Forums

Info: TeslaCam Sentry mode: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB or 128GB…

Info: TeslaCam Sentry mode: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB or 128GB…

Hi all,

This is just to help people know how big of a drive they'll need for the TeslaCam/Sentry mode in software v10:

There are four cameras recording video (front, rear, left and right sides). Each one minute of recorded video is about 28 Megabytes (MB). TeslaCam is on a 60 minutes loop that continuously overwrite its files. It saves ten minutes (4 cameras) if you save an event by touching the TeslaCam icon. Sentry mode events are also ten minutes. I remember reading that Tesla software v10 will overwrite sentry mode events if they’re taking up more than 5GB and the drive is running out of space.

TeslaCam main one hour loop: 28 MB per minute x 4 cameras x 60 minutes = 6.7 GB (Gigabytes)
TeslaCam/Sentry saved event: 28 MB per minute x 4 cameras x 10 minutes = 1.1 GB

So now you have to decide what your situation is like: If you never save events and don’t use sentry mode a 16GB look to be good enough. A 128GB drive (or larger) will let you save several events, either manually or in sentry mode. Just remember that eventually you need to erase them or the drive will fill up and they’ll be overwritten because of the 5GB and no space… as I said earlier.

USB flash vs SD (or microSD) cards: I’m no expert at this but from what I’ve read the main advantage of SD cards is wear leveling. Each cell/block inside a flash drive or SD card has a finite number of write you can do and then it goes bad where it cannot be written anymore. SD cards keep track of this and select other cells/blocks to write so the whole drive “wears” evenly giving you a longer life span. USB flash drives don’t seem to have this so when some cells/blocks go bad you get error messages and even though the rest of the drive may be ok you cannot use it anymore.

Setting up the drive for technical people: Format the drive/card as FAT32 and create a folder named TeslaCam. Plug in the USB port of your car and you’re ready to go. The teslacam icon has a red dot if recording so if you don’t see it, touch the icon to turn on recording. Sentry mode icon works the same way but looks a bit different. For drives and more info follow this link: https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam/

Non-technical people can buy a drive ready to use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333346350036

Hope this helps people decide the size of the drive they need.

radean84 | 15 oktober 2019

I use a Samsung 256gb and it's been working great for driving cams and sentry mode. Only kinda tricky part was formatting it to FAT32 on Windows, but plenty utilities for that. So far haven't had any damaged or choppy files so I think I'm gonna hold onto this drive.

Rodo | 15 oktober 2019

I agree that formatting FAT32 is a bit tricky. 32GB drives (and smaller) are already formatted in FAT32 so no problem. I use a 128GB microSD card. I had a couple of USB 32GB flash drives (Sandisk Fit USB 3.0) but one stop working after 6 months and the other never complaint about anything but the video files were messed up. They did get rather warm when in use though.

Pg3ibew | 15 oktober 2019

I am no computer geek. I also have a Mac. With all of that being said, there are a few YouTube videos out there on how to format WHATEVER drive you are using, for Windows or Mac, to FAT32.

dottilove | 15 oktober 2019

I was told by a Tesla employee at a new owner Masterclass (oxi-moron) that after the new softwear update (version 10) that we did not have to format anything. Just pop in the ubs and it works. Yes?

bdtang8 | 15 oktober 2019

You do have to create a folder named TeslaCam on the usb drive for it to record to the drive. I have a 960GB Kingston SSD that seems to work great (velcroed to the back of the console door).

RedShift | 15 oktober 2019

@dottilove

No, that is not true. I recently bought a 300MB/second 128 GB Samsung flash drive that did not work. I had to format it with FAT32 and it started working.

You do have to create a folder named TeslaCam (case sensitive) as well.

Rodo | 16 oktober 2019

@dottilove: What else did they "teach" you? Most of the sales people are clueless. There are a very select few that know their stuff.

SnowZA | 17 oktober 2019

Microsoft is now actively working to get the exFat format incorporated into the Linux kernel. It isn't there yet. But that means there is probably a reasonable chance it will show up in the Tesla at some point in the future... It certainly doesn't support it yet.

miguelcampeau | 17 oktober 2019

Most USB flash memory will eventually fail or partly go bad because they are not meant to do constant video recording.
Sandisk makes a high endurance MicroSD card specifically for video monitoring. This can be used with a MicroSD to USB adaptor.
https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/high-endurance-m...

JimShaw | 17 oktober 2019

I am not very tech smart

Here's my question:

If I use a 128 (or higher) endurance MicroSD card for the security cameras and divide that card into 2 drives: One for security and the other for music. Would that work?

Would they system play music and store security data at the same time?

rehutton777 | 17 oktober 2019

While I have not done this with the SanDisc 128 MB MicroSD card, I believe you can partition the drive. However, the TeslaCam folder must be located in the first partition. Music on the second.

JimShaw | 17 oktober 2019

Thanks

I will give it a try

jjgunn | 17 oktober 2019

I've been using a 128 GB drive since TeslaCam came out.

Never close to filling it up. Looked at it the other day & still had 74 GB available, since October of 2018. Never deleted anything off it until a couple days ago.

Back up to over 100 GB available.

gmr6415 | 18 oktober 2019

@JimShaw I'm using a mobile SSD G Drive with 3 partitions. One for Dash Cam, one for music and one for audio books...works great

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/g-technology-g-...

JimShaw | 18 oktober 2019

gm6415

Thanks. That will work

Was it hard to partition?