Forums

Hissing sound under the trunk

Hissing sound under the trunk

I'm a new Model 3 owner (LR Dual Motor - 9/2019), not sure if this is a normal issue...I couldn't find anything in the search...

When driving on a local road, I suddenly heard a very loud hissing sound from under the passenger side of the trunk. I thought I had a flat, so stopped and looked, but the tire was fine. The sound was coming from near the rear wheel, but I couldn't tell exactly where. There was no drip or draft that I could see or feel. I wasn't sure what to do, so just waited there to see what would happen. After about 3 minutes or so, the hiss sputtered and gurgled and stopped. I checked to see if the car was drive-able and it felt normal. I opened a service request but they couldn't fit me in till next week. A fellow owner suggested that it could be the BMS (Brake Management System) relieving some pressure, but I'm a bit skeptical.

I wish I had the presence of mind to record it, but I didn't ..

Has anyone experienced anything similar that can clue me in?

Thanks!

jimglas | 13 november 2019

check for snakes

Magic 8 Ball | 13 november 2019

No error messages, drives fine, would not require SC appt. at all???

landoncube | 13 november 2019

First evidence of model 3 space x package in the wild.

Joshan | 13 november 2019

never heard a hiss, but it does make various weir sounds. Especially when it is cold. Last night in the garage it was quite loud after being plugged in for about 10 mins.

kommareddi | 13 november 2019

@Magic 8 Ball - going to the appt would kill the whole day, I don't really want to go, but no one seems to have heard this before, so just wanted to make sure.

kommareddi | 13 november 2019

Lots of comedians here :)

Magic 8 Ball | 13 november 2019

If you don't want to go then don't go, no one is making you go. A one off "noise" is absolutely nothing to worry about and it could have, in fact, been an animal. If it returns it is a different situation but a one off is a shoulder shrug, at best.

007bond | 13 november 2019

Well you were driving but one time while parking I had the same thing happen turned out to be a can of soda that someone left that I clipped while parking.

But seriously I know the car has vents I read that the battery has a vent maybe it just got warmer and some air vented out or something like that?

or @jimglas could be right depending on where you live you never know stranger things have happened.