Forums

I hope you like black (gray) wheels! Performance Model 3

I hope you like black (gray) wheels! Performance Model 3

I see Tesla just changed the only wheel option for the Performance Model 3 to Dark Gray (effectively black). No more Silver wheels available?

They did this on the Model S. I understand streamlining things, but still don't think wheels are an item that needs to be "streamlined". They're bolt on items that do nothing in terms of streamlining the production line. Why not give people the choice of Silver as well? Certain colors, black looks great, but other colors, not so much. Never been a fan of dark wheels on the Blue or Tesla's version of Red.

If you don't like black, which a lot of people don't based on their forum comments, I guess aftermarket wheels will be your only option. Although, now that Tesla says Black is the only choice, I guess that means it must be good for us and all the prior naysayers will now love them! LOL

PteRoy | 17 oktober 2019

I think they look pretty damn good, but the silver stands out more. Guess it depends on the look you’re going for.

Agreed though, how much trouble is it to have two colour wheel options? But also, if you can afford the performance than you can afford rims.

M3phan | 17 oktober 2019

Liking the black a lot.

lbowroom | 17 oktober 2019

Hate the chrome trim, hate the silver wheels

rsingh05 | 17 oktober 2019

I think the black/gray wheels look great on all colors, except blue. I am glad I have the silver wheels, b/w seats and chrome trim on my blue 3P.

However if I had a red or white car, I’d have much preferred black wheels/chrome delete and would have picked black interior.

Thrillion | 18 oktober 2019

I disagree, I'm very happy they upgraded me to gray wheels. I would have done something to the stock silver if I had those. I don't live in an area with a lot of M3's but I've see a lot with the silver either in 19" or 20". The gray will stand out.
@rsingh05 I think they look awesome with the blue. The silver looked too white and the whole red(calipers), white and blue theme isn't my style.

rfpmoxie | 18 oktober 2019

Hello all. As I am very happy with my LR AWD and chose sport wheels I offer my opinion as just that (an opinion). Tesla has been, let's say, different in their approach to most everything including U-turns and about faces in features and pricing. I agree with PteRoy re: 2 wheel options which lower priced models (mine -Sport-Aero) offer. Seemingly this is hardly an impact on assembly line operations. At the price of a Performance model it's a strange approach. Again, I am thrilled with my car even though I wish there was more a-la-carte items for original configuration but again that's my opinion. Ultimately, Tesla may have radically changed the car buying experience which may be a very good thing, but at the price of all cars I would vote for the buyer having more selection flexibility.

jordanrichard | 18 oktober 2019

Mark my words, in the future dark rims will be "sooooo 2010's" Remember when chrome rims were all the rage and how dated they look now.....

PteRoy | 18 oktober 2019

Pink is the new black. Get your spray paint out.

JAD | 18 oktober 2019

@jordan, or will silver wheels be soooo last century :)

Dark rims are so much easier to keep looking clean and design traditionally has the heavy, darker colors as a base and a lighter color at the top. So from a design perspective the dark makes more sense.

Of course I plasti-dipped my rims so they will be easy to change as my taste changes. Pink will be a stretch with the red brakes, but.....

ODWms | 20 oktober 2019

I’m not a big fan. I could see choice of darker than the current silver setup. But black wheels always look like four spares on the car, to me.

I do realize I’m in the minority if the survey Tesla put up is any indication. 82% to 18% in favor of black. Never would have believed it.

CASEMAN | 20 oktober 2019

I picked up my P3 on September 30. If anyone gets one with dark wheels and prefers the silver, please let me know and we can swap. I’m in CA and the wheels have no scratches or nicks.

slingshot18 | 20 oktober 2019

Love the new wheels. Been looking to powder coat my silver wheels.

howard | 20 oktober 2019

I have the Midnight Silver Metallic and would have gone with the dark silver wheels. I tried to get T Sportline winter wheels in the dark silver but canceled after poor experience with customer service and the owner.

As is I have the bright silver stock 20" wheels on in the summer and black wheels 18X8.5 FLOW ONE RACE SPEC F1 GLS BLACK in the winter. I like the look of the black wheels better as they really show off the red calipers. Nice to have both versions.

elric.navatel | 2 november 2019

As someone received a car with those yet? Are they Matte or Shiny?

FISHEV | 2 november 2019

"If you don't like black, which a lot of people don't based on their forum comments, I guess aftermarket wheels will be your only option."@2015P90DI

Good wheel shop can powder coat them any color you like for $800 (+/-)

These are the "gray" 18" wheels under the Aero hubcaps powder coated Tesla silver.

When I went to the shop the guy's were laughing as they said 90% of customers come in to get the Tesla wheels powder coated black.

https://imgur.com/j7ubiJY

tonys11 | 2 november 2019

@FISHEV your Aero alloys look great in silver - really contrasts nicely against the red and ties in with your chrome.

