Forums

drove my car till 9 mile of charge on it !!

drove my car till 9 mile of charge on it !!

whats the lowest you have gone with your tesla ? Was it a false reading and mileage start to go down quickly ?

wiscy67 | 19 augusti 2019

Arrived home with 19 miles left after my first road trip and before I learned how to drive it efficiently. I don't expect that to happen again.

In another tesla forum a poster shared his experience of completely depleting his battery (Model S) and having to be towed to SC. https://bit.ly/2ZjfpSE

Tronguy | 19 augusti 2019

Down to about 13. We saw the battery getting lower, but it seemed to be tracking the distance to home pretty well, so wheeled it right in and set it to charge.

jimglas | 19 augusti 2019

23 once

Tronguy | 19 augusti 2019

And, now that I think of it: That mileage-left indicator in the Tesla is another one of its advantage over ICE-powered cars. How Much Gas Is In The Tank is, to a large extent, a Mystery. Even people who run fleets of large, commercial airliners where (a) Knowing Just How Much Is In The Tank, because (b) Running Out Of Gas At Altitude Is Very Embarrassing, have issues with fuel tank indicators. Anybody who can get a fuel tank indicator to show accuracy to, say, 5% will have the world beating a path to their door. The Battery Management System (BMS) is probably accurate to a couple of percent, reliably, which is tons better than any gas powered car I've ever owned.
So, if it says 20 miles to empty, and it's 5 miles to destination, you'll make it every time. Not so true for a gas powered car.

Bighorn | 19 augusti 2019
CharleyBC | 19 augusti 2019

Wasn't there another thread on this just today? 7.

Bighorn | 19 augusti 2019

@charley
Same exact guy except he drove a few more miles into the battery today.

N8778204151 | 19 augusti 2019

There is one night I drove my car home and arrived home with only 2 miles.
I had lots of anxiety on freeway but relaxed after I exit the freeway and arrived home with 2 miles left.

spuzzz123 | 20 augusti 2019

Aaron why the obsession with pushing the limit? Worried about it? Want others to worry about it?

bruryan | 20 augusti 2019

And, now that I think of it: That mileage-left indicator in the Tesla is another one of its advantage over ICE-powered cars. How Much Gas Is In The Tank is, to a large extent, a Mystery. Even people who run fleets of large, commercial airliners where (a) Knowing Just How Much Is In The Tank, because (b) Running Out Of Gas At Altitude Is Very Embarrassing, have issues with fuel tank indicators. Anybody who can get a fuel tank indicator to show accuracy to, say, 5% will have the world beating a path to their door. The Battery Management System (BMS) is probably accurate to a couple of percent, reliably, which is tons better than any gas powered car I've ever owned.
So, if it says 20 miles to empty, and it's 5 miles to destination, you'll make it every time. Not so true for a gas powered car.
Except if you have a five mile uphill driveway in which case you might not have made it home. And the jet too doesn't know if there is headwinds or tailwinds that can change all computations on fuel use. And The amount of fuel used metering done by the ecu on a modern ice is very accurate. Up until driving conditions change, just like an ev driving uphill after having come from level or downhill is really going to make the trip dicy if you are near empty.
In the same way, the ecu will tell a gas driver he is using no gas coasting down a hill, in an ev it's a joy to come down a mountain pass with more milage than when you charged to the night before.

kevin_rf | 20 augusti 2019

To make it home last night, my estimated SOC was below 5%, so I stopped at an SC walked into a food place, and the car was ready before I had even finished my order. Had to book out across the parking lot, unplug, repark, and then get my food.

Darn you Tesla and your 150 Kw SC's. Though, it did look cute under the double rainbow.

jjgunn | 20 augusti 2019

Ran it down to 19 miles last night. (6%) -- took 40 minutes SuperCharging to get it to 87% (272 miles).

Probably won't push it any further. No reason to.