Forums

Center screen reboot is not working - help!

Center screen reboot is not working - help!

2015 Model S - center screen will not reboot. Have tried holding down the scroll buttons in many different combinations - 15 seconds to five minutes in range, with and without the brake on, before and after rebooting the instrument panel, etc. I've charged the car, no change. I've driven the car, no change. Can't connect to the car via my phone so can't control it that way. Can't power down the car because I can't get the center console screen.

Instrument panel above the steering wheel will reboot just fine.

Help!

jordanrichard | 5 januari 2020

Well, you only need to hold the scroll wheels down for 5 seconds.

Also, why are you trying to reboot the center screen?

jelibean75 | 5 januari 2020

The screen is black and won't turn on. This happened to me once before, and I called service and they told me to hold down the scroll wheels for one full minute, possibly more to account for a tendency to underestimate the time held. I finally got it to reboot that time after driving it about 15 miles, parking, shopping for a while, then coming back and holding down the wheels for over two minutes.

Did you tried pressing the top two buttons on the steering wheel for 30 seconds while pressing the brake.?

“Try”, not tried.

jelibean75 | 5 januari 2020

Yes, that rebooted the instrument panel (the one above the steering wheel).

Bighorn | 5 januari 2020

Your MCU sounds fried.

NKYTA | 5 januari 2020

Yeah, agree with BH. Total bummer.

There is a fuse that can be pulled that might bring it back to life short-term, but sounds like you need it replaced.

The fuse was F51 in the center fuse box for my 2012, IIRC. Probably the same for your 2015.

raj_sayana | 7 januari 2020

My 2016 Model S has the same problem. The screen behind the steering wheel appears dimmer. Rebooting did not work in my case.

raj_sayana | 7 januari 2020

Center screen black outs started happening during supercharging. It may be a clue to why it is failing.

lewiskj4 | 18 januari 2020

First time poster here.
2018 Model X owner, just returned home from vacation to a car that will recognize the key fob, lock and unlock, doors will open, dome lights will turn on, however, neither displays will illuminate and it will not drive. No Tesla support on the weekend and Roadside Assistance was no help. The resets with the control wheel and brake do not work, 12V battery checked fine, the car had 103 miles of range 20 hours ago when it "went offline" as the rep said. Cant imagine the battery is dead from 103 miles a day ago. the car is set to charge at 21:00, but with it "offline" it doesn't know the time and I cant even get it to charge-should that be the issue.
Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!

murphyS90D | 18 januari 2020

How long did you hold both scroll wheels in? If the car is in deep sleep it can take a lot longer than you might think to get it to respond.

lewiskj4 | 18 januari 2020

I held with and without the brakes for two minutes each. To no avail... I do notice when I hit the brake the controls wheel buttons light up, it sounds somewhat normal and then nothing, still unable to drive and no displays.

Bighorn | 18 januari 2020

Can you do anything with your app? Pop frunk or turn on climate or remote start?

lewiskj4 | 19 januari 2020

No connection to app at all. Tesla said it lost communication randomly and cannot regain.

murphyS90D | 19 januari 2020

The car must have turned the cellular radio receiver off. Otherwise Tesla could call the car directly over the cellular network and connect.

Do you have a voltmeter? Can you measure the 12 volt battery?

Bighorn | 19 januari 2020

MCU failure can cause similar symptoms.

SbMD | 19 januari 2020

Agree that it sounds like an MCU issue, unfortunately.
@jelibean's issue may be the eMMC chip, given that the car is having those issues but drivable.
@lewis' issue may be the same, but IIRC the eMMC issue leaves cars drivable.

Thanks to all! Checked the 12v, all normal there. Issue still remains, however, the car is not drivable. SbMD, any idea if the issue will be covered under warranty? Very little info on the issue. Difficult to deal with when Tesla service is only available weekdays. Very expensive paper weight at this point...

It’s covered if you’re still under warranty.

SbMD | 19 januari 2020

@lewis - given that you have a 2018, it should be covered under warranty. Sorry for your troubles. Tesla will make it right.

@BH + 1

Thanks a ton! Super disappointed at this point, but hoping for the best!

NKYTA | 19 januari 2020

Extra balm added for you.

Should be okay.

Who told you to put the balm on?