Forums

Alert message at 49,815 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alert message at 49,815 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really? At 49815 miles?

Car gave a 'front passenger safety restraint system fault' a few days ago, and as of a few hours I have a perpetual alert that shows up as if a passenger isn't wearing a seat belt. The car is just giving the standard beeps that go off when someone isn't wearing a seatbelt - except there's no one in the seat.
I'm clicking the passenger seatbelt just to get over the annoyance.

I'm not sure if I should be glad or sad. We were just going to hit that 50k milestone, but now this would be covered under warranty. Mixed feelings ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW: I've done the resets, powered the car down, checked the wiring harnesses that others reported as the cause for the alert - and then did it all over again. No luck..

This part I brought it upon myself: The worst part is I have an expired safety sticker (expired on 11/30), and I don't think I can get this car through inspection. Appointments at the local Tesla service center are available only after 1/3/2020. Tomorrow I'll have to call my service center and plead for help :(

...Or hope 2019.40.x is available soon to make this go away

PteRoy | 4 december 2019

Have you tried blowing on it?
Hitting it with a hammer?
Turning it off and on again?

That’s about all my parents taught me.

GHammer | 4 december 2019

Sounds like a bad seat pressure sensor/switch. Easy fix.

Magic 8 Ball | 4 december 2019

Oh the horror.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 4 december 2019

If the passenger airbag light is on then it’s 99% the switch in the seat.

billstanton | 4 december 2019

Since the last release (2019.36.2.1) I get this alert, on the driver's side, every time I'm leaving the car. Put it in park, undo the driver's seat belt, alert appears.

JohnKinCT | 4 december 2019

So oddly enough this happened to me tonight on my way home (5,000 miles). After work out my shoulder bag on passenger seat and head home. Did the same as normal and about 2 miles from
Home (18 mile commute) the fasten seat belt warning sounds for passenger seat. Remove the bag of stops. And then started again. Haven’t tried to reboot or anything yet.

JohnKinCT | 4 december 2019

So oddly enough this happened to me tonight on my way home (5,000 miles). After work out my shoulder bag on passenger seat and head home. Did the same as normal and about 2 miles from
Home (18 mile commute) the fasten seat belt warning sounds for passenger seat. Remove the bag of stops. And then started again. Haven’t tried to reboot or anything yet.

-TheJohn- | 4 december 2019

Hah perfect timing and much sympathy to you. That would be aggravating to have that warning going off and off and off and off and..
Tesla will make things right is my bet.

neows6 | 4 december 2019

Any cha6you started placing a tablet or a laptop on the seat since it started. I know I sound like a nut but in .y Chevy Volt if I place a tablet on the seat it does the same thing.

jexlean | 4 december 2019

I experienced this issue as well and the fix is a workaround by Tesla Mobile Tech which attaches a magnetic to the wires associated with the sensor to reduce interference. This had to be done twice as the initial Mobile Tech placed the magnets on the incorrect set of wires. It's been months and haven't had the problem resurface since.

The_Flash | 4 december 2019

or you could just hire the ghostbusters :o

vmulla | 5 december 2019

Based on my previous experience with service taught me this is going to be taken care of. That's not what I'm concerned about at all.
I don't want to find out what this would cost me if I was past 50K. Even though they are for small issues the service visits are not fun after so many times.

vmulla | 5 december 2019

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | December 4, 2019
If the passenger airbag light is on then it’s 99% the switch in the seat.
----

The seat sensor error preceded with a seat safety restraint fault, the most common fix for it based on the forum searches is a wiring harness issue. One error replaced an other.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 5 december 2019

I stand corrected

vmulla | 5 december 2019

Tesla worked me into their schedule for later today.

I'm repeating this for the 100th time on this forum. Tesla Tyson's Corner Service center is awesome - they really try.

MichaelB00012 | 5 december 2019

vmulla, did you get that seat wet? I saw that error on my car over the summer and had a service appointment for it. I got the error one day, and after that it stopped appearing because the seat had dried out, and the moisture from the wet butt of a bathing suit had dried out.

I was told the wiring harness that's there is pretty touchy and if it gets wet it tends to throw errors. He recommended if a wet butt hits my seat again to turn the seat warmer on high and let it run for a while to dry things out.

Iwantmy3 | 5 december 2019

vmulla,
I wonder if this is at all related to the hot plastic on the seat that you have been experiencing. You may want to tell them about that as well.

cquail | 5 december 2019

This is a known problem. I have had this fixed twice under warranty. As the driver’s seat moves back and forth the wiring harness wires under the seat bend. Eventually a wire breaks and you get the fault message. Tesla has redesigned the harness and the new one is more robust. We have 48K miles on our Model 3. This can be fixed by mobile service.

vmulla | 6 december 2019

The car is at the service center. They are replacing the wiring harness under the seat,looks like they're familiar with the problem

@Iwantmy3, No, I do not think it has anything to do with the heat. That heat has to be related to the car running/charging non-stop for over 10hrs

@MichaelB00012. The family was at the beach, yes the seats were damp. The car retained the error for over a week now. So, even though the damp seats might have triggered the error I don't think it was the full story.

@cquail, Tesla is replacing the wiring harness. We were on a longish road-trip and the front passenger seat saw a lot more movement than normal.

I think it might be just regular wear - the car may be less than 2yrs old, but it did see extensive use .

Haggy | 6 december 2019

If you report a problem, they have the mileage as of the time it's reported, so it won't matter if the mileage exceeds warranty by the time it needs service. I had that happen to me and they fixed the problem along with anything else they found, even if I hadn't mentioned it when I made the appointment,

I have no idea what the inspection process is like but can't imagine that they'd fault you for an error message that doesn't affect anything. If putting on the seat belt gets rid of the message, that shows that the car properly detects when the seat belt is closed. It would be dangerous, in theory, if you got no message at all with somebody sitting in that seat, but that's not something that they'd check for. If it does its job with the seat occupied, that's all that should matter.

vmulla | 6 december 2019

@Haggy,
About the service:
Yes, learned about the mileage/warranty honor policy from other members. Good on Tesla to take that approach, and it is in line with my experience in the past. I've been treated extremely well over the years - but realistically I do not think it is reasonable to expect the same level of service as the fleet grows.
I fully support delivering a great car, giving just the necessary/sufficient service and keep the whole operation lean.

About the inspection process: I didn't think of it from the point of view that an alert could actually mean a good thing. Good point. It's water under the bridge now since the car is in service.