Forums

Web browser

Web browser

Hello. Does anyone have any idea if the web browser will ever become available for the standard m3?

dwehab | 5 september 2019

I wouldn’t mind paying for the upgrade if they had a download available. From what I’ve read the new browser is pretty fast compared to the older one.

Thrillion | 5 september 2019

Honestly its not worth it. While Tesla has tried to improve the consistency and speed of the browser, its still spotty and slow compared to the most basic of smart phones.

gmr6415 | 5 september 2019

As compared to the previous browser it's been greatly improved. I find as long as there is a good LTE signal it works great and Tesla has talked of more improvements such as streaming video while the car is parked.

Personally I'd much rather look at a web browser on a large screen than on a smart phone.

I don't know the additional cost, but I think it's like most any of the software features on the car...they will only improve with time.

Garyeop | 5 september 2019

All I want is a weather overlay on the map...and this ashtray...(The Jerk)

steveishere | 5 september 2019

I liked it, the new browser is decently fast. Maybe not as fast as my phone but I can check email and use messaging webapps (Slack, Google Hangout...) without problem.

It's also more reliable than my phone (T-mobile) in remote areas, and like other said, I rather read article from my M3 larger screen than my phone's screen.

Daryl | 5 september 2019

I tried to book a hotel on the browser recently while traveling, but finally had to give up and pulled out my iPad.

The car web browser just wasn't compatible, buttons didn't work, not everything appeared on the screen.

It's OK for reading a news feed or Google searches, but not a lot more.

calvin940 | 5 september 2019

I find the browser much improved. It's not as spry as laptop or tablet ones , but still decent for most of what you need. You can't really pull up an ipad/tablet browser if it doesn't have a sim and then having to hotspot your phone everytime you want to search for something is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. I find the browser decent enough for general things plus I expect it to improve over time as well (as it has done already).

dave.swartz | 5 september 2019

Now that Apple Music is available via browser (beta.music.apple.com) it would be nice if audio streaming would be allowed on the browser.

Joseb | 5 september 2019

Is pretty decent, have no complains.

TeslaTap.com | 5 september 2019

@dwehab - Not sure it was clear, but the browser has been available in the Model 3 LR for many months. It's not available in the SR/SR+. No idea if Tesla will offer a paid upgrade for the Browser and other features only in the LR.

With the new browser and MCU2 (the new faster CPU in M3 and later S/X models), it is reasonable. It's not going to match the speed of a home PC on a 100 GBs network. As others pointed out, some sites are poorly designed and may not work well. Video is not allowed while driving, and currently, it is disabled in all modes. V10 is expected to add select video like Netflix when parked and you're on WiFi.

@dwehab - Not sure it was clear, but the browser has been available in the Model 3 LR for many months. It's not available in the SR/SR+. No idea if Tesla will offer a paid upgrade for the Browser and other features only in the LR.

With the new browser and MCU2 (the new faster CPU in M3 and later S/X models), it is reasonable. It's not going to match the speed of a home PC on a 100 GBs network. As others pointed out, some sites are poorly designed and may not work well. Video is not allowed while driving, and currently, it is disabled in all modes. V10 is expected to add select video like Netflix when parked and you're on WiFi.

Sorry about the double post - server had a hickup!

CaliforniaMaki808 | 5 september 2019

I'm wondering if Tesla will ever allow watch videos in the car (e.g. Youtube, mirroring from phone, media files from USB stick...).

spuzzz123 | 5 september 2019

CaliforniaMaki yes I read that v10 will allow Netflix and YouTube streaming while not driving. Probably no usb stick tho

olai.solheim | 9 september 2019

I read somewhere that Tesla is replacing its web browser for a Chromium-based browser.

Slonkis | 9 september 2019

Already done