Forums

What do you think it is Elon's tweet of Tesla's Secret Master Plan Part 2

What do you think it is Elon's tweet of Tesla's Secret Master Plan Part 2

My guess is it will involve how Tesla is going to participate in the transition to clean energy. The original secret master plan was mostly about electric cars with only casual mentioning of clean energy. We'll find out soon.

SCCRENDO | 10 juli 2016

I'm also betting that he is moving in that direction. The solar city purchase was the first clue. I suspect he will bundle the Model 3 with solar panels (either leased or purchased) with or without a powerwall. This be the bread and butter. However I think max solar panel plus powerwall with the upper scale models taking homes off grid will be another possible offering. Of course we can appeal to the conspiracy theorists and suggest he will bundle in a space X capsule so one can escape to Mars if things don't go according to plan or if indeed Trump becomes president.

vperl | 10 juli 2016

Iran will take you as a refugee. See ya.

sp_tesla | 10 juli 2016

"SCCRENDO.Ca.US | July 10, 2016
Of course we can appeal to the conspiracy theorists and suggest he will bundle in a space X capsule so one can escape to Mars if things don't go according to plan or if indeed Trump becomes president."

+1

bb0tin | 10 juli 2016

I created a thread a few weeks ago wondering if Elon would release a second Secret Master Plan. In that thread I detailed what I hoped would be in it. The gist was this:
Elon recognises that the Climate Change threat is upon us and that the world is not moving fast enough, or doing changes on a large enough scale, to avert it.
Tesla has proven that electric cars and battery storage are a solution to part of the problem.
Tesla will have with the Gigafactory and Model 3 production lines, a massively deployable production capability.
Solar City with their panel factory will have a massively deployable PV panel production.
Combine solar, battery storage and electric cars as a package and you have the best solution for private power and private transport from both environmental and economic perspectives.
I hope that Secret Master Plan V2 is massive and imminent deployment.
The writing is on the wall for a fossil fuel world.
The question is will it end before we destroy a decent climate for humanity.

vperl | 10 juli 2016

Gee whiz, Chicken little, run for cover, remember to duck, and cover. (Not to sure how a chicken, " ducks").:-

SCCRENDO | 10 juli 2016

Of course we could always escape to Oregon and shack up with vperl but it's unlikely that Tesla will deliver your Model X there. No Space X launches coming out of Oregon either.

vperl | 10 juli 2016

Sorry, you have no visa, CALIFORNICATORS limited to seven days, ankle bracelet insure you go home. We have been infected enough.

PorfirioR | 11 juli 2016

One needs to keep in mind that Elon is a CEO of a publicly-traded company and his strategic decisions need to be for the better of the business on behalf of the shareholders. Therefore, I do not expect some grand altruistic pronouncement that we will make the world a better place and (in his best Oprah impersonation) rainbows and kittens for everyoneeeeeee...!

I expect that this secret master plan will be business-oriented (read: boring), or slanted that way to keep regulators and shareholders happy. Like Powerwall, it will not sound bold. In other words, many of Elon's fans will be disappointed.

It will somehow tie-in Model 3 and mass use of electric automobiles, both as a nod to the last step on secret master plan v1 and as a way to tie it to Tesla's strategic business direction, again, keeping shareholders happy.

My guess is that Elon will claim victory on making electric vehicles feasible and acceptable to the masses, thereby taking care of a good chunk of the energy consumption part of the equation. Now it is time for Tesla to take care of the energy generation piece - hence version 2.

My fearless prediction is that Elon will announce that Tesla will seek to become a full fledge, worldwide utility company, one that can sell you electricity and not panels, perhaps starting in Nevada. Along with Elon's usual take-over-the-world hyperbole.
It would go like this:
You don't want solar panels on your roof? Fine, but Tesla can still sell you solar electricity as a utility company.
Another scenario is where Tesla, as a utility, does its own form of net-metering regardless of local regulations and sells, redistributes, or uses the excess electricity generated by home solar installations.
SolarCity can already do some of this but that model is strictly decentralized generation. I believe the complete solution will require both centralized generation at a solar powerplant along with residential generation.

