Forums

2 years from now

2 years from now

Do you think the cyber truck come with free unlimited supercharging? 500 miles will take forever on 32amp...

tes-s | 10 december 2019

It will definitely come with supercharging.

My guess is the large battery comes with 72a AC charging, so it can get a full charge in about 8 hours.

TranzNDance | 10 december 2019

They'd probably offer it to the early buyers.

Mathew98 | 10 december 2019

Free/unlimited for the first 1000 miles...

Why would Tesla go backward against pay as you go SC plan?

Bighorn | 10 december 2019

They might offer it for the high dollar version, but you don’t need free supercharging to supercharge and very few home chargers are using much more than 50 miles a day, so I struggle to see who this would apply to.

Anthony J. Parisio | 10 december 2019

I see no reason to offer free super charging. After all they don't offer it on model 3. They are the same price.

I got it on my Model 3. And the Trimotor is $13k more than a P3.

TeslaTap.com | 10 december 2019

More likely depends on the competition. If Ford makes a competitive $40K EV F150 and includes unlimited lifetime free DC charging, then perhaps Tesla will do so. I highly doubt any of that will occur. Tesla is moving away from the free Supercharger model by offering vehicles at a lower price point.

@TT
Except on all the Model S and Xes where they did both. Major price drop and free supercharging.

Silver2K | 10 december 2019

I think they will offer free supercharging for tr-motor to generate more cash from the more expensive vehicle.

39k for 250+ range
49k for 350+ range
69k for 500+ range (seems there is around a $5k buffer that would allow free supercharging offer in the beginning as they did with the P3)

even though there are 3 motors, they will be smaller motors and may cancel out the cost for 3 motors compared to 2.

just guessing :)

Dual is 300+.

oh damn.. I thought it was 350+.

that's what I get for not bothering to read the first 2 :)

Mathew98 | 10 december 2019

Unless it's @Bighorn, free SC access won't cost them much, probably less than $100 a year.

Tesla would most likely offer FUSC as a demand level at some point. But it's unlikely for the CT introduction.

jordanrichard | 10 december 2019

acegreat1, you worded your question like someone that doesn't know anything about charging an EV. "500 miles will take forever on 32amp...." The logic in that question is often used in reviews by people that want to squelch EVs.

Who runs there battery to 0 all in one day before charging at home?

acegreat1 | 10 december 2019

@jr, my question was a yes or no answer. My statement holds weight, charging on 32(25mph), 4030mph,48(dont know) ,72{44mph},or 80(60mph)amp will take a very long time to charge for a 500+ range. Granted not many ppl drive 500 a day, or on a single leg on a road trip.

tes-s | 10 december 2019

Supercharging time for CT will be less than my MS.

72a CT charging will add more miles per hour than 48a MX charging. MX owners don't seem to have a problem.

I'm sure there will be plenty of CT challenges - I don't think charging it will be high on the list.

acegreat1 | 10 december 2019

I would be cool if they would make a 2 battery system and be able to plug 2 charging cables into the vehicle at once. Also goes for the roadster, and future 200kwh batt vehicles

jordanrichard | 10 december 2019

Acegreat1 you missed my point. When would ever need to charge from 0 - 500 miles at home to worry about how long it would take? How long it will take to charge will be the same if not better than what you get now, unless you run your battery completely empty before charging it to full.

tes-s | 10 december 2019

That may be cool, but not practical. Cost and weight to name a couple of challenges, not to mention most places would not have enough power to devote 160a charging to one vehicle.

72a CT or Roadster charger will charge the same miles/hour as MX with 48a charger - which does not seem to be a major issue.

I think people will AC charge at up to 20kW at home, and DC charge at 250kW (and more in the future) at public stations when needed.

tes-s | 10 december 2019

And if they need 500 miles of range every day, they are already going to a gas station at least once a day. So stopping for fuel is already part of their routine.

Earl and Nagin ... | 10 december 2019

Original Roadsters, Model S, and X, as well as Tesla's HPWC can handle 70 to 80 amp (20 KW) charging. Assuming a 500 mile CT has a 200 KWhr battery, that's only 10 hours of charging -- a long overnight. Doesn't sound like a problem most of the time. I seldom charge at 20 kW anyway even though I have an HPWC because I have a NEMA 14-50 inside my garage and the HPWC is outside.