Forums

Model 3 LR Dual Motor = 412HP ? pre 2019.36.2.1 update

Model 3 LR Dual Motor = 412HP ? pre 2019.36.2.1 update

***pre 2019.36.2.1 update

I was reading the Wikipedia page on the Model 3 and came across a chart breaking down specs of each model. I realize Wikipedia is not an official source, but the chart is claiming the the LR Dual has the equivalent power of 412HP combined. My LR Dual does a fantastic job accelerating off the line, but I noticed on the highway (50+ MPH) it’s not nearly as responsive beyond being great for passing speed. Definitely doesn’t strike me as a car with ~400HP. Does anyone else have this similar experience? Do you think Tesla is artificially limiting the performance of this trim?

Wikipedia source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_3

Recent reddit source post the latest update:
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/dv7r5i/model_3_awd_tested_...

richard | 18 oktober 2019

This is due to having just one single gear. The car is only a launch machine (i mean it corners good af too), and you do have probably all that horse power, its just not geared for those speeds, but im ok with that. Anything after 70 is meh...like a regular good fast car, but nothing like the dominating velocity you feel from 0-60 in a dual motor.. This is where Teslas shine, good thing its 99% of my driving is done between 0 and 80.

bjrosen | 18 oktober 2019

How fast are you trying to go? I've only put my foot down a few times because I get dizzy from the acceleration, on the few occasions when I've done this, always just to demonstrate what the car can do, my passengers have all said that it was a roller coaster or some similar description. When I do this it's generally going for 30 to 70 which is the only region that matters, it's what you do when getting on a highway, I also will do a quick pop from 60 to 80 when merging into another lane, that's instant, so I don't see what you are talking about. Supposedly the car can do 145 but I'm never going to find out if that's true because I have zero interest in sitting in a jail cell.

andy.connor.e | 18 oktober 2019

Cars kinetic energy increases with the square of velocity. It requires that much more energy to increase your speed the faster you go. You are not getting less horsepower at higher speeds, it requires exponentially more energy to accelerate the faster you go.

There is also a slight efficiency loss as RPMs increase.

rob | 18 oktober 2019
tucsonsims | 18 oktober 2019

412 HP?? Fake news...

The actual numbers related to maximum power that are programmed in the Tesla Model 3 inverters are visible in the CAN bus data stream, frame 0x336 to be specific:

Vehicle: Drive / Regen
--------------------------
LR RWD: 235 kW / 60 kW
LR AWD: 270 kW / 77 kW
Perf AWD: 375 kW / 77 kW

Using the standard conversion of 1HP=745.7W you get equivalent HP:

Vehicle: Drive / Regen
--------------------------
LR RWD: 315 HP / 80.5 HP
LR AWD: 362 HP / 103 HP
Perf AWD: 503 HP / 103 HP

rovo.dean | 18 oktober 2019

@tucsonsims
That seems to be where the discrepancy is, your chart is showing 270 kW vs the Wikipedia article suggesting 307 kW.

Fueleconomy.gov rates the motors at 147 kW and 188 kW:
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=41190

tucsonsims | 18 oktober 2019

@ rovo.dean
OK that makes sense. Perhaps Tesla has increased the AWD maximum drive power by 14%. The CAN bus data I quoted is from a vehicle with 2018 firmware...

coselectric | 18 oktober 2019

FIrmware update in March 2019 supposedly raised horsepower by 5%. The 412 HP number seems a bit generous, but Tesla never did publish actual specs after the update.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-increase-power-top-speed-firmware-update/

kvn.wong2 | 19 oktober 2019

Although I have a LR RWD version, I too have noticed this. I would certainly classify my car as quick not fast. My SQ5 is not as quick off the line (without launch control) but once rolling post ~20mph will pull like crazy. Though OP, in real world scenarios (excluding Autobahn) the Model 3 is perfect considering 65mph is the speed limit. In day to day driving I prefer a quick car over a fast car.

gmr6415 | 20 oktober 2019

Mountain Pass Performance did a dyno test on the LR RWD prior to the OTA performance boost and their graph shows roughly 325 HP/325 lbft of torque at peak. I think in the video of the dyno test they state they reached 330 HP. https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/model3_dynotesting_soc/

If so, the 5% boost would have taken it to 346.5 HP.

The graph also shows that both HP and torque start to drop off at about 70kmh or 43mph so that explains the lack of launch at highway speeds. There was a second OTA boost that was supposed to add performance at the upper end, so the graph should be somewhat different now.

Zakynthos | 20 oktober 2019

The LR AWD is ~390 HP post 5% peak power update.

rovo.dean | 13 november 2019

The latest update, 2019.36.2.1, seems to have nailed it. The 5% performance boost seems to have filled out the lack of hp/torque in highway speeds that I felt prior to the update. Very happy with how it drives through the entire range now.

jebinc | 13 november 2019

Keep in mind, some have posted CANbus data for the AWD that shows more than the stated 5% power increase. We need more data. What we have now is a lot of speculation - a forum mainstay...

rovo.dean | 13 november 2019

pre 2019.36.2.1 update