To me, given the pending SolarCity offer, this is what makes the most sense. Why complicate things with an announcement that does not address the elephant in the room?

P.S. What is neat is that this is so much like something Nikola Tesla might do. If I am right, I vote for the first plant to be named Wardenclyffe Station.

Hi_Tech | 11 juli 2016

Current Secret Tesla Masterplan:
"Build sports car
Use that money to build an affordable car
Use that money to build an even more affordable car
While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options
Don't tell anyone."

If anyone wants to go back to read the original blog from August 2006 (which I just did), it's quite clear they had originally planned brining on SC panels/power generation to the Tesla market.

With regards to "Part 2" of this plan, I'm thinking closer to clearly calling out power generation, along with their current transportation and power storage capabilities.

What I mean by that is building out the case for Solar City buy-out... with the longer term why. I'm wondering if Tesla/EM are thinking about creating their own power generation company. Either at the large scale (multi-gigawatt plants) or small scale (residential roof top). This goes well beyond the simple financing capability of SC currently (even with the plans for their panel production... because they still have to sell). What if Tesla is the buyer, therefore completely reducing the cost of sales for SC. Add on the more efficient panels... I think you've got huge a whole market with profits!

Hi_Tech | 11 juli 2016

@PorfirioR - Well said on most parts. I do agree (as you can see from my post about the same time as yours) on the utility side of Tesla being announced.

I don't think it'll be boring though. It's not in his nature to come out with the boring finance/marketing stuff... That's for the bean-counters. Keep in mind this isn't a formula for the next couple years of financial growth (annual reports), rather a mastereplan. Kind of like Goals/Vision. Long term thinking. Pie in the sky stuff.

Tesla-David | 11 juli 2016

@PorfirioR , @Hi_Tech, +1, great thoughts, very much looking forward to hearing about EM's Master Plan.

carlk | 11 juli 2016

@Hi_Tech

"Keep in mind this isn't a formula for the next couple years of financial growth (annual reports), rather a mastereplan. Kind of like Goals/Vision. Long term thinking. Pie in the sky stuff."

Definitely so. Stock market reacted very positively today perhaps some people are thinking he will have a plan for something new or better in the short term. Elon is not such a person. He only cares of what he will eventually achieve.

Dithermaster | 11 juli 2016

I think he should release the update on the anniversary of the first. Hard to believe it's been 10 years since the first one, and it's amazing how closely they tracked to it. The Model X was a diversion, but as long as they can at least break even on it, not a bad thing.

Redmiata98 | 11 juli 2016

...and those of us driving that diversion apreciate it daily! Maybe that electric pick up truck will be another diversion?

carlk | 12 juli 2016

Adam Jonas is thinking a new transportation system but of course his predition is as good as yours or mine. I remember Elon did mention something about self driving bus. So there maybe something to it. I still think energy will be part of it though. It's getting very more and more exciting now.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wall-streets-hottest-teslas-top-123800556....

Ankit Mishra | 12 juli 2016

Tesla construction (building houses so solar, water harvesting can be integrated properly), electric planes.

Al1 | 12 juli 2016

I also believe it will be about mobility in the wake of these autopilot stories. More updates are needed but most of all more education.

Al1 | 12 juli 2016

There are nothing new about solar houses. That's why I don't think it will be subject to Master Plan. It will be something revolutionary, similar to part 1.

carlk | 12 juli 2016

Shared mobility is a biggie. Only disrupters like Tesla (or Apple, Google, Uber) would be able to do it. Mercedes or GM can (reluctantly) copy Tesla's EV or autonomous driving strategy but there is little they could do when it comes to shared mobility. Tesla can make 2 million cars to replace 10 million conventional cars but legacy companies will never want to do that. Those executives thought it's bad enough that Tesla is eating into their markets they haven't seen nothing yet.

bb0tin | 12 juli 2016

@Al1
You said "There are nothing new about solar houses. "
There is something new about integrating electric vehicles, solar and battery storage.

grega | 12 juli 2016

I think it has to be sustainable power. He's been pretty clear that one of his early goals was moving the world to sustainable power - and he was doing that through his cars.

