Forums

tire question

tire question

In September 2017 we bought a new S. There is about 13,300 miles on the car and original tires. I have been somewhat anal with the tires----never had been with any other car, but for some reason I have been with the Tesla. By anal, I mean I measure the pressure about 10 times a year as the temperatures change here in New England, and I have been adjusting the air pressure accordingly.

Today I was at the SC (again just fantastic service* was received at the Dedham, MA SC), and the technician told me I would probably make it thru the winter with the tires, and when I returned in a few months for my annual check-up, they could look at them again and maybe rotate them.

This got me thinking, what type of mileage should one expect with the OEM tires----with no aggressive driving from a stop; the normal utilization of the great performance these cars offer when merging onto the highway and switching lanes?

Being as anal as I have been, I was hoping to get 25k to 30K. If it much less, so be it---no complaints from me as I love the car so much; however, I am curious as to what is considered 'normal.'

* The service was just great. My trunk wouldn't close when either of the front windows were open (go figure). About two weeks ago I swung into the SC and 2-3 folks spent 15-20 minutes trying to figure it out. Appointment was made for today when they replaced the liftgate latch power relay and the cinching actuator and made some adjustments to things. I showed up 45 minute early, and they took the car in right away and finished before my scheduled start time. Initially, they didn't think the new parts fixed the problem and offered me several options (they would give me a loaner for the day; I could wait until a seasoned technician was free to work on it; I could make an appointment for next Wednesday, as I requested, and they would give me a loaner then). As we were finalizing a time for next Wednesday the newer technician approached us and said he made an adjustment to something---and the car was now fixed. Before they brought the car around I watched them in the repair area working on my car-------putting in windshield wiper fluid; checking the tire pressure and tires; checking out the frunk to ensure it opened and closed OK; etc., etc. They asked if I wanted it washed, and I declined as I have opti-coat on parts and Xpel on most of the car.

Made a note to myself to stop in next week with goodies from the bakery.

tes-s | 22 juli 2019

My current Michelin Primacy's were put on at 133k. I'm at 165k now. Looks like I'll get about 40k miles out of this set.

NKYTA | 22 juli 2019

You 19” you!

;-)

Mathew98 | 22 juli 2019

I got 40K miles off the Goodyear Eagle RSA/2 with no rotations on a RWD S60. Yup, those precious 19" for a quarter of the price of Primacy...

jacques | 23 juli 2019

The original tires on my s 90 d. Only lasted 13000 miles of medium aggressive miles.

mdmgso | 23 juli 2019

I got 30 K miles with my S100D on the original Goodyear tires which have the sound deadening technology.. I tend to be a lead foot and that was twice what I normally could expect from the Michelins Sports on my previous BMW's and MBs. Interestingly my wife got also got 30K miles on her S75, and she is not a lead foot. We both opted for the Goodyears for replacements.

Qwiksilver | 23 juli 2019

2013 85S 74,000miles

On my second set of Michelin Primacy ‘s.
Will change get my third set around 80,000
miles.

cfishkin01 | 23 juli 2019

41K on the original Goodyear's with 3/32 left. Just replaced with same. What a difference new tires make! 2017 S75D.

cfishkin01 | 23 juli 2019

41K on the original Goodyear's with 3/32 left. Just replaced with same. What a difference new tires make! 2017 S75D.

mcmack15 | 23 juli 2019

jacques----I have the s 90 d as well. What did you get for replacement tires---are you happy with them?

Aerodyne | 23 juli 2019

My car was a demo car for 3 months and 1500 miles, so I'll bet it was launched a lot. Rears went at 25k, but fronts now at 30k with 4/32 left. OEM Michelin Primacies.

bishoppeak | 24 juli 2019

Lead foot doesn't wear tires in a Tesla. EV traction control is too effective to allow smoky burnouts or any significant slippage at all.

Bill_75D | 24 juli 2019

^^^^ This is not true.

Mathew98 | 24 juli 2019

Ditto @Bill.

Imagine shifting 5,000 lbs of pressure from the front to back and vice versa. Do it a few hundred times and your tires will get shredded prematurely.

Bighorn | 24 juli 2019

Tread lightly

barrykmd | 24 juli 2019

Don't tread on me

You guys are dreaming. Semis put enormous weight on their tires and don't "shred" them. If the tires aren't scrubbing against the pavement due to slippage or poor toe alignment, they aren't wearing excessively.

Mathew98 | 24 juli 2019

Sounds like you've never seen a semi shredding one of the massive tires on the highway.

It was a terrifying event, especially if you were behind the big rig going 80+ and the dang driver didn't event notice the debris field he left behind. I had to cut across multiple lanes and waived him over like a mad man to get his attention.

The more weight you shift erratically, the more stress you expose the tires to. Just ask all those poor souls with 10K or less on their tires.

Mathew98 | 24 juli 2019

Event/even...

GHammer | 24 juli 2019

"Semis put enormous weight on their tires and don't "shred" them"

On my recent ten thousand mile road trip it seemed like there was a shredded semi tread on the shoulder every few miles, even had to dodge a few still in the roadway. I saw highway maintenance crews with truckloads of shredded semi tires they had picked up.

