Forums

Battery Life

Battery Life

So I just bought a brand new model 3 long range a little over a month ago. I live in Utah and the car is currently parked outside. I’m losing about 3-4% every night even when I don’t drive the vehicle at all (I don’t have a home charger yet since I’ll be moving soon). Is that normal?

marci2000 | 12 november 2019

Make sure sentry isn’t turned on and check the cabin temperature control settings. If that’s turned on, it can drain the battery rapidly. 1-2% overnight I’m told is normal and that’s what I experience. I am, however, losing about 16% in battery efficiency overall and they’re telling me that’s normal too. Find that hard to believe.

Bighorn | 12 november 2019

Make sure summon standby is off

Danaeaballi | 12 november 2019

I bought “250 range” version and every day I wake up it says 200 on the screen. I don’t start charging until 1am so I thought maybe it just wasn’t done being charged but no it says full. I have 12,000 miles on car

ikeru.abe23 | 12 november 2019

Yeah, all those are turned off. I’ve only driven 752 miles and have spent a little over $100 at the super chargers. Is that normal for you guys?

casun | 13 november 2019

something doesn’t add up. presumably the battery was partially charged when you got the car? over $100 at superchargers and 752 miles driven doesn’t make any sense. summon standby and/or sentry must still be on.

walnotr | 13 november 2019

@ikeru.abe23 - Are you charging to 100% every time? If you are paying by the minute for supercharging and charging above 80% you will see much higher charging costs.

gmr6415 | 13 november 2019

@ikeru.abe23, Your supercharging expense seems excessive. The first week we had ours we took a 2300 mile trip. Total supercharging costs were $71.

Frank99 | 13 november 2019

You don't say where you are in Utah; assuming that you're in Salt Lake City, it's been around freezing there at night for the last month (and significantly colder on occasion). At those temperatures, the car may turn on the battery heater at night to keep the battery warm to protect it. That will have a noticeable effect - those who live in cold areas might chime in with their experiences.
Others have chimed in with other car features that might contribute to excessive power drain. And I agree with the comments about your Supercharger costs - that seems way out of line. You should set your charging limit to no higher than 90% for daily use, move your car from the supercharger as soon as charging is complete to avoid congestion charges, and realize that you probably don't need to charge until the battery gets low.

Assuming that you don't have a third-party app on your phone (some of which have a tendency to communicate with the car too much, keeping it awake and taking excess power), in warm weather you should probably expect something on the order of 1% per day range loss with the car just sitting.

teslamazing | 13 november 2019

I need answers.

Magic 8 Ball | 13 november 2019

It is normal depending on settings.

But spending a little over $100 for just 752 miles is not unless OP is charging to 100% every single time.

"unless OP is charging to 100% every single time."

Yup, normal depending on settings.

FISHEV | 13 november 2019

I sit outside with no charging also and my nightly phantom drain is higher than average per StatsApp for Tesla. I don't have Summon. I've turned of Sentry Mode, a huge energy hog. I don't leave heat on. Car is as off as I can make it.
I don't have Tesla App or StatsApp waking the car up with queries.

Only thing I can figure why my phanton drain is higher is the car is using some energy to maintain things .

Be good if Tesla provided a profile of the energy draw on the car vs. the single energy usage graph which only works while car is moving and tells you nothing of what is using energy.

Here's pic of Kona EV screen showing energy use breakdown this is as owner heats car in driveway.

https://imgur.com/JPwuaJe

@OP word of advice, don’t listen to anything fish posts. He’s anti-Tesla. Many wonder why he still owns a Tesla.

"Here's pic of Kona........"

Whoops there it is..........

jimglas | 13 november 2019

Fish, sell your tesla and buy a kona. All your problems solved.
Wasn't that easy?

jebinc | 13 november 2019

To new members of the forum: Like Metastatic Cancer, the resident forum trolls infect as many threads as humanly possible, as evidenced above.

No need for any more posts until OP answers. Just relax n wait.

andy.connor.e | 13 november 2019

This is great. I can kick back, review submittals and read responses with my popcorn. This will be a good day.

bjrosen | 13 november 2019

When I got my Model 3 I was surprised by how high the vampire drain was as compared to my Volt. Turning off sentry mode and summon helps a lot but it's still significantly higher than it is in the Volt which has negligible vampire drain. There may be a good reason for this, perhaps the power is used to maintain battery temperature, or it might just be that when the car is sleeping there are still a lot of systems in it that aren't. With sentry and summon off the drain is tolerable but it is something that Tesla should look into and address in a future software update assuming that there is something they can do about it.

ikeru.abe23 | 13 november 2019

I charge my car to 80% majority of the time. I think I’ve charged it to 90% once.

cybergrafx | 13 november 2019

"Be good if Tesla provided a profile of the energy draw on the car vs. the single energy usage graph which only works while car is moving and tells you nothing of what is using energy." @Fish

I agree, I would love to see that! I have a lot of phantom drain and I dont have the time to try and figure out where it is going by switching things on and off while keeping track of all the numbers.

Has anyone on here figured out what each feature cost in energy usage? Sentry mode, summon standby, cabin controls, etc...?

R u positive u have smart summon standby mode off? It has to be manually done. It’s defaulted to ON. Unlike sentry.

Joshan | 13 november 2019

cybergrafx | November 13, 2019
Has anyone on here figured out what each feature cost in energy usage? Sentry mode, summon standby, cabin controls, etc...?

And this is the inherent problem here. People ask questions that cannot be answered because they lack understanding.

How exactly could someone tell you how much energy Sentry will use? It will depend on many factors.

How exactly could someone tell you how much energy Can Controls will use? It will depend on many factors.

Can you tell me how much gas your ICE had to use to operate the A/C?

jimglas | 13 november 2019

In my experience, Sentry mode uses 1 mph

If you need all that kind of info, plz don’t buy a Tesla.

derotam | 13 november 2019

Joshan | November 13, 2019
"Can you tell me how much gas your ICE had to use to operate the A/C?"

Actually yes I can...at least based on the fuel flow rate provided by OBDII in my wife's Highlander... :)

Yes, some items can be harder than others to get good data for but you can get a lot of good data. Did you know that the power consumption of the cabin fan is not linear based on fan speed setting and that at fan speed 10 it draws about 380W? I have been meaning to record that power curve, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

derotam | 13 november 2019

@HP.1193: I don't need the info, I just love seeing the data.

hokiegir1 | 13 november 2019

@jimglas - I've averaged it to about 1.5mph usage, depending on how busy the parking lot is. Not many alerts and it's closer to 1mph, but if there are a lot of people/cars passing, it can go up to 2 for a bit.

@bjrosen - the Volt isn't a good comparison here, since it still has the ICE component that addresses some items.

@ikeru.abe23 - As others have noted, Summon Standby defaults to on, so double check that one. If that and Sentry are both off, make sure you aren't opening your app frequently to check the drain. Every time the app is opened, it wakes the car. Yes, the cold can cause the car to use some energy maintaining battery temp, but overall, you should still be looking at 1-2% (3-6 miles, give or take) per overnight period.