Even in his original plan: "the overarching purpose of Tesla Motors is to help expedite the move from a mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy towards a solar electric economy.... Critical to making that happen is an electric car without compromises"

And simply:
"Build sports car
Use that money to build an affordable car
Use that money to build an even more affordable car
While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options".

He hasn't really done the last line.

How he does this is up for grabs, and the steps towards this. He has industrial strength battery storage, solar power, charging stations, cars with batteries, home power walls, home chargers etc.

Of course it leaves an awfully big question of "what about the cars!?"

The most positive way he can position this is to remind people he only promised to stay as CEO until the Model 3 was released. He gets to transition Tesla Motors to a new head, and keep Tesla SolarCity, with him at the head of the overall Tesla group (Tesla Energy?). Him remaining will be a big plus for people.

grega | 12 juli 2016

In Australia we can buy our power from any energy retailer, who buy it from one of the power plants. Nobody has any emotional connection to their energy retailer. So I'd switch to Tesla (then again I'm already ready to switch to a 100% renewable provider that combines hydro and solar)

Our peak power prices are about US10c/kWh higher than off peak, so we'd save 64c/day with a Powerwall. $19.50/mth will pay off a power wall in a little over 10 years... but you have to ignore installation costs. Is there a reasonable method of integrating batteries into home solar power management systems, to remove the installation cost of the power wall?

The increased cost of peak power also makes it clear that an industrial level battery container could pay for itself - particularly if Tesla started by selling to the Energy spot market when prices are highest. They could also be distributed into the power substations to better handle any strain on the system. It'd take the steam out of the Gas peaker plants (so to speak) - and that's just by buying power at off peak times and selling it at peak times (a consistent power demand improves efficiency and environmental impact).

But whether industrial battery units, or thousands of home based batteries, more solar is the what Elon will need. Even with large panels many homes don't generate more than they use, so for many people the existing SolarCity + PowerWall would have the same effect.

So how do they increase the solar footprint? Cover rooftops more completely? More homes? Cover every outdoor carpark? Buy from existing solar plants? Build their own solar plants?

Interested in seeing what he says! (though the detail will be scarce no doubt!)

grega | 12 juli 2016

Having now read half a dozen articles on this, I realise I'm saying nothing new.

Oops, should read the good analyses first, then comment.

Ross1 | 13 juli 2016

If Trump can get in, or nearly, it should be a walk in the park for the world's favorite entrepreneur.

Musk for Pres!

SamO | 13 juli 2016

Musk was born in South Africa and is a naturalized citizen of the U.S.

Section 1 of Article Two of the United States Constitution sets forth the eligibility requirements for serving as president of the United States, under clause 5:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years

Thus, as much as we need a Musk, we'll have to settle for Neil DeGrasse Tyson . . .

SCCRENDO | 13 juli 2016

If Musk can be president, I can be vice. According to Trump some other guy from Africa became president.

ram1901 | 13 juli 2016

Wish I had the screen name: LoveTheTech ... but in any case...

If we can stop with the climate change nonsense and just keep building a great company with great technology that emphasizes clean energy and a unified system of clean homes, clean power, clean transit, I'd be happy to hear that.

The result would be the same in terms of those of you who insist that the end is near if we don't adopt the
wealth confiscation climate change, aka global warming, aka global cooling programs.

The difference would be a balanced approach that does not destroy jobs and whole economies but gets to the same point of cleaning up the air, water and atmosphere.

Tesla makes a great product. It doesn't need corrupted (climate change) data and wealth confiscation programs to succeed.

Note: I'm now ducking as I know I'm about to be flamed by @SCCRENDO @bbOtin . :)

SCCRENDO | 13 juli 2016

@ram1901. Climate change is not nonsense. The only reason for Tesla's existence is because of climate change. I think Elon is more interested in reversing AGW than building cars. That he can get someone like you to buy a car is the beauty of his strategy. When you get the enemy to do what you want them to do you don't have to shoot at them. So i would say that your hope that Elon will change his strategy stands as much chance as Trump making a great president.

bb0tin | 13 juli 2016

@ram1901
You said "The difference would be a balanced approach that does not destroy jobs and whole economies but gets to the same point of cleaning up the air, water and atmosphere."
There are more jobs in the US from renewable energy than fossil fuel extraction.
The fastest growing jobs are in the renewable energy sector.
If you really cared about jobs you would change your tune.

