Forums

CHAdeMO or CCS adapter???

CHAdeMO or CCS adapter???

Any word when Tesla will release some more CHAdeMO adapters. They have been sold out for a while.

Also, on a side note, will they EVER release a CCS adapter here in the US? Not sure why they are forcing the CHAdeMO adapters here in the US when the CCS adapters are so much smaller.

FISHEV | 26 november 2019

They hinted at a CCS adapter for the end of the year but Tesla has had a lot cutbacks in people and services so it seems not likely for this year. Tesla has done all the work already since the Model 3 uses the CCS plugs in EU and S and X have CCS adapters. So easy to do but Tesla is focused on games vs. updating the product.

You might be able to find a used Chademo adapter. Don't know if the S and X Chademo adapters work on the Model 3.

Bighorn | 26 november 2019

CCS adapters have been made for some European models which has zero bearing on US charging. No word that they will make adapters here. Very little need given the supercharger buildout. I’ve never used Chademo in 321k Tesla miles. Sold out items can sometimes be found for sale in service centers, so it might be fruitful to pursue that route if it’s important in your use case. Don’t make the mistake of getting the wrong one designed for the S/X.

https://electrek.co/2019/05/07/tesla-ccs-adapter-model-s-x-retrofits/

lbowroom | 26 november 2019

Cutbacks? Hilarious

gballant4570 | 26 november 2019

Not sure why someone in the US would actually need either.....

FISHEV | 26 november 2019

"CCS adapters have been made for some European models which has zero bearing on US charging."@Bighorn

CCS adapters are available for all Tesla models in Europe with the Model 3 in Europe being CCS by default. Easy job to adapt to US.

Tesla is liking their captive audience now that they are charging for power so they may never release the CCS in the US.

So we’re back to this again, oh boy

Unlike the other for profit chargers that charge a mint. Superchargers aren’t a profit center.

Bighorn | 26 november 2019

Neither end of the CCS adapters is the same from Europe to US, so they’re kind of the same. That’s the ticket.

gorillasooner | 26 november 2019

There are 2 Superchargers in my state. They are putting in 150 CHAdeMO/CCS chargers by the end of next year. TESLA needs to put in more Superchargers in the Oklahoma area or I need to buy a CHAdeMO or CCS adapter.

wallacej010 | 26 november 2019

Hawaii Island does not have superchargers. Although I can drive across the island and back or up/down the island and back, I can not drive AROUND the island without needing to charge. There are FIVE chademo type chargers evenly scattered around the island. I bought and use the adaptor... it is like going to an expensive gas station in terms of cost. My home electricity is $.37/kwh and the fast chargers are $.51/kwh.
Good luck getting one. Checking daily may be your best/only option.

Bighorn | 27 november 2019

Funny, I’ve been to at least 5 supercharger locations in OK and they all had multiple stalls. Odd how you’re counting the Chademo/CCs as though there will be many more locations. Where is it you can’t go or are you just trolling and/or ignorant?

vswendsen | 27 november 2019

A CCS adapter would be very useful for those traveling on I-40 through Arkansas since right now there is a big gap between Oklahoma City and Little Rock. There is an EA station in Clarksville, AR which would allow folks to stay on I-40 instead of detouring an hour or so out of the way. There is a thread in General that talks about this. I don't think there are many gaps in interstate coverage as far as Superchargers go but this is one that I have seen the most discussion on here.

linuxguy | 27 november 2019

European CCS is type 2 and US is type 1. Electrify America has aggressive deployment plans, most of their chargers are CCS, so I'd like to see a Tesla CCS adapter.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/05/inside-electrify-americas-plan-to-s...
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger

WW_spb | 27 november 2019

If Tesla doesn't provide us CCS adapters for free I am canceling CyberTruck! You heard it, Elon!!!

jimglas | 27 november 2019

I looked at the thread title and knew fish would be all over this like flies on chit

raqball | 27 november 2019

The more options the better.. While Superchargers are pretty much everywhere having additional options never hurts..

At $500 the Chademo adapter is to costly for what it provides. A CSS adapter would be a nice addition as long as it is reasonably priced..

I bought every adapter Tesla sells right after picking up my M3 as range my anxiety was strong and I figured it would give me the ability to charge everywhere.. Now I see those purchases as a mistake as my range anxiety is lessening and I've not had to use any of them yet...

I view the Chademo and CSS adapters as emergency use items for most but I am sure there are a few who would use them all the time....

RedPillSucks | 27 november 2019

@gballant4570 "Not sure why someone in the US would actually need either....."
Remember that Tesla Fremont sells to all of North America, which includes Canada, Mexico, and Native American territories. Tesla superchargers are not as ubiquitous in those areas. There are still lots of areas in Canada and Mexico without a supercharger, but might actually have CCS or Chademo chargers from other organizations.
And God forbid if you want to drive through the Dakotas

GHammer | 27 november 2019

"And God forbid if you want to drive through the Dakotas"

Where a CCS or Chademo wouldn't help either.

