Forums

Help please - On a road trip, nav is frozen, autopilot doesn’t work

Help please - On a road trip, nav is frozen, autopilot doesn’t work

I’m on a road trip. I stopped to supercharge, when I got back to the car I found the navigation frozen, when I put it in reversed screen is black where the video feed should be, traffic visualizations are not displayed, neither the cruise control nor autopilot work.
I have done the scroll whee reset and the brake/scroll wheel reset (multiple times). Is there anything else I can try or do I have to wait until Tesla support comes to work tomorrow?

hokiegir1 | 3 november 2019

Do a power off from the menu screen. One you press it, for 2 minutes, don't open the door or touch the brake or screen. Set a timer on your phone. After 2 minutes, you can press the brake and see if it helped. If not, call roadside assistance and they can remotely check statuses.

LeelooTheM3 | 3 november 2019

I parked and left the car alone for 15 minutes so it could go to sleep. When I came back the GPS location still appeared stuck, but everything else was working. As soon as I started driving the GPS location refreshed. All is well now.

Bighorn | 3 november 2019

Was the supercharging in a parking garage per chance?

rxlawdude | 3 november 2019

It's the ghost of Lutz. :-)

Magic 8 Ball | 3 november 2019

Probably got a Neutrino hit.

mr.mark.tarver | 3 november 2019

do a hard reset. press both wheels on steering wheel while pressing down break till the screen turns black then let go. this will reset everything and you dhould be ok

do a hard reset. press both wheels on steering wheel while pressing down break till the screen turns black then let go. this will reset everything and you dhould be ok

holy crap. did not mean the repeats

LeelooTheM3 | 3 november 2019

Mark really wanted me to try the hard reset again :)

Bighorn it was a supercharger in an open parking lot

Tronguy | 3 november 2019

M8B: Aw, c'mon, thinking about neutrinos is silly, there's trillions going through your body at any time. Now, regular cosmic rays.. muons, fast moving electrons, fast moving protons, beta particles, the occasional gamma ray, sure, why not.
You are aware that a DRAM cell works on the charge stored in a small capacitance that's built into the gate of a FET, right? And that DRAM has to be refreshed, often, in order to keep that charge from leaking away? Which is why DRAM controllers are the complex little beasts they are.. And, again, why building rad-hard electronics is such a fun endeavor.
And if you want to get picky, SRAM is affected by cosmics; so is FLASH, if the cosmic rays are high power enough.
Look up the Oh-My-God particle on Wikipedia: It's a fun read.

FISHEV | 3 november 2019

" do I have to wait until Tesla support comes to work tomorrow?"@LeeLooTheM3

Doesn't Emergency Service answer the phone? Is the car driveable?

Magic 8 Ball | 3 november 2019

Somehow I knew I would get most likely get called out by one person on my Neutrino silliness, ; ).

I worked with sparkies that did the EMI testing on electronic enclosures I designed in my early days (I went out to the range a few times). During my college days I delivered isotopes to medical and research facilities. I did work on one "hardened" project for the military and at completely different job designed a tungsten shutter for a "source" that was used for thin film metrology. Oh, I also did a summer internship at SLAC (I helped tear apart what was at the time the world's largest H2 bubble chamber). I enjoyed the other thread where you shared more details of non-danger the M3 poses from a human exposure perspective. Particles can wreak havoc.

Tronguy | 3 november 2019

@M8B: Should have kept quiet, your first neutrino comment in here looked like a sucker bet :).
And if an OMG particle hit a Tesla, probably a dead Tesla, dunno.

Bighorn | 3 november 2019

Quarky crowd.

@Leeloo
Thanks. Did you try a hard reset? :) I’ve got nothing. Sometimes a firmware update starting to download will wreak havoc, but that’s been moved away from LTE.

vmulla | 4 november 2019

@LeelooTheM3,
What happened finally?

Bighorn | 4 november 2019

@vmulla
Self corrected per earlier post

jjgunn | 4 november 2019

For the future....Was the USB drive for TeslaCam still inserted? If so...remove it, then hold both scroll wheels plus brake for about 45 seconds until you see the Tesla "T" return (not just a black screen) then let go.

Have patience for everything to return. Especially LTE -- can take upwards to 3-4 minutes.

sheldon.mike1010 | 4 november 2019

Thats correct: reset for me is incomplete with USB inserted.

sbeggs | 4 november 2019

@Bighorn,
Good one!

TeslaTap.com | 4 november 2019

If you're having reboot problems with the USB inserted, it usually means the drive was set up to be bootable. A normal format will not remove the boot record. One way to clean it up here: https://cammem.com/tesla/preparing-your-drive/ Go to "Formatting with RMPrep" section. I expect there are other ways too.