You said "It doesn't need corrupted (climate change) data"
No it doesn't, and there isn't any, except for that produced by the deniers.

I am not flaming you.
I am pointing out that you are ignorant and incorrect.

SamO | 13 juli 2016

@ram,

Maybe you should just think about climate change in the way Elon talks about it:

"If we don't find a solution to burning oil for transport, when we then run out of oil, the economy will collapse and society will come to an end," Musk said this week during a conversation with astrophysicist and Cosmos host Neil deGrasse Tyson.

"If we know we have to get off oil no matter what, we know that is an inescapable outcome, why run this crazy experiment of changing the chemical composition of the atmosphere and oceans by adding enormous amounts of CO2 that have been buried since the Precambrian Era?" he added. "That's crazy. That's the dumbest experiment in history, by far."

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/elon-musk-burning-fossil-fuels-is-the-d...

Ross1 | 13 juli 2016

@SCCRENDO:
Lol, you for a vice?
Absolutely. What hormones would you prescribe for everyone?
Would you change the nation from a her to a him?
Well, Mother England is a her, I suppose USA is a her but perhaps the US is ambivalent and needs you. Is Uncle Sam in need of your type of treatment?
You a vice?
I think she needs a vice but not your kind. ROFL.

SCCRENDO | 13 juli 2016

I only change those who want to change. Assigning a sex to innanimate objects is probably outdated. But one has to pick one's fights

ram1901 | 13 juli 2016

@bb0tin
"I am pointing out that you are ignorant and incorrect." no need for name calling.. just present the facts, not the speculation and oft repeated falsehoods about green jobs and climate change.

@SCCRENDO .. was not hoping Elon would change his position... was hoping the national policy would continue to take a reasoned and balanced approach to weening us off of fossil fuels and not standing in the way of the advancement of technology we're seeing with EV's, solar and the like.

For both of you: I know of no one that intentional wants to poison the air and water and atmosphere. In fact, reasonable minds have come together over the past 40 years (since a Republican president established the EPA) to see to it that our air and water is not violated and that we work toward a cleaner planet. The latest reports on the 'muddy' Charles River in Boston is a good example of the progress we've made as a nation. We did it with a reasonable, balanced approach, not a radical approach as the current Climate Change movement is trying to advance.

Now you can continue your personal attacks. Won't be back to read your comments, but perhaps others will enjoy them. :)

SCCRENDO | 13 juli 2016

@Ram. Goodbye and good luck. I did not attack you personally. I just stated that you were incorrect. But to answer your latest statement. I think the responsible liberal thinkers are trying to change gently. May not be that gentle though for the fossil fuel industry and stubborn automakers who refuse to change. Radical change would be banning ICE vehicles, closing all coal mines, banning fracking, gasoline and polluting factories with immediate effect.

bb0tin | 13 juli 2016

@ram1901
You said "no need for name calling"
It is not name calling. Name calling requires a noun. I am describing behaviour using adjectives.

You said "just present the facts"
I have in the past.

You said "and oft repeated falsehoods about green jobs and climate change."

Please provide a falsehood you believe I have stated about green jobs.
Then propose a bet that it is false.
I will most likely accept the bet.

Please provide a falsehood you believe I have stated about climate change.
Then propose a bet that it is false.
I will most likely accept the bet.

You won't though will you, because you are an ignorant, incorrect cowardly liar.
Show some backbone and propose bets. Take my money.

Nexxus | 14 juli 2016

@bb0tin,

So much for not name calling. Calling someone a liar and cowardly, is just that. Name calling!

Why don't you show some couth man? Just stop it with your self-important justifications and inane and seriously jaded viewpoints, ad infinitum!

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum that's tired of hearing from you and your bombastic generalizations of what you think of everyone else. Got it?

You need to learn how to play well with others. You've dogged other people on this forum long enough.

Keep it civilized and respect others opinions, or just go away.

bb0tin | 14 juli 2016

@Go_Peddle_4_me
You said "So much for not name calling. Calling someone a liar and cowardly, is just that. Name calling!"
My statement was concerning a post which wasn't name calling.

