Forums

In Canada, got charged in USD

In Canada, got charged in USD

Saw my reservation payment go through, but it went through as $1,000 USD instead of $1,000 CAD.

Is this normal?

Info | 5 april 2016

Same issue. Quite surprised to see a 1332 cdn charge on my Amex. Turns out they billed in usd even though it clearly shows here they will charge 1000 cdn. https://www.teslamotors.com/support/model-3-reservation-deposit Not sure how to get this adjusted.

alvinuk | 5 april 2016

Did you pay with an AMEX?

andrew.zanella | 5 april 2016

Hmm really? I ordered mine on April 1st and I was charged $1k CDN. I am in Ontario.

velez.j | 5 april 2016

I paid with a Canadian Amex and also got charged $1,332 CAD and the charge does show a charge in USD then FX'ed.

I am also in Ontario.

velez.j | 5 april 2016

My worry is that in the future I get applied a $1,000 CAD deposit towards my purchase as opposed to $1,000 USD.

eaclarke24 | 5 april 2016

Hey Velez,

I started a thread as well that has some information. I'm noticing a common factor here, some users who reserved with an American Express (mine is an AMEX Gold) are getting charged in USD.

Long story short, I've emailed my local Tesla dealership and they are trying to help out. I've been posting on Tesla's social media without any luck.

Edit - I can't post links to my thread in here or Reddit's Tesla subreddit.

Supraman | 5 april 2016

There is another thread where UK customers (possibly only those that used AMEX) have been charged in USD. Although in our case $1000 is about £720.

riclund | 5 april 2016

Ontario here - $1000 CAD on Mastercard. Sounds like an AMEX issue...

andrew.zanella | 5 april 2016

Agreed, must be AMEX because I used Visa and it was all in CDN

mille | 5 april 2016

Same here CDN with Visa

robbahd | 5 april 2016

Same issue with me. Charge of $1000 USD on Amex even though I entered my CDN info. I suspect it is an issue with the way they accepted Amex

Info | 6 april 2016

Has anyone heard back from Telsa on this? It sounds like they believe an 'American' Express card should be billed in USD.

alexanderjfinn | 6 april 2016

I called the Tesla support line yesterday and the operator suggested that this was a known issue with a number of Canadian buyers and that they were working on a fix - either a credit back now or the higher CAD amount applied to the purchase later. I was told Tesla would be contacting me about it at some point. I confirmed that my place in line for a Canadian model 3 was secure. The call only took a few minutes, so I would suggest others call for themselves for personal reassurance and perhaps to expedite the fix by emphasizing the extent of the problem.

tamcharles | 11 april 2016

Tesla called me back from California! Wow! Great customer service with Tesla!

From the Tesla rep, this indeed a known issue, oddly isolated to Canadian customers seeking Canadian Model 3 reservations and placing the $1000CAD deposit on an American Express card.

They are aware that it was incorrectly charged as $1000USD and I've also explained concerns about if they decide to do a refund that the total forex fees may be different, resulting in different CAD values on our credit card statement. Seems the refund and rebill (correctly) was the proposed resolution. They hinted that they weren't sure where the glitch occurs, as it does process correctly as $1000CAD with all other credit card types.

Additionally, the reassured me that my place in line was secured. Phew! Good luck all!

mkamran | 12 april 2016

I ordered online from Canada, exact same issue. Used my Canadian Amex card was charged about $1332. I sent email to sales team and they replied that this will be rectified soon.

harjitbeniwal | 18 april 2016

I was also charged $1000USD instead of $1000CAD. Anyone got any response from TESLA? Amex told me that they have nothing to do with USD charges instead of CAD.

Supraman | 18 april 2016

tamcharles - You said "From the Tesla rep, this indeed a known issue, oddly isolated to Canadian customers seeking Canadian Model 3 reservations and placing the $1000CAD deposit on an American Express card".

It is not isolated to Canadian customers. UK customers using an American Express card (including myself) have also been charged 1000 USD instead of 1000 GBP. However, in our case that meant that our deposits were less than they should've been.

Red Sage ca us | 18 april 2016

Bimpitoxical...

compchat | 18 april 2016

Don't see the issue. If I have to pay $1000 US why shouldn't you pay an equivalent amount either in Canadian or US money. Ohhhhhhh Canada.

andrew.zanella | 19 april 2016

Compchat: You are missing the point. It was advertised on the site that it is in CDN funds, so for those (and I assume it is a smaller % because it only applies to AMEX users) that were charged in US I would be worried about how it is accounted for at the end. I am sure none of us have a problem paying in US or CDN. The point is the message wasn't consistent.

That being said, I am sure Tesla will resolve the matter. They have two years to fix it so I wouldn't sweat over it yet.

simonkwan | 27 april 2016

Anyone got their charge rectified yet?

Maxxer | 28 april 2016

cad here on mastercard

TSLA3 | 7 juli 2016

email from tesla this morning:

We appreciate your support and excitement for Model 3. Thank you for making a reservation.

It has come to our attention that some Canadian customers who placed their Model 3 reservation with an American Express card were overcharged due to an incorrect exchange rate and foreign transaction fee. We are reaching out today because you were effected by this mistake. To correct this error, you will be refunded $240 USD equivalent to $300 CAD from Tesla within the next 7 days*. The status of your Model 3 reservation will not be effected by this adjustment.

joemar10 | 7 juli 2016

ac41384, Did they actually misuse the word "effect" in place of "affect" in an official document?

TSLA3 | 7 juli 2016

i copied and pasted the emal

joemar10 | 7 juli 2016

Thanks ac41384. I really try not to be anal about it, but using "then" for "than", "to" or "two" for "too", "your" for "you're" etc., especially where someone should know better, bothers me. I read a lot of self published books and that is usually the biggest indicator of it being self published. I know that this teccnically off topic, but I had to rant.

joemar10 | 7 juli 2016

Thanks ac41384. I really try not to be anal about it, but using "then" for "than", "to" or "two" for "too", "your" for "you're" etc., especially where someone should know better, bothers me. I read a lot of self published books and that is usually the biggest indicator of it being self published. I know that this teccnically off topic, but I had to rant.

joemar10 | 7 juli 2016

simonkwan | 8 juli 2016

I see the refund in my AMEX account, turns out to be $313 CAD, not quite the $355 that I got overcharged. :(

gregjameson | 9 september 2019

I have had the same issue with Mastercard, charged 1000USD refunded 1000Canadian