Semis have 18 tires and often lose pressure in one without noticing. This makes it get very hot and melt, hence the "shredded" tires all over the highway. It's not the weight.

If poor souls get less than 10K miles on tires, their toe is way out of alignment.

Mathew98 | 24 juli 2019

Ever met any spirited drivers who track their cars? Ask those drivers how many track meets they last. Now ask the same quest to MS/M3 drivers who take their cars to track meets.

Aerodyne | 24 juli 2019

Hard cornering will def wear out tires, I am sure the car as a demo saw some of that. Hard launches too. Just because a tire does not leave rubber behind does not mean there is not an increase in wear due to increase loading.

Aerodyne | 24 juli 2019

Hard cornering will def wear out tires, I am sure the car as a demo saw some of that. Hard launches too. Just because a tire does not leave rubber behind does not mean there is not an increase in wear due to increase loading.

ST70 | 24 juli 2019

@bishoppeak- Wrong! I don't "burn rubber" but I get 12K miles on my 19s OEM Michelins. How long do you think the tires would last driving in a straight line at 300MPH (it the car could do it)? It's all about friction, heat, weight...

Bighorn | 24 juli 2019

If launches did not matter, then RWD cars should ostensibly have even wear front to back and they do not. Longevity ranges from 3k to 60k miles and I think the driver is partly responsible for that variability. Early on, the Denver service center was relating a story about a customer who wore through his tires in 4K miles and how they pulled his data and counted something like 400 launches. They blamed him for the issue.

Trigger | 25 juli 2019

I got only 20k on my original tires on my 75 S. They were Goodyear Eagle Touring M+S 245/45 R 19's The fronts still had 5 and 6 32 ends remaining. Yes when the car was new I still had a heavy right foot after owning two BMW Z roadsters. I did my research based upon predicted wear and quietness of ride I selected Pirelli Cinturata P7 All Season Plus 245/45 R 19 rated at 98V and 700 AA. I am now using "CHILL" mode and AP1 whenever applicable. I just returned from a 5000 mile round trop Houston to Spokane, WA and measured my tread depth after 8251 miles and found it to be 9/32 everywhere and 10/32 in the center rib on the front tires. As sold the tires were rated at 10/32 tread depth. I find this to be remarkably GOOD wear. On the trip I checked tire pressure with on-board diagnostics and it seldom increased more than 2 psi. This was the month of June. For that entire trip I averaged 285 wh/mi. The payload was 420 lb (Wife and I), 4 suitcases, and emergency supplies. All together about 650 pounds.
Am I happy? -- Guess so! Do I love Trigger -- YOU BET!

mbrocious67 | 25 juli 2019

My originals were replaced at 30K on my P90D. It started its life as a test drive car so maybe they could have gone 35. I am trying the Pirelli CIntauro (sp?) and so far they’ve been great.

mcmack15 | 26 juli 2019

I think they said I had 5/32 left on the front and either 3/32 or 4/32 on the rears. At what measurement should replacement tires be purchased? Any more votes for the Pirelli Cinturato all season ( I prefer all season), or other alternatives you have been happy with?

mcmack15 | 26 juli 2019

Again, we have a 2017 S model D. Thanks.

Mathew98 | 26 juli 2019

3/32nd is about the time to order replacement. Stop driving in the rain at 2/32 as there will be insufficient room to channel any water out of the thread.

ST70 | 26 juli 2019

if I replaced my tires at 5/32 I would be replacing them in 6-7K miles instead of 12K

eggbert747 | 26 juli 2019

Have the 19" Pirelli's, no real wear after 10K, very quiet, which I was after. Some say not perfect in wet conditions, but in So. Calif, not a real issue. Excellent ratings on TireRack.com

mcmack15 | 28 juli 2019

Bighorn and barrykmd---don't you get 'tired' of those old jokes as they tend to 'wear' thin. It's early on a Sunday morning--that is the best I could come up with.

Like Trigger, my original tires are Goodyear Eagle Touring M + S, 245/45 R19. Looks like I will get about 14k to 16K out of them.

When I tried doing a search (computers aren't my forte---don't think I have a forte anymore either), it seems in prior posts on this topic many favored the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+; and in this thread the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus are getting support. Thoughts on pros and cons for each to be used in New England as a year round tire would be appreciated.

dborn @nsw.au | 28 juli 2019

Totally different deal, but bicycle tyres wear. On my bike the rears more than front. Looking at load distribution, i am fairly sure that it is much greater on the rear. I also have front suspension which may also make for the difference. Almost no wear on the fronts. So i conclude that load is also important-not just leaving burning rubber on the road.

barrykmd | 28 juli 2019

dborn - about 80% of the load is on the rear tire of a bicycle. Typically, the rear tire needs to be replaced 3x as often as the front tire. I'm talking road bike. As you mentioned suspecnsion, I presume you're talking mountain bike. The suspension may affect it and I wouldn't be suprised if the load is distributed a bit more evenly, as balance is more critical.

mcquinns | 5 augusti 2019

My question is in regards to Cost for rotation and installation of 2 new 256.00 ? plus he tire costs of 460.00. my reason for not going to Costco was......

Silver2K | 6 augusti 2019

No comment :)