Forums

M3 SR+'s real autonomy ...

M3 SR+'s real autonomy ...

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a M3 SR+. I live in Québec, Canada. Most of the time, 160 km (±100 miles) of autonomy should do it amply. I will also do longer trips of 300-500 km (190-250 miles) a few times a year.

Having read a lot about EVs and Tesla's, I realize that winter is a serious concern when it comes to autonomy. Cold will diminish the battery's power alone by 40%. I also have to take into account that charging my batteries to 100% should not be an habit. Let's subtract 10% here for charging it only to 90%. And finally, inevitably, I cannot use all power until empty. I have to keep a safety margin, let us put aside another 5%. All these add to 55%, leaving me with 45% of the theoretical 386km, 174 km (109 miles).

This is theoretical. What can you tell me about your real life experience in winter for longer trips ?

Thanks for helping.

Robert Lespérance
Québec, Canada

vmulla | 13 juli 2019

The generous suggested limits are between 20% and 90%. So you have to work with 70% number, and not the 85%.

To the 70% apply whatever dimished milage percentage is known for cold weather. I do not know how you came up with the 40%, that seems harsh for cold weather range drop.

vmulla | 13 juli 2019

Oh BTW, your question is range related, the title talks about autonomy - you'll get better participation if you tune the title.

Mike UpNorth | 13 juli 2019

If you don't own a Tesla how'd you create a post.

?

Lonestar10_1999 | 13 juli 2019

Apparently the forum admin can grant posting rights without requiring Tesla ownership.

Magic 8 Ball | 13 juli 2019

Yes, and they sometimes make mistakes and grant admin privileges to shysters.

dan

Magic 8 Ball | 13 juli 2019

Would not surprise me if it was a dan sock.

zerogravitydrgn | 13 juli 2019

Keep in mind the range loss is relative with the temperature. I live in New England and typical winter days are 20-30F. I don’t have the numbers off hand because honestly at those temperatures I barely noticed. Maybe 25%? We had a couple of -10F days and yah that I noticed but it wasn’t the norm

vmulla | 13 juli 2019

@zerogravitydrgn,
If you're saying ~25% range loss at 20-30F, then the usable % of the battery is 75% of the 70%. That's 52.5%

Sounds about what I'm hearing from my friends in Connecticut.

vmulla | 13 juli 2019

Before someone calls me out, that's not the usable % of the battery, but the recommended use percentage to maintain battery health.