and get the windshield replaced at Tesla. Then the insurance company will scout around and find the "typical" cost for a windshield repair, subtract that and the deductible off of Tesla's charge, and we'd pay the difference. With Safelite and a slew of other local shops, though, it's just the deductible, even if the local shop subcontracts it out to Tesla. Go figure.

@Magic 8 Ball-my "speculation" is just as valid as your own. Stop drinking the Kool Aid.

Seems like there are PLENTY of reports across various fora as to this "sub par" glass problem

So many people so desperate to lay blame without trying to find real data. So sad.

@aperfectecho The burden of proof is on you. You have proved no proof of sub-par glass. Stories, speculation, and conjecture is not proof.

Hp.1193 | 14 maj 2019

There are specific users on here that you'll notice that [appear] to have all the answers in the world and are literally just on here to shut you down. Don't let that happen to you guys.

The never ending battle between the advocates and the nay sayer trolls continues...........................

Do not pay attention to conjecture and speculation, demand proof by way of controlled experiment, everything else is BULLSHIT.

Including your conjecture, and speculation, @Magic 8 Ball

Hp.1193 | 14 maj 2019

Anytime I see Magic 8 Ball, this is the perfect meme.

https://imgur.com/t/reaction_gif/KiBQh

Its actually getting comical now hahaha.

@aperfectocho You make the initial claim prove it. I see you can't so you are going with rubber and glue.

Foottraffic | 14 maj 2019

I would chuck it to bad luck. Just take a look at your front bumper and see how many impact marks there are from road debris. I would speculate what is on the windshield pales in comparison to what’s is on the bumper . However, you don’t have to stare at the bumper every time you sit behind the wheel. Out of sight out of mind.

@Magic-didn't make the initial claim. My own experience, having driven multiple cars with windshields, experience with another Tesla, friends with Teslas, and reading forum threads from actual users with similar experiences.

I think we will see more and more of these issues, before the problem is corrected.

chamcla1 | 14 maj 2019

I'll just reiterate that as a stockholder I have no incentive to post something disingenuous. I firmly support Tesla's efforts to change the auto industry for the right reasons. This glass thing "appears" to be an issue to me, but I could be extremely unlucky for sure. I admit that.

My bumper is clean. I have zero chips on the hood. I have 3 chips in the windshield and 1 on the roof. These are the facts.

I'll see about posting pics later today.

Joshan | 14 maj 2019

I havce 3 nasty chips in my hood, but no windshield issues yet. But the scraped are down to the metal, I need some touchup paint!

@aperfectecho In the conversation between me and you (your remark that I replied to you about) you made the claim that the glass is sub par. You just have one little thing to do to support that claim. Provide data from a controlled experiment. That goes for everyone else.

Trolls use conjecture to spread FUD!

Tronguy | 14 maj 2019

@M8B: OK. So, speaking statistically, there's the possibility that a car make and model, any make and model, may have a Problem With Fragile Windshields. Great. It's the beginnings of a hypothesis to make such a claim.
So, the way I see it, the only way to prove or disprove such an allegation would be on a per make and model basis, tot up the number of miles driven across the fleet of that make and model over a large enough period of time so one has a decent sample set, then divide that number by the number of busted windshields encountered.
Lather, rinse, and repeat for every make and model (and probably year) of car. Now one can plot bar graphs of miles per broken window.
Not something that I, personally, can do. Although the crowd that I work for does similar pareto charts on the gear we all build for a living.
Are you aware of any such database, partial or not, that is published somewhere? I think on one of the threads it was mentioned that Safelite published something...
Finally: Data is data. And, yeah, on the internet nobody knows one is a dog. So, as fuzzy and prone to error posts in this forum (and probably others) are, I find it interesting that busted windshields keep on coming up as an issue; this isn't the firsts thread around these parts that talks about this. As a comparison, I used to hang out pretty thoroughly on the priuschat forums. I honestly don't remember anything about windshields, meaning that (a) it was probably below my personal threshold of "that's odd" and/or (b) there were no such reports. So, that's another one of those maybe-it-is, maybe-it's-not data points, but interesting nonetheless.
You're right about stats, though: There's probably some poor bastard out there with a car with a near-impervious windshield who breaks one every week, but that's the breaks with Gaussian curves. So, it's not outside the realm of possibility that some members on this forum have had multiple busted windshields. But the fact that there's any, given that the vast majority of Tesla owners probably don't frequent these forums: The definitely trips the "Geez, that's odd" meter.
Now we need stats. Where do we get them?

finman100 | 14 maj 2019

My theory is the plethora of large, tall, vehicles compared to a low-slung sexy Tesla Model 3. Plus we Tesla drivers of the Model 3 persuasion are pretty prone to driving A LOT due to the sheer joy of the car(s).

Just a theory. plus i got my word of the day in, plethora.

My glass at 12k miles (in 6 months) is dinged and chipped in 3 places...but all lower down below sight lines. Hood has two rock chips and bumper is nicked a bit from various road debris. Cheapo basic black no-charge color! Seems normal so far.

Enjoy.

PS My other theory is the paint won't last because I'm washing this car more than any other, haha. A dirty Tesla is not good advertising.

You can start by running an experiment yourself. Go to a wrecking yard or somewhere and get a bunch of windshields and start firing the same projectiles at them, with control of velocity, shape, etc. Do same with TESLA windshield. Do it on the cheap at first (go find broken windshields, that are free, and fire the bullets or rocks or whatever at unbrokent parts). When you dial in your experimental method go buy a new TESLA, MB, Lotus, BMW, Porsche, etc. windshield and do the experiment.

The variables that can lead to getting a broken windshield are staggering.

DCComet | 14 maj 2019

In the process of delivering our Tesla to our house (5 miles from the Service Center) the driver hit a rock and cracked the windshield. Oops.

...or you could simply ignore the problem, despite what you're seeing.
I agree, independent, objective testing would be great, but don't discount what people are experiencing despite your lack of such an experiment

@aperfectecho Define the problem first. In my mind the problem is uneducated people jumping to conclusions without validated data.

If there were only some agency regulations that windshield must meet:

http://www.carwindshields.info/fmvss205

Oh, there is, do you think they come up with standards without testing?

Foottraffic | 14 maj 2019

@DCComet. “In the process of delivering our Tesla to our house (5 miles from the Service Center) the driver hit a rock and cracked the windshield. Oops.”

That’s good and bad luck at the same time. Bad luck that the windshield was crack. Good luck that it was the Tesla guy delivering it rather than you taking it home and having the misfortune of hitting said same rock. I can just imagine the many hundreds of dollars you have had to pay for a new windshield.

@Magic-so, every car out there has the exact same composition/construction to their windshields? Yes, I understand, there is a standard to meet. Beyond that, are some better than others? Do I want my car, or house, built to the lowest possible spec that meets those standards? Or, would I want a better-quality option in certain circumstances?
For me, I want a better-spec windshield than the one delivered on my Model 3. Same goes for the roof. I love the look, but mine's already pitted, and cracked, and this has happened in 7k miles.
Much better experience in every other car I've owned, in comparison. Another comparison is my wife's Model S, with 30k + miles in almost 5 years. No pits, no cracks. Windshield and glass sunroof appear as-new.

I'm not the only one with this issue. You can deny that there's a problem, but people are posting threads about it with similar experiences-is everyone "following too closely," or overreacting?

Pages