Forums

Cyber Airstream

Cyber Airstream

andy.connor.e | 10 december 2019

We're going to need a thicker wallet!

landoncube | 10 december 2019

I wish this would happen! However, the render of a short, windowless trailer seems more cargo trailer than Airstream to me.

How about remodeling an old Airstream with a Powerwall? All Electric heat and A/C?

Thanks for the link, Magic 8. Love your wit.

Magic 8 Ball | 10 december 2019

I also would like some windows and I am sure it will happen. Of course they should have threw some PV panels on top and I am sure over the next few years we will see dozens of cool things designed around this new truck paradigm.

I can imaging a large array can be incorporated into the design that folds up from the sides to make a nice awning PV panel power plant. So many wonderful things to dream about.

Its only a rendering. But windows are important. Perhaps they are 1-way windows like the ones in police interrogation rooms.

jebinc | 10 december 2019

I'm willing to wager that trailer has a battery pack in the floor to help with towing it range. Perhaps that was already mentioned/announced and I missed it. Solar on the roof?

Some quick penciling suggests by putting panels on roof and fold up sides a 24 panel array is easily possible. Combined with battery you will never have to plug in anywhere if you park where the sun shines.

howard | 10 december 2019

bowlusroadchief.com/

If money was no object my next Airstream would be this one.

Friend of my BIL had a roadchief and papoose (huge travel trailer collection). Sold most of it off to get into collecting tractors.

Know whats great about an EV? The RV trailer should have built in AC and Heat. 120V plugs. Then the rear of the truck unfolds all that camping stuff with the cooktop, and both have solar. This is revolutionary.

howard | 10 december 2019

Andy, What you describe has been available for years. Nothing new here but the packaging.

coleAK | 10 december 2019

@howard yes been available for what 10-15 years? I bet Elon thought it up... hahaha.

I have solar on my camper. #6-295w panels. They connect to #2 golf cart batteries bridged to 12v. I did the camper first to figure out if I could do my house. The problem with a camper is everything is about weight. My Black rock 22BHS is a 22’ (26’ total length) loaded is ~6800 lbs. it’s 4 season rated and more robust (and heavy) than most other campers its size. Adding 6 panels, a charge controller, mounting, and heavier batteries added 500 lbs. and that is with a simple 4 outlet sine wave inverter to the batteries. For 18 panels your probably talking 1000-1500+ lbs depending on the frame to mont them. And even with that 5 kw array here in Alaska in the summer with 20 hours of sun it would take days to charge the truck. And How much does the solar wall weight? So now we are talking ~3k lbs on top of a 7k lb trailer, not the trailer has to be modifies to handle the increased payload... About a year ago we had an extensive discussion around this on the Land cruiser forum. And without a major advance in solar panels and battery tech it just isn’t happening any time soon. Also to run AC would require a massive inverter (heavy and electric heat makes no sense, we spend 50+ nights a year in our camper running the heat, fridge, oven, stove, water heater and I only fill #2 30lb propane tanks once a season, every fall when I store it for winter.

Plug the camper into the CT's 220V outlet, and have the CT deployable solar wings. No need to have any of that equipment.

@andy. But then you are running down the battery on the truck to power the camper, How big are the solar wings? I’m guessing not close to 1.7 kw. And the 1.7 kw on my camper is what it takes for me to run the camper entirely off grid until I run out of water or get sick of filtering 5 gal buckets and refilling our water.

The question I was answering is could the camper house a large enough solar array to charge the truck.

Whatever "30-40 miles per day" on the CT is. Water hookup is another problem.

But to your question, i think my point was that it doesnt have to. The truck would be the source of power in this case. I dont know what 30-40 miles per day translates to power.

82bert | 10 december 2019

What I really want is a Tesla semi converted into RV. That would sell like hot cakes.

30-40 Miles a day under optimal sun and optimal range. Probably more like 10-15 miles towing range. When your camping at places with infrastructure campgrounds have 240/50 hookups so can charge the truck and plug in the camper there. But in places with no charging there is no way I would want to drain anything from my truck battery to run the camper considering I’m betting 200 miles is max out of the 500 mile range truck.

i never considered camper hookup spots. But then again what good is solar camping. probably alot of trees around.

@andy... campgrounds for the most part are the only places to charge on the road up here in Alaska, we don’t have any superchargers. And I use my solar set up on our camper especially when we set net for salmon and when we go up the haul road above the arctic circle for our fall caribou/goat/sheep hunt, we are very remote for those 2-3 weeks

definitely gonna need it for that