I did describe ram1901 as a cowardly liar in my last post. It is a fitting adjective and noun for his behaviour.
He is a coward and a liar because he posted lies about my posts and is unprepared to back them up with his money.

Someone who posts is a poster.
Someone who hunts is a hunter.
Someone who thieves is a thief.
Someone who lies is a liar.
These are not name calling. They are accurate nouns for behaviour.

If I said he was a 'useless turd of a person' or 'a monkey wearing badly fitting trousers' then that would be name calling.

You said "Why don't you show some couth man? Just stop it with your self-important justifications and inane and seriously jaded viewpoints, ad infinitum!"
Do you even recognise the irony and hypocrisy in that statement.
You have not shown any 'self-important justifications' from myself. What you have seen is a determination for knowledge and reason. You may view that as self-important. I view it as seeking the truth.

You said "You need to learn how to play well with others. You've dogged other people on this forum long enough."
I am not interested in 'playing nice' with someone who lies about my posts.

You said "Keep it civilized and respect others opinions, or just go away."
Look in the mirror.
Why should I respect an opinion which is ignorant, incorrect and a lie?
My respect is earned.

Nexxus | 14 juli 2016

There is no irony or hypocrisy in anything I said. Some people will never learn and remain ignorant and obnoxious and this means you.

SamO | 14 juli 2016

@GP4Me,

Please don't feed the trolls . . . it emboldens them to think of them as "people"

Nexxus | 14 juli 2016

@SamO,

Sorry about that. I guess I just got carried away. I'll try harder in the future.

Nexxus | 14 juli 2016

By the way, love the Archer pic.

lilbean | 14 juli 2016

@SamO and gopeddle4me :-)

bb0tin | 14 juli 2016

@SamO
One thing I am not is a troll.
I create threads, or contribute to threads, with a reasoned argument backed with evidence.
As an example, several weeks before Elon tweeted that he is releasing a second master plan, I created a thread asking if it is time that he did so. Not a single person agreed.

Before the Model 3 was released, I was the only one who explicitly said I believed there would be hundreds of thousands of reservations in the first week.

If Tesla has done as I suggested with the Model 3, then you and many other naysayers will be wrong. You have your knickers in a not because I keep pointing out the invalidity of your posts.

bb0tin | 14 juli 2016

@Go_Peddle_4_me @lilbean
You have both taken it upon yourselves to cheer lead posts intended to do nothing but insult, again. Your posts provide no benefit to the forum at all. They are just your jaundiced opinion about someone. Unfortunately for you, I don't care what your opinion of me is, so you are wasting your time, and just cluttering the forum.

lilbean | 14 juli 2016

Wow. I'm cluttering the forum. You seem to be the common denominator in all the arguments. I don't expect you to understand that though. Go fight win. Yay team! Gimme a B! B! Gimme an O! O! Gimme an O! O! What does that spell? BOO! Woo-hoo! Backflip. Mid-air split. Wee!

bb0tin | 14 juli 2016

@lilbean
I am getting quite tired of your posts. You pop into a thread for no other purpose but to give your negative opinion of me. You have done this on several threads. How about you make posts that contain something other than your personal opinion about me?
PS: I don't even know why you do it, since I do not recall ever having corrected one of your posts. Perhaps you are just a simple stalking bully as you appear to be.

lilbean | 14 juli 2016

Sorry. I just have a heart for the people you pick on. If that means I'm a cheerleader, bully or stalker or whatever you want to call it. So be it. It doesn't matter to me.

bb0tin | 14 juli 2016

@lilbean
You are defending the wrong people. SamO, for instance, has been repeatedly insulting to several posters.
You first began posting about me when it was myself who was being 'picked on'. You even posted that I was a 'f*cking' whatever. That was in a thread where I was being insulted for asking a legitimate question.
Your reason does not hold water. And besides, I pick on the statements of a person, not the person. You should not feel sorry for a statement, particularly ones which can be shown to be incorrect.

lilbean | 14 juli 2016

As a wise forum member @keydiver asked me, do you even own a Tesla?

Pages