Forums

All Right Hand Drive Countries to be placed at back of production queue for Model 3

All Right Hand Drive Countries to be placed at back of production queue for Model 3

Model 3 looks to be a great car and I have placed an order, although I am concerned that all RHD countries are to be placed at the back of the production queue. These countries include some potentially big markets for the model 3 including UK, Australia, Hong Kong, India and even Elon's home country of South Africa. I hope that Tesla is able to revise production so that RHD cars can be delivered sooner (UK to receive RHD vehicles at the same time as deliveries are made to Europe)?

redacted | 2 april 2016

You make an assertive and provocative statement in your subject. Is there any support for this?

Ecosse | 2 april 2016

Redacted, I received a confirmatory email from Tesla this morning which gave details about the order of production. The exact text is as follow:

'Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. North American deliveries will be first, followed by Europe, Asia and Pacific countries then countries with right-hand drive configurations. Those who own Model S or Model X cars will be offered priority production slots as a special thanks for supporting the Tesla mission'.

Ecosse | 3 april 2016

Anyone from Tesla or a buyer from. RHD country care to chip in on this?

Ross1 | 3 april 2016

@Ecosse: @ Bighorn seems curious as to why I didn't order a M3. I am actually hoping the profit on my shares will eventually pay for one.
The vehicle I will need in 3 or 4 years time (right hand drive, AUS) may be far different than my needs now.
Right now I need 2 cars, with towbars and hatchbacks.
By then I may need wheelchair capability, who knows? I am putting a lift in in my new house.

My houses are on the ocean beach front. I am concerned what the salt spray will do to the electronics. My Ford alternator died from the salty atmosphere.

But most of all, I test drove a Model S with AP, and loved it. But I cannot operate the touchscreen as my left hand shakes too much, and I don't want my wife doing it for me. Also there are other concerns with the touch screen.

When it is totally AP AND voice controlled, and M3 can be bought off the shelf, then we shall see.

Until then, I dont know what to do. I so badly dont want an ICE car.

Ecosse | 3 april 2016

Totally appreciate your dilemma about placing an order and finding a car that fits your needs. Sounds like you have a neurological condition and I suspect it us the same as the one my father had. If so, I can see why a touch screen would not work. I hope that your shares do well and you find a suitable car and maybe a Tesla that is adapted.

Mark E | 3 april 2016

I'd be happy if Australia received cars at the same time as the UK. We had to wait for ages for the Model S, I was in the reservation queue for 3 years.

Ecosse | 3 april 2016

Noted Mark E. Three years is certainly a fair time to wait - I am sure it has been worth it and you are enjoying your Model S.

I suppose the main issue I am raising with this thread is that it makes little sense to group all RHD countries together as they are distributed so far apart. It makes more sense to deliver RHD vehicles to the UK around the same time as deliveries are made to Europe. Equally, with Australia these should be made when deliveries are made as Asia and the Pacific countries. RHD countries should not be at the back of the queue.

Archesfarm | 3 april 2016

Ecosse - this is, I suspect, less about distribution of finished product and more about retooling the factory to build RHD config cars (probably quite expensive)

johnse | 3 april 2016

I think that the intent from Tesla is that the start of deliveries will follow that progression. Just like with the Model X, where deliveries began first in the US, and are slated to begin in Europe this summer before all of the US deliveries are made.

Being explicit about beginning US deliveries first in the West and then moving to the East also does not mean all west-coast will be delivered first. Delivery logistics for this higher volume car are going to require more batching and long-lead planning. Shipping trainloads of cars is going to be very different than truckloads.

Ecosse | 3 april 2016

Might be right there archesfarm. Not sure how other manufacturers deal with issue. Certainly I can envisage that making RHD vehicles would require expensive retooling and reprogramming of robots. I suppose the amount of orders received could matter with this.

Ecosse | 3 april 2016

Might be right there archesfarm. Not sure how other manufacturers deal with issue. Certainly I can envisage that making RHD vehicles would require expensive retooling and reprogramming of robots. I suppose the amount of orders received could matter with this.

Ecosse | 3 april 2016

Noted Johnse. That gives me an insight into how it might work in practise.

Red Sage ca us | 4 april 2016

One small ray of light is that I believe one motivation for the interior design with a central screen on a pedestal, and no separate instrument cluster behind the steering wheel, is to allow building of Right Hand Drive cars with a minimum of changes to the process of putting the car together. Reversing four or five trim pieces is a lot easier than doing so with 35 or 40 components.

skirtsanis | 5 april 2016

Man this sucks being an Aussie we got to pre order before the rest of the world, and now we gotta wait for the rest of the world to get there M3 1st, atleast got extra time to save and max it out ludicrous mode here I come.