Forums

Broken charging port... Updated.

Broken charging port... Updated.

pictures here:https://imgur.com/a/KYg3lKf

I don't recall ever hitting the plug when it was plugged in, and I'm not sure when this happened.

I can still charge the car, but it bothers me that something designed to last on million miles fails in this way.

The broken piece is loose in the pin socket, but because of the way the spring contacts work, it won't fall out.

I have not been able to get a grip on the loose piece, so I have not been able to pull it out.

Has anyone else had this issue? How did you get the broken piece out?

Edit: I was able to remove the stuck piece of plastic by driving a dental pick into the plastic: https://imgur.com/gallery/hUWacOY That gave me just enough of a grip on the plastic to slide it past the spring loaded contacts in the socket.

Bighorn | 23 juli 2019

One component has been mentioned to have an aspirational million mile life. The motor.

RedTeslaModel3 | 24 juli 2019

This happen to me last week. Drove by a tesla service center, no appointment needed, and got this fixed under 2 mins and I was on my way again. They replaced the insulator and gave me a new charging adaptor. Didnt do any kind of paper work.

Good thing was that even with the charging unit broken, both insulators are not broken, you’ll still be able to charge just not at full speed. You’ll want to turn off the fan to get a faster charge rate.

Even with our car I think the replacement cost for this would be less than $75 for the amount of work. They used to replace the whole assembly now just putting in a new pin instead. There was no paper work whatsoever so I had no idea how much this would cost.

Also, you’ll want to get this fix asap! Depending what kind of charger, i wasnt able to charge at some of the destination chargers. Not all wall charger are the dame. I was able to charge normally on my wall charger with a broken pin, but was rejected by the mall tesla destination charger as well as charge point.

gmr6415 | 24 juli 2019

@Bighorn, Well technically speaking Elon went a little beyond the claim of the drive unit lasting 1 million miles:

Elon Musk

Verified account

@elonmusk
Follow Follow @elonmusk
More
Replying to @Gfilche
Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k.

What he meant by "body" no one but Elon knows.

Bighorn | 24 juli 2019

@gmr
Body doesn’t seem that cryptic. I have no doubt the aluminum body of my S will last given the corrosion resistance. Given the hybrid nature of the 3 build, it’s harder to discern how they’ve promoted longevity behind the use of some aluminum.

The cap on these charge are pretty much wear and tear really, just like your brakes and wipers. Theres 2 plastic cap within your charge port, they can break off on rare occasion, seeing how fast and easy they replace it, i would do it myself if inwas outside the warranty.that part is dirt cheap. When talking about concern of reliability, we should be worry about more for suspension, motor, battery, cable harness. In reality there so little moving parts in a 3 compairing to S/X, we should be ok.

With my luck: i gone through front suspension already, but this is probably due to bad batch in early 8000 vin.

douglas_peale | 24 juli 2019

I can't have the cars connector repaired until I can get the chunk of plastic out of the wall chargers socket. It would prevent me from plugging in the wall charger if I did that.
This is not limiting my charging speed, I was able to supercharge with the insulator missing. In fact I discovered this at a super-charger. I first plugged into a super-charger that refused to latch. This is what made me look at the connector and notice the damage. I was able to move to a different stall and charge, so the initial problem was with the super-charger, not the car.

BluZen | 4 augusti 2019

I had a similar issue today. I went to charge in my garage and could not get the mobile connector seated. When I looked more closely the black insulator was turned on it's side. I used a plastic tie strap to attempt to extract it and it fell to the lower section of the charge box and eventually fell into a hole in that location where it completely disappeared. Looking at the whole part in other posts it looks like even if I was able to retrieve the black insulator I would not have been able to put it back on.
I was able to get the car to start charging, just without the black insulator. My car is a month and half old so I am surprised that this components has already broken off. I will be giving my local Tesla service center a call. Hopefully this is under warranty.

ckyork08 | 30 oktober 2019

The same thing happened to me today. I extracted the small black piece out of the socket with some jewelry needle nose pliers. However, my home charge cord still won’t seat and charge the car. Is there anything special to do to get the charge cable to seat and charge the car?

calvin940 | 30 oktober 2019

This was a service bulletin replacement. There were actually 2 separate line item issues in my last mobile tech visit:

