Forums

Moonroof

Moonroof

I'm concerned about the glass roof--I have read that it does have a UV blocker, so you won't get sunburned. But, for those of us who live in areas with a lot of sun all year round, I am wondering about how hot the car is going to get when parked as well as the load on the A/C when driving. Does anyone have any thoughts or information on this?

damonmath | 1 april 2016

My Model S has the pano roof with the standard UV tint and I live in Southern California. Never had a problem with heat.

JeffreyR | 1 april 2016

- You can find videos showing how a light sensor drops as you raise/lower the window ("Surface Temperature Test of Spectra PhotoSync Performance")
- Lots of posts on this topic in both Model S and Model X (volkerize "UV pano roof")
- Posters recommend coating/tinting side and windshield of Model S, but routinely skip pano roof because it is already blocking so much (I recall 95% IR)

https://www.teslamotors.com/support/model-s-specifications

damonmath | 1 april 2016

I have ZERO tint on my car and have had no problems with heat at all. I did have a question for those that do: Can you still use the rear defroster if you have rear window tint? In the past using the defroster would cause the tint to bubble. Is that still the case?

skygraff | 1 april 2016

I was wondering the same thing and glad to hear it isn't a huge issue.

Assuming that they may, like they did with the S, decide to roll out a body color roof (option), I wonder if they might (did they with the S?) offer a small scale moonroof like in other vehicles. Perhaps that would be a good and well established (not the Tesla way, I know) compromise for a vehicle which may spend more time parked on the street than its predecessors. Theft deterrence and snow removal (does that scratch the glass?) are concerns above and beyond the heating/cooling/wind noise (non) issues.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Haggy | 1 april 2016

There have been times I took road trips and the temperature outside was well above 100 degrees F. I never noticed the heat until I got out of the car. That's for the Model S with pano roof.

jordanrichard | 1 april 2016

I suspect that all Model ≡'s will have the glass roof. Also if you look closely at the roof, there is a very large sunroof built in, though that may be an option. There is a separation at the top of the windshield and then across the roof, above the B-pillars. They may have devised a method to slide the front panel back without a track like in our Pano roofs. It is the only thing I can think of for why there is a clear separation in the glass roof.

danCE | 1 april 2016

In one of the YouTube videos, the Tesla demo driver was asked about an interior cover for the roof and he mentioned that they were planning this as an option.