Forums

Windshield Tinting

Windshield Tinting

I've inquired of a local tinting shop about tinting the windshield on my Model 3. They need a waiver releasing them from liability for issues stemming from this job. I've seen a number of threads about tinting the windshield. Do I need to be concerned? Has this issue been resolved as of a certain VIN number perhaps? Would like to hear about your experience either positive or negative. Thanks,

Magic 8 Ball | 5 mars 2020

If you have seen a number of other threads why a new thread?

What was your take a way from the other threads?

Maykinit | 5 mars 2020

If someone could clue me in on how to search this forum it would be appreciated.

site:forums.tesla.com windshield tint

Pop that into google search. Change search terms as required.

Cliffs notes: Anonymous strangers will advise you to not do it, other anonymous strangers will say no issue with it.

Maykinit | 5 mars 2020

Any personal experience?

Yes, I live in CA and it is illegal to do it here.

My personal opinion on this is that adding aftermarket stuff to your car can void manufacturers warranty. This statement usually creates a debate over Magnuson moss warranty act but cutting to the chase on that if your window cracks while tint is being installed, or after, and you try to accuse Tesla of "bad glass" or something else they will most likely refuse you because the glass was aftermarket tinted. After they refuse you then you will have to engage a third party advocate or sue them yourself. Tesla will easily be able to show that the glass was not engineered to be compatible with aftermarket tint and they are not required to be compatible.

Add tint at your own risk.

RayNLA | 10 mars 2020

It can be done safely but make sure the tint shop knows exactly what they are doing. And has the right equipment.
https://youtu.be/LX4EdKg_Hao

howard | 10 mars 2020

I have Huper Optik 80% on my front windshield, 40% on the rest and have had on most of my other vehicles for years. I have never had an issue. Makes driving in direct sun so much more pleasant. It also allows me to run the AC at a much lower setting.

lbowroom | 10 mars 2020

I would say the benefits of tinting far outweigh any risk. If I could say there is 0 risk with a competent tint shop I would, but I know there is no such thing as 0. This is one point I agree with Howard wholeheartedly and completely disagree with 8ball who sometimes needs a tinfoil hat. No one can prove that glass is incompatible with tint.

Magic 8 Ball | 10 mars 2020

Absolutely easy to prove that tint application can affect the mechanical properties of a windscreen. The reason some tint shops refuse is they understand this and that the car manufacture is not on the hook for broken windscreens with tint applied.

Do not be misled by the morons that try to tell you otherwise, perhaps they should start wearing foil hats if they already don't.

lbowroom | 10 mars 2020

The same way polishing lug nuts affects aero

No one has refused to polish my nuts yet ; ). Some tint shops do not want to take on the liability, I can not blame them. The proof is in the OP where a release is required before work is done. Not hard to understand.

BTW, I am genuinely curious, where did the polishing lug nuts affecting aero come from? I certainly never said anything like that???

bddaughe | 10 mars 2020

The issues I had read about concerning tinting was the liquid used during tinting on occasion ran down and shorted out the computer. When I queried about it, they sent me links with concerns. Most people that have had it done say that if the company is reputable they manage the liquid in a way that couldn't harm the computer. But as always, it's up to you to take the risk.

howard | 10 mars 2020

A competent shop (Huper Optik Authorized) will do a great job.. You get what you pay for. I was trying to count how many cars and trucks I have had fully tinted. More than a dozen over 20 years with out even a remote issue. There are no issues

"There are no issues"

Requiring a customer to sign a release strongly suggests otherwise.

howard | 10 mars 2020

bddaughe, A good shop puts a special high Absorbent rope in the crack between the dash and the windshield then they use the very minimum amount of water. The shop I had used has done dozens of teslas

howard | 10 mars 2020

M8B only for you.

Only one reason for the release, move the liability of the known risk away from themselves.

lbowroom | 10 mars 2020

Polishing nuts for aero is just an analogy I use when people make silly arguments. Everything is affected by everything, but by how much. Liability? Great I’ll assume the liability for tint breaking a windshield the same way I’ll take the liability for an ant denting my hood as it walks across it.

Yes, some computers got wet. Now they know better. I heard that the connector was changed to right angle (can’t confirm). Tint shop owners are people too, they get irrational fears. I’d hesitate to work with a shop that is afraid to tint.

lbowroom | 10 mars 2020

Stop by SEMA someday and hand out pamphlets advising people to only use OE products.

Take a car you modified with an aftermarket blower you saw in a pamphlet at SEMA back to the dealer after you blow the engine and ask for warranty repair.

lbowroom | 10 mars 2020

Why would I do that?

It is just an analogy I use when people try to make silly arguments.

lbowroom | 10 mars 2020

That window tint breaks glass?

That aftermarket mods (window tint is an aftermarket mod) can void parts of the car manufacturers' warranty.

lbowroom | 10 mars 2020

Yes, under certain conditions they can. I thought this thread was about tinting the windshield.

BTW, lbowroom we are on the same page and I would not use any aftermarket mod if the installer or manufacture requires a release if I cared about car warranty. I would go one step further and make sure the mod istaller/mfr have guarantees that the mod will cause no issues or interfere with the car warranty.

The thread was started because the OP is concerned the tint shop wanted a release signed. The tint shop is concerned they could damage the car with the tint and or tint process which would not be covered by the manufactures warranty.

howard | 10 mars 2020

Magic 8 Ball | March 10, 2020
The thread was started because the OP is concerned the tint shop wanted a release signed. The tint shop is concerned they could damage the car with the tint and or tint process which would not be covered by the manufactures warranty.

Good grief find a more reputable shop. I have never signed a release for window tinting.