Forums

SuperCharging Overage fees

SuperCharging Overage fees

Has anyone ever been charged overage fees?

Haven't seen anyone post it on the forums so thought I'd ask.

CharleyBC | 10 juli 2019

You mean for staying too long? Yes, once, and it was a close one. My wife took a one-minute penalty fee. It showed up in the receipt in our Supercharging history page.

Bighorn | 10 juli 2019

Yes

CST | 10 juli 2019

@Bighorn - yours were reversed though, weren't they?

Joseb | 10 juli 2019

Do they charge even if there are more than enough available chargers at that location?
What's the time threshold for over-staying?

Magic 8 Ball | 10 juli 2019

TESLA has a nice website with the information you want on idle fees and more.

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharger-idle-fee

Joseb | 10 juli 2019

@Magic 8 Ball thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Quote:
"For every additional minute a car remains connected to the Supercharger, it will incur an idle fee. If the car is moved within 5 minutes, the fee is waived. Idle fees apply when a Supercharger station is at least 50% full, and double when the station is 100% full. To be clear, this is purely about increasing customer happiness and we hope to never make any money from it."

Bighorn | 10 juli 2019

@ CST
I had a very small one in Seaside, CA that I paid.

billlake2000 | 10 juli 2019

Bighorn, I know why you were late in Seaside. You were taking in the view of the ocean, right?

Bighorn | 11 juli 2019

I slept there and as I was readying to leave—they have an owners’ lounge—somebody arrived at dawn and started the idle clock. Got dinged for 5 minutes. I did hang out there so I could drive the coast south in the light of day. Next time I drove through, I got a room across the street, a rarity for me. Very cheap in the off season. Less than $40 and there’s a great Italian place next door.

Hp.1193 | 11 juli 2019

I’m sure a lot of you know this but setting battery to max charge from your phone is a little trick if your running a little late to get back, to avoid idle fees :)