Forums

Brand new "S" rear drive motor failure

Brand new "S" rear drive motor failure

I bought a new 2020 S model from the West Palm Beach store in late October this year...about two weeks after I took delivery, I was driving the car home and couldn’t get the car over 58 mph...I pulled car into gas station and turned it off...when I tried to start it and head home it wouldn’t turn on...message said it was disabled...I called Tesla Roadside assistance...they sent flatbed truck to pick it up...it took service dept 3 weeks to diagnose and fix...the rear drive system was shot and needed a new one...I only had 300 miles on it...

IMHO this is equivalent to buying a new Mercedes and having the motor blow up after two weeks and 300 miles...if I had a Mercedes that this happened, I would take the car back to Mercedes...I’d want a new vehicle...

I love the new Tesla but I want a different vehicle...same model...same options...Tesla should replace my car and use the old car somewhere in their fleet...

Am I wrong thinking this way?

EVRider | 4 december 2019

If they replace the drive unit under warranty, there’s no reason to get a different car. By the way, your car is a 2019, not 2020.

jimglas | 4 december 2019

Shit happens
I had a BMW lemon that was flat bedded more times than I could count
Finally dumped it for a prius on the way home from having it fixed again
before it could die again

PrescottRichard | 4 december 2019

That sucks but I can’t see them replacing the car. Some states have lemon laws and I don’t see this qualifying for such a law.

FWIW- I’m seeing new Teslas with temp tags that say 2020 for the model year here in AZ.

reed_lewis | 4 december 2019

You had an infant failure of the drive unit. They replaced the drive unit. You are now in possession of a working car.

No need to replace anything.

andy.connor.e | 4 december 2019

Just realized that as well, EVRider pointed it out. Hard to believe this is real because Tesla does not and has never done typical Model years. You cannot buy a 2020 model in 2019.

Well, I’m telling y’all that I’m seeing 2020 on temp plates in AZ.. That is real.

OP said they purchased about a month and a half ago. Did you see 2020 on temp plates 6 weeks ago?

Yes.

I know, it is hard to believe. I’m trying to find someone willing to share an image of their paperwork as proof :)

No worries. If they are in the wild, then thats what it is.

tigerkc | 4 december 2019

That is why new car has warranty in case something like this happen. Tesla fixed the problem and that is the end of it. Now it is all good?

I have images to prove it now! I know, it IS weird for Tesla to have 2020 cars in 2019, this is why it caught my eye!

Back to the topic- I think that if you car had several things wrong with it then THAT would be a different story. I saw one AZ owner that took his car back in that week trial because of the paint job on his Model 3. Something that I think a lot of owners (including myself) wouldn’t have though twice about from the images I saw.

Still, this is embarrassing. Fortunately I haven’t seen any other posts about drive units doing this. Fingers crossed.

EVRider | 4 december 2019

I've seen reports that Tesla is starting to introduce next year models sooner than they used to, but I didn't think it went back as far as an October delivery. It used to happen in mid-to-late December.

Of course the model year still doesn't mean anything in terms of the car's configuration.

Tropopause | 5 december 2019

Check the door placard to see what model year the car really is. As for the electric motor, get it replaced and you'll be good to go.

SO | 5 december 2019

if there are MULTIPLE issues, then you’d have a case with maybe a lemon law. But otherwise, you are probably fine.

maildjm | 7 december 2019

I took delivery of my 2020 model s on 12/5 and one the way home form pick up the front motor blew out like your rear motor blew. I feel for you. At least mine was on first day. I will be returning mine for sure. It is in SC now being diagnosed. No way I am keeping this vehicle. I also own a 2018 MX100D and am very happy with it. So I am not a Tesla hater.