Forums

Use HUD system for car to Self-Promote

Use HUD system for car to Self-Promote

Hi Everyone,
Wanted to kick around an idea.
Rather then using commercial's, the car should have the ability to inform the public by it's own. Once the car is in Park, it would use it's sensors to detect pedestrians and initiate it's HUD system to project basic information about the car's capabilities, visible to the pedestrian.
The car would start chipping away common misconceptions and address FAQ's by it's own.

This futuristic experience would be quite impressive, i would imagine word would get around quickly and spike interest.

Now would a reasonably priced Dashboard HUD be able to accomplish this additional function?
Is it able to project large focused images so a pedestrian could read it?

cheers

DTsea | 10 augusti 2016

No thank you. Horrible idea. Good waay to get your car keyed too.

Dramsey | 10 augusti 2016

HUDs are only visible from inside the car.

compchat | 14 augusti 2016

Wasn't aware Tesla had a shortage of customers. They still have to deliver on the pre-ordered 500K model 3s. That's going to keep them very busy. Why advertise ?

Remnant | 23 augusti 2016

@ mirio (August 10, 2016)

<< Rather [than] using [commercials], the car should have the ability to inform the public [on its] own. Once the car is in Park, it would use [its] sensors to detect pedestrians and [cause its] HUD system to project basic information about the car's capabilities, visible to the pedestrian. >>

Why HUD? Most HUDs are projection+reflection systems. The reflection occurs on the windshield. How would you make it reach a pedestrian?

But even if you could do it, you would only annoy the poor pedestrian. Most people hate most uninvited, that is, intrusive commercials, even if you rename them. Your HUD projection system would simply set Tesla up for collecting negative feelings/impressions.

mirio | 26 augusti 2016

@Remnant understand that the HUD might not be an option to do this. if there is an option to project information on the windshield, visible for pedestrians, no need to design it like annoying intrusive flashy pop up ads.

my goal is for the car to inform the public what EV's are able to do, maybe just some stats would do (i.e. range, CO2 emissions saved, time saved at gas station, 0-60, map of superchargers, QR code for more info, etc).
similar to the spec charts you see affixed on new cars shown at dealerships, but electronic.

if designed right (not intrusive) i can't imagine this to harm the owner/car.

docnukem | 26 augusti 2016

No thanks. I don't even let ICE-vehicle dealers put license plate frames on my other cars, much less adhesive, self-promoting, stickers/emblems.

Now, if you wanted to make it completely passive/reactive, you could do a Siri-like or Google-like voice command, "Hey Tesla...yada, yada, yada." Then you could add a bumper sticker that reads, "Ask my car about my car".

mntlvr23 | 26 augusti 2016

@DTsea - "No thank you. Horrible idea. Good way to get your car keyed too." Exactly +1

I bought a Google Watch before others, and I am quite glad that it does not advertise itself and it's unique features to all of the people around me (I would get the crap kicked out of me and would end up friendless)

I am the only one on my block with solar panels on my roof, and I am quite glad that there is not a LED sign board with rolling letters over my front gutter explaining how much money I save and how it is good for the environment (I would get constantly egged and TP'ed)

I will be teaching my Tesla M3 not to talk to strangers.

dsvick | 26 augusti 2016

Reminds me of the billborads in some science fiction movie where they would actually call out your name and say things to you. I'd hate for my car to be, literally, getting in peoples faces.

mirio | 26 augusti 2016

Autonomous cars will have a way to interact with customers/pedestrians/police/emergency personnel in the future, so likely there will be a solution for this sort of communication anyways.

the self-promoting aspect is to advance transition to EV, NOT to brag on your behalf.
where i live cars don't get keyed or houses egged, guess not everyone is that lucky :o)