I just took delivery on Oct 19th and have what was probably what is the last group of the silver sport 20s. I think it was the Friday just prior (18th) they changed the order configurator to the the "gray". A fellow model 3 owner told me i could probably call them up and ask for the grays if i wanted before i took delivery, but actually I like the silver.

My preference on rims- I always liked brighter rims over gray/black, except felt darker rims were better due to dealing with brake dust. My other car, BMW Z4, has beautiful silver rims, but omg the brake dust accumulates on it in just one day of driving it - it's just a thing with BMW brake pads. The nice thing with the new Model 3 is it hardly uses the brakes, so brake dust is really a non issue - so i can enjoy the silver without having to worry about it.

The new black rims do look nice, but I feel it should have been offered with a factory chrome-delete option, kind of like what the Model Y looks like it will be configured with blacked out chrome, but funny they show it with silver sports wheels - although, it may just be that way for now, and maybe changes when actually released.

richardnhcooper | 3 november 2019

I will have a full set of silver performance wheels and tires for sale with about 50 miles on them. I am in Australia and my roads need higher profile tires, hence the need to change. Contact me at richardnhcooper @ hotmail dot com if interested. Happy to freight to US.

FISHEV | 3 november 2019

An aside on getting wheels powder coated to any color you like, The shop also offered to paint my brake caliper covers red. With the 18" silver Tesla wheels, the red calipers and my soon to arrive (ordered it months ago for TapTes forget about it and now it has shopped) black carbon spoiler, I'd be a faux Performance for $1,000, smoke and mirrors.

ngavazzo | 3 november 2019

I just placed my order for a Performance the other day. I had been waiting a long time before I pulled the trigger, but am extremely pleased with dark rims. I think it gives it that extra sporty look. The only thing I was bummed to learn is that the wait time is no 6-8 weeks. It was 2 weeks for the longest time. I am anxiously waiting delivery now.

CASEMAN | 6 november 2019

I only had my P3 for 2 weeks when they started offering dark wheels. I just powder coated my 20’s in black. They look great on the MSM.

imacgyver | 27 januari 2020

I am new to the forum having purchased a Model 3 Performance in Midnight Silver Metallic on Dec. 26, 2019. Personally, I love the gray wheels, and would love to have them on the Blue Model Y Performance that I have ordered even though only silver was offered. What I find strange is that about 90% of the Model Y sightings shown on YouTube are out on the road with gray/black wheels. If they can put them on the test cars, how come they can’t be ordered when buying the car...makes no sense to me!

yudansha™ | 27 januari 2020

Grey wheels?

imacgyver | 28 januari 2020

My wheels are about the same color as the Midnight Silver Metallic paint on the car. I'd call the wheel color dark grey. They are not true black, but some of the ones in the sightings of the "Y" on the road appear to be black.

Varricks | 29 januari 2020

Eh, black wheels, like the large wheels with rubber-band tires, are a fad. I'm not keen on either, although I have a Performance. So instead of distance anxiety, I worry about thick, tire-ruining hazards on the road, like a discarded dime.
My taste is more toward the Ferrari California in Columbo's "Any Port in a Storm", 14-inch Borranis with Michelins that must have a five-inch wall.
But I'm old. At least my wheels are still silver. And I can't see them while I drive.

imacgyver | 30 januari 2020

I guess it’s official now as of Tesla‘s Q4 earnings report yesterday that the Performance Y is now going to come with the 21’’ Überturbine Wheels that are dark grey/black. That only makes since because the “Y” has been sighted on the roads with these wheels lately. Personally, I think they look much better than the bright silver wheels. Those 21”wheels are the standard wheels if you check the box for the free package of Performance Upgrades like increased top speed, performance brakes, lowered suspension, and alloy pedals. If you don’t check that box your car will come with 19” Gemini Wheels which are silver and grey and have a slight resemblance to the Aero wheels...

imacgyver | 30 januari 2020

I guess it’s official now as of Tesla‘s Q4 earnings report yesterday that the Performance Y is now going to come with the 21’’ Überturbine Wheels that are dark grey/black. That only makes since because the “Y” has been sighted on the roads with these wheels lately. Personally, I think they look much better than the bright silver wheels. Those 21”wheels are the standard wheels if you check the box for the free package of Performance Upgrades like increased top speed, performance brakes, lowered suspension, and alloy pedals. If you don’t check that box your car will come with 19” Gemini Wheels which are silver and grey and have a slight resemblance to the Aero wheels...

cactus_hawk | 10 februari 2020

Anyone in the Phoenix area that has the grey/black 20” wheels but wanted silver I have a set I would trade. I will pay the swap fees at a discount tire.