South Dakota is pretty SC dense. North Dakota is under construction.

gorillasooner | 27 november 2019

Touché Bighorn. There are 5. Sorry, I’m thinking between Tulsa and OKC. The range is just barely enough to go to one or the other and back and the super chargers are on the complete opposite sides of the cities. So if you make a round trip you range anxiety, drive slower than the 80mph speed limit, or charge another way. Also going South to Dallas from Tulsa there is not supercharger on the way. CHAdeMO has been helpful for that. Anyway, just going to keep waiting. I would prefer the smaller CCS adapter though.

milesbb | 27 november 2019

Does the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter now work with the Model 3?

Yes, Chademo adapter works on the 3. I use the same one I bought for my S when it first came out.

@Ghammer
Turnt follow the product launch. Why was it originally incompatible? Waiting on firmware?

Turnt/Didn’t

dfuller | 27 november 2019

I just ordered a CHAdeMO adapter from the Tesla website so they are back in stock. I'm located in Canada so it will be useful in less urban areas. Flo provides 50KW chargers in many areas not covered by Superchargers.

dfuller | 27 november 2019

"I just ordered a CHAdeMO adapter from the Tesla website so they are back in stock. I'm located in Canada so it will be useful in less urban areas. Flo provides 50KW chargers in many areas not covered by Superchargers."

Update: That must have been the last one. They are showing as Sold Out again.

gorillasooner | 27 november 2019

@dfuller haha. I’ve looked 3-4 times per day for the past month and sold out every time I look. Seems like my luck.

billtphotoman | 27 november 2019

If a CCS or CHAdoMO charging station plugs the 300+ mile diameter donut hole in NW Texas before Tesla gets around to it I might be interested. I travel from Austin to New Mexico fairly often and right now have to overnight in Lubbock.

@BH
Just a car firmware update. 2019.24.4 enabled it.

FISHEV | 27 november 2019

"Just a car firmware update. 2019.24.4 enabled it."@Ghammer

So an older Chademo adapter purchased for an S or X would work with a Model 3?

lbowroom | 27 november 2019

I thought we determined that months ago. Adapter is the same.

Yes, adapter is the same.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 27 november 2019

“ Compatible with third-party DC fast charging networks such as Electrify America and EVgo, the CHAdeMO adapter supports charging speeds up to 50kW and works with all Tesla vehicles (2019.24.1 firmware or later is required for Model 3 compatibility).”

"Compatible with third-party DC fast charging networks such as Electrify America and EVgo, the CHAdeMO adapter supports charging speeds up to 50kW and works with all Tesla vehicles (2019.24.1 firmware or later is required for Model 3 compatibility).”@MAB1980

That's the advert for NEW Chademo adapters from Tesla. Do older one's also work with Model 3?

Where does it distinguish between new and old? We did this song and dance months ago. Please don’t pretend you don’t remember.

“ Where does it distinguish between new and old?“@lbowroom

It’s an ad for the NEW Chademo adapter. It doesn’t mention previous ones which were for the S and X. Not saying old one’s won’t but don’t know of anyone who actually tested one of the old S/X Chademo adapters on a Model 3.

Be nice of the old one’s do work as people who have them and don’t use them could sell them online to Model 3 users.

What ad? There’s one chademo adapter. You bought it months ago but it didn’t work until you got the next software update. You threw the biggest fit about it. You claimed false advertising and wouldn’t believe that software/firmware meant the same thing in that context.

“ What ad?“@lbowroom

The one on the Tesla Store which advertises the product for sale. Anyone have an old Chademo adapter to test?

"GHammer | November 27, 2019
Yes, Chademo adapter works on the 3. I use the same one I bought for my S when it first came out."

Asked and answered.

Fish must have a different website then me. The Tesla store has a chademo, doesn’t say anything about it being new.

“Yes, Chademo adapter works on the 3. I use the same one I bought for my S when it first came out."@GHammer

Cool. So someone could buy an old Chademo adapter online not just the new, hard to get $400 one.

Fish will do anything to promote non Tesla charging... except take a picture of his last non Tesla charging session.

I think Fish is Bi polar

No, just good at his job

“Fish will do anything to promote non Tesla charging... except take a picture of his last non Tesla charging session.“@lbowroom

I didn’t know you cared. Here you go.

EA 8 x 150kW CCS in Vancouver
https://imgur.com/53ZYG15

EA 4 x 150kW in PDX just finishing construction
https://imgur.com/53ZYG15

EVgo 2 x 50kW sharing with Bolt and Ford plug ins.

EA is obligated per deal with US courts to spend $2B over next five years (we are in year 2) to build out fast DC charging network that is equal to Tesla’s. You can see the map at the EA website. So EA system should be well developed by the time I get my Mach-E Mustang next December.

Here’s the. EVgo one.

https://imgur.com/4dmVDcI

Of the billing screen. You know that’s what I meant

Maybe you move to Ford forums to share your enthusiasm with fellow machE preorder owners ? Pretty please?

@lbowroom, he can't show you that. It's too secret )

@lbowroom, he can't show you that. It's top secret )

Pages