Forums

NOA and Toll Roads/EZ Tags

NOA and Toll Roads/EZ Tags

Just curious how other people are handling Autopilot through tolls and your thoughts.

It doesn’t seem to like staying in the EZ Tag lane and always prompts to move into the far right lane where the self pay lines are.

Whenever I approach the toll now I either turn off NOA and just use the auto steer through the EZ tag lane, or I’ll take control, drive through and re-initialize once clear.

It would be neat to select a preference for tolls (EZ TAG or stop and pay) and navigate based on that.

vmulla | 9 februari 2020

"Whenever I approach the toll now I either turn off NOA and just use the auto steer through the EZ tag lane, or I’ll take control, drive through and re-initialize once clear." @jhonnyo1980

That's what I do as well as well. I sometimes experiment and see what AP does, but that's a hit and miss. We have a long way to go before AP can handle multiple lanes and cars switching lanes to get to their preferred toll lane. There's also additional confusion at unmarked roads for a section before/after toll plazas.
Sometimes AP does great when I experiment, but there's a whole lot of refinement necessary before it can pick specific toll lanes.

ken.lunde | 9 februari 2020

Same here. I temporarily disengage NOA. No worries. Also, instead of mounting the EZ tag to the inside of my windshield, I simply place it on the dash right before going through the sensor, then put it back into its sleeve, then back into the center console where it belongs.

edwardjstewart | 10 februari 2020

No NOA for me, just AP - but a trip up and down MD/Delaware on I-95 and Rt 1 this weekend, AP handled the EZ-pass splits amazingly well. I was usually in the center lane, and the markings essentially Y with EZ to the left and cash to the right. There are usually dotted lines to the right, with steady dashes on the left -- every time, down and back, AP stuck with the lane I was in. I was impressed.

Just_Ted | 10 februari 2020

RWD, LR, EAP/FSD:

I occasionally take the Harbor Tunnel or the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-895/I-95) Northbound and Southbound in Baltimore, usually over in the "hammer-lane" that feeds directly into the EZ-Pass only lane. NOA has performed flawlessly in those situations. As it approaches the Toll Plaza, it alerts me that "NOA unavailable in X feet", drops down to just AP, and then re-engages NOA after the toll.

One thing I do watch for is that the speed limit in the EZ-Pass lanes dips down to like, 40 MPH and if there is not a car in front of me, AP tends to hold my 70/80/90 mph set point... (you can get nasty letters from the MDOT about that, they threaten to suspend your EZ-Pass if you don't chill out!)

Sarah R | 10 februari 2020

I've only ever encountered tolls on CA-73. The main toll plaza is at three midpoint of the road, where you pay full price. It's "Fast track" only, and the cash lanes are closed. NoA handles it flawlessly, essentially ignoring the fact that there's a toll plaza at all. I do hear the navigation voice saying, "Keep left to stay on California 73 North" so she knows that there's a toll plaza there. But she knows to keep driving.

EVRider | 10 februari 2020

I haven’t encountered that issue. Do you have the “use HOV lane” setting enabled? If not, try enabling that and see if it changes anything.

On my last road trip, I had a different issue — navigation wanted to keep using an express lane that wasn’t open. This is why I still require lane change confirmations when using NoA.

Johnnyo1980 | 10 februari 2020

@EVRider

Yeah, I require lane change confirmations because of the toll lane thing. I take it daily and it’s just easier to use the stalk.

I did let it run on automatically for a few weeks to check it out after reading the recent updates made it much more competent. I’d leave it on all the time were it not for the toll roads.

IHaveArrived | 10 februari 2020

I mostly do not use NOA during commuting, even without tolls the thing just wants to weave in and out of traffic too much as individual lanes clog and clear.

mps331 | 10 februari 2020

turn off the "avoid tolls" in your navigation option... hope this helps...

vmulla | 10 februari 2020

mps331 | February 10, 2020
turn off the "avoid tolls" in your navigation option... hope this helps..
---
No, this will not help in this situation because the car is already on a toll road.