==========================================================
Concern: Replace Charge Port Carrier Assembly For Ice Buildup, Eastern Canada
Correction: Replace Charge Port Carrier and Latch Actuator
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
LATCH SUB ASSY,SERVICE,CP,NA,M3(1492302-10-B) 1.0

Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty 0.00

Concern: Replace Charge Port Pin Deadfronts
Correction: Replace Charge Port Insulator Pins With Updated Parts
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
DEADFRONT,PIN,CP,M3,SERVICE(1470434-00-C) 2.0

Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty 0.00
=====================================================

coselectric | 30 oktober 2019

+1 calvin940. Here's the NHTSA link to the service bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154509-9999.pdf

If this happens to you, contact Tesla service. They can send a mobile ranger to do the repair/upgrade, takes about 5 minutes, or you can take the car to the Tesla SC to have it done.

I actually had the unique experience of having a Tesla mobile tech knock on my door last week about this, unsolicited. Yes, seriously. He was in the neighborhood working on a neighbor's car, my wife waved at him as she drove past, and then he showed up at our door 5 minutes later. He introduced himself and then mentioned this service bulletin and offered to preemptively do the fix on the charger locking pins if he wanted. I of course agreed, and he had it done in 5 minutes. (I have to say, I can't remember the last time the Mazda or Ford dealer knocked on my door to fix a recall conveniently at my house...)

Bighorn | 30 oktober 2019

Is there a VIN range? It’s referenced but not noted.

coselectric | 31 oktober 2019

VIN range is not specifically provided. The guidance near the bottom of the service bulletin is:

"Affected VIN(s) Affected Model 3 vehicles built before approximately November 6, 2018

NOTE: This is a simplified summary of the affected VIN list. Refer to the VIN/Bulletin Tracker or
Customer/Vehicle profile to determine applicability of this bulletin for a particular vehicle."

I don't know how to access the "VIN/Bulletin Tracker" - maybe someone else knows. The second statement on Customer/Vehicle profile implies that it would be listed in your profile on your Tesla account, but I do not recall ever seeing anything about it there.

Bighorn | 31 oktober 2019

Thanks. I’ve done a lot of supercharging and haven’t had it break on my August 2018, and I’ve had people show me their broken part at SCs.

calvin940 | 31 oktober 2019

I didn't have it happen either. Mine was shipped to SC on Sept 25, 2018 and I received it Oct 1, 2018. I wonder if the closer the production date to November 6, 2018, the less likely it was to have this issue. I'll have to check the production date on mine.

coselectric | 31 oktober 2019

Quick Google search revealed this for "Tesla vin/bulletin tracker": https://www.tesla.com/vin-recall-search.

I entered my VIN. My car is not listed despite having the issue corrected by mobile service last week.

BTW, the NHTSA has its own VIN recall lookup at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls. Entering my VIN here revealed nothing useful either, although I learned that my mom's Subaru has a recall for an ignition coil problem requiring her to bring it to the dealer for an engine computer software update. Imagine having to bring your car into the dealer for software updates - how quaint!

Bighorn | 31 oktober 2019

@cos
Thanks--nothing on VIN search, though if it's a TSB, it's not technically a recall I'm guessing.

spuzzz123 | 31 oktober 2019

It broke on me and I didn’t know it...technician said they sometimes stick to superchargers. It never stopped me from plugging in or initiating a charge. The only reason I found out was my home mobile charge adaptor began over heating and sending messages saying charging was stopped. They fixed the part and replace my mobile unit free. No problems since.

rxlawdude | 31 oktober 2019

@Big is correct. A TSB is not a recall.

In fact, there is no legal meaning to "Technical Service Bulletin."

jimglas | 31 oktober 2019

Mine is fine and was delivered in that window. Makes me worried about my roadtrip this weekend

calvin940 | 31 oktober 2019

It still charges ok with the missing pin casing. The real issue is with it sticking in the actual charging connector/plug at your home or in the Supercharger.

I wouldn't worry about your trip.

KEVITRA | 10 februari 2020

Adding my car to the list. It is an April 2019 car so much newer than the range in that bulletin. I am still able to charge as the piece fell off inside the car.