Forums

Model S manual rear gate lift struts keep corroding

Model S manual rear gate lift struts keep corroding

I replaced my second set about a year ago $300+ and it got corroded at the joint area almost at the same spot. Now Tesla service wants another $300 to replace it (saying corrosion is not covered). I tried multiple times to explain that the problem is with the part itself because it is not well made and that It's not normal unfortunately without any success. Which brings me to my next point, what happened to good customer service ? I've spent almost a quarter of a million in Telsa products and was a huge fan. Has anyone else encounter the same problem??

TeslaTap.com | 7 oktober 2019

I've not seen the issue at all or heard of any friends having such an issue (Northern CA).

Are you in an area with salted roads or drive on the beach (i.e. salty environment)? Do you clean the suspension parts very often or not at all (i.e. spray with water during a car wash)?

Mike G | 7 oktober 2019

I had the upper attachment buckle for lift gate strut corroded (I'm in Canada). They replaced under warranty several months ago. So far so good. This part is steel so it can corrode. Mobile service technician recommended to put some lube on top of that buckle.

Qwiksilver | 7 oktober 2019

2013 85S 76,000 miles

Just had mine replaced as well for corrosion.
Glad I purchased the extended warranty

jordanrichard | 7 oktober 2019

Hmmm, over 5 1/2 years and associated 5 winters in CT and still have original struts for the frunk and rear hatch. BTW, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to periodically spray a little penetrating oil on the literal ball socket that the struts pivot on.

pastorjimkuchera | 7 oktober 2019

I thought I was seeing severe corrosion on the left tailgate strut connecting bolt of my 2014 Model S, and sadly I was right. It will be replaced next week under extended warranty. It's the only corrosion I've seen after nearly six years and 95K miles. Will coat the next one with hypoid gear grease.

Anthony J. Parisio | 7 oktober 2019

Did you look for the part on Amazon? They might have a replacement that is better for cheaper. First do a search for the serial number. If you are lucky it might be there. If not try a search for the description. Good luck.

pastorjimkuchera | 8 oktober 2019

I'll follow your lead, but the corrosion is so bad that the bolt and nut are welded togeter.

Yodrak. | 9 oktober 2019

"I replaced my second set about a year ago $300+ and it got corroded at the joint area almost at the same spot. Now Tesla service wants another $300 to replace it ...

Thanks for posting this experience. I will keep an eye on my hatchback struts, and keep them clean and lubricated in that area.

johnthomasegan | 15 oktober 2019

Clearly a cold weather design fail. 15 S70D 68k and 4 Minnesota winters left me in the same situation and same ballpark price--2 weeks after my warranty ended, too. =(
Maybe try cutting a deal with your SC to watch them install this time and then get parts at or near cost and do it yourself next time?

jordanrichard | 15 oktober 2019

"Clearly a cold weather design fail" can we be any more dramatic. Metal, "winter states, corrosion go hand in hand. It's not a "fail". With that logic going through gallons of windshield fluid in the winter is a "design failure".

Just smear any grease, hell just some good old petroleum jelly you might have in your bathroom will work..