Forums

Speaking of radar

Speaking of radar

I just noticed while sitting at a stop light that my cruise control was locking onto and reading the speed of cars that were turning onto the road in front of me. Are we setting off radar detectors and what band would it be?

dwakelee | 14 maj 2019

I noticed the same thing last week while stopped and waiting to cross a one way bridge. The circle with the cruise set speed changed in function - giving an accurate representation of the approaching vehicle's speed. Seems like a new thing - perhaps only when stopped?

Automotive adaptive cruise control radar works in the 76-77GHz band. The FCC recently opened the frequency band up to 81GHz, and new vehicles in the future will make use of this extra space. X, K, Ka radar bands are much lower in frequency. Radar detectors are not affected by the Tesla or other brands radar systems.

dwakelee | 14 maj 2019

one 'lane' bridge

CharleyBC | 14 maj 2019

Wait, what? Really? What software are you two running? So in the circle where it would normally show the intended cruise control speed, it instead shows the speed of an approaching vehicle? Cool. I haven't decided whether there's a practical use case, but cool nonetheless.

Bighorn | 14 maj 2019

Thanks dwakelee
I’m running 12.1.2 and I was seeing the speed of cars that were going away from me in my lane, which would be my speed if I activated cruise control, they being my lead vehicle.

CharleyBC | 14 maj 2019

I'll watch for this!

majassow | 14 maj 2019

My take was it was the obstacle reduced acceleration feature.
As cars are in front, TACC was limiting to 18mph. When clear: no limit...

Bighorn | 14 maj 2019

@Majassow
I also saw 18 MPH, so that could be a possibility, but I don’t think I have that feature active unless the FW update toggled it on.

dwakelee | 14 maj 2019

Same story for me - could have been 18 MPH (was definitely less than 20, and more than 15). Will have to watch more closely next time. I go over the same bridge every workday, just cars aren't always coming the other way. I never noticed this behavior until just recently, however.

Firmware 12.1.2 as well. Just checked, and obstacle aware acceleration option is still off.

kevin_rf | 14 maj 2019

Sounds like a fun easter egg. Going to need to try it.

spuzzz123 | 15 maj 2019

Don’t go making any citizens arrests now

cmh95628 | 15 maj 2019

I too have seen the "18 mph" as a TACC set speed. I will have to keep an eye out for nearby vehicles now...

lordmiller | 15 maj 2019

I always see 18 as well. Just thought because my sons little league baseball number is 18. Hmmmmmmmm!