Forums

Defective "Pin Deadfronts"

Defective "Pin Deadfronts"

I hadn't heard of this before. Apparently the plastic covers over the charge pins (AKA Deadfronts)can come off and fall to the bottom of the charge port making it so the charge connector won't go all the way in. It affects Nov. 6 2018 and prior. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154509-9999.pdf

GHammer | 11 december 2019

Service replaced mine last time the car was in.

M3phan | 11 december 2019

Mobile tech replaced mine in September

CharleyBC | 11 december 2019

There was a thread a few days ago over on TMC about this. Someone had one break: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/charging-port-issue-question.176...

Atom12 | 11 december 2019

@GHammer: "Service replaced mine last time the car was in."

Yep. Same here.

Clyffe3 | 11 december 2019

Last time mine was in, they wanted to replace as a service bulletin item, but had ran out of stock. They scheduled a mobile tech to come out when they were back in stock and he replaced them in about 30 seconds.

Kahn | 12 december 2019

same here.. 30 seconds after running around to find a propane tank that fit on my older heater (new tanks have shorter valves) so I could heat the garage as requested for the service.. 2 hours running around for a 30 sec. service.. what a pain

Lorenzryanc | 13 december 2019

They replaced mine proactively too. Real fast repair.

derotam | 13 december 2019

30 seconds...I don't think they followed their procedure correctly. haha

wiboater4 | 13 december 2019

I just went to Tesla's site for recall info and typed in my VIN. My car was delivered to me Sept 8th 2018. I have no recalls so are you sure this affects all model 3's before Nov , 6 2018 ???

SalisburySam | 13 december 2019

Replaced mine as a service bulletin item when I was in for other service (paint touch up for parking lot rash). And indeed it takes about 30 seconds to accomplish. Build date: 06/18.

donharvey2323 | 13 december 2019

@wiboater4 I'm not sure of anything. I'm just relating what the bulletin says. I posted the link in the original post. You can read it a draw your own conclusions.

hokiegir1 | 13 december 2019

@wiboater- service bulletins aren't the same as recalls.

neylus | 13 december 2019

Mobile service replaced mine last time they were out.

wiboater4 | 13 december 2019

hokiegir1 That may explain it then. I'll have to try to remember to ask about this when they do the new computer install in the future.