Forums

Usable capacity of Tesla batteries

Usable capacity of Tesla batteries

Teslapalooza | 15 december 2016

Yeah I read that and realized the usable capacity on the 75D is only 72.6 kwh. I wonder if the 237 mile range claim is based on this usable capacity of 72.6. I sure hope so.

I am setting my expectations low for my 75D to around 180 miles of range. This is after taking into account the use of AC/heat as needed, driving at 70 to 75 mph on highways to keep up with the rest of the traffic, and a 85% self imposed limit on charging. It would be great to hear from current owners if this a realistic expectation.

rdfbsmith | 15 december 2016

Sounds like another person fell for a hackers report .

The media has gotten to everyone lets try to post what you like about the vehicle I see everyone only post what they don't like. People tend to follow who ever leads them. Bad articles feed GM,Ford and other ICE manufactures. We as EV owners must prevent this be positive no vehicle on this planet is perfect.

brian.kelly | 16 december 2016

@rdfbsmith - I have seen you posted the same attempt to shut down inconvenient questions elsewhere as well - why? Let's discuss people's questions, not try to silence them.
To relate my experience on range, I routinely charge my X60D to 100% and it will indicate 200 miles range when full. If i drive 150 miles it will indicate around 50 remaining so the estimate is pretty accurate for my driving. That is in Arizona winter with very mild temperatures of say 45 to 75 F. At any moment I am probably using some a/c or maybe some heat and heated seats. I have seen that above 70mph the range is being consumed faster than miles are covered. My much bigger observation is that 200 miles is a very unusual amount of driving, most days the car has well over 100 miles remaining when i plug it in again.

Teslapalooza | 16 december 2016

@brian.Kelly: Thank you for sharing your experience with your Tesla. These are useful insights for me as I prepare to get my Tesla.

To the 'silencers' I say, I get a lot of good information from these blogs and I am smart enough to separate good info from fluff. Save those chiding remarks of yours for some other forum. Everyone in this forum is smart enough to draw their own conclusions from what is posted here. No one follows anyone here. It is delusional to think otherwise.

poloX | 16 december 2016

I read the article and it mostly makes sense and so I shared. It had nothing like @smith accused. @smith on the other hand, is willing for follow EV blindly. Most if not all of us here are fans of Tesla and are fans of clean energy and the environment and global warming in general... but that does not mean that we should accept any product that help makes the earth clean...blindly and unconditionally as @smith seems to suggest, at least, not the $100k products.

burdogg | 16 december 2016

To answer - the rated range is as I understand it, according to NHTS (at least it is for the S). It is not based on a 75 kw and therefore you get less because you can only really use 72.6. The rated is what you would get if you drive at a certain wh/mile (I know on the S it is around 288 wh/mi average or right in there). I don't know what that number is for the X and am curious to find out as this helps me know how far I can get when I have certain wh/mi or what I need to aim for :)

As far as the batter difference - I find it funny. It doesn't change what we know - we all care about the range - how far can I go. Again that number is fixed as far as I know by NHST (Someone please correct me if I am wrong). It is much easier to label and brand your cars by whole numbers rounded up, like 60. 70, 75, 85, 90, 100. Instead of I got a 72.6kwh battery and my car is a 72. Easier for me to keep the car straight with powers of 5 :) My opinion only, I don't feel like I was lied to or hoodwinked here either by Tesla as some want to push out - my car is the same whether my 70D really only has 68.whatever kwh.

jwh8000 | 16 december 2016

I have a 90D 20 in wheels with 6800 miles in six months. I've averaged 337 WPM over that time. I drive in Mi in the summer and Fl in the winter so pretty munch idea temps. At 90 percent charge it gives me about 230 miles. I can count on about a 10 percent loss so actual miles is around 200 to 210 per charge on long trips cruising 70 to 75 mph. Things I found that really effect range is headwind, mountains, and the heater. The air and heated seats not so munch. Also very short trips because of the high wattage use in getting the batteries up to temperature. I also lose three to five miles a day while sitting.

poloX | 16 december 2016

The point is everything else being equal, which batt size gives you the best deal and why.

Redmiata98 | 16 december 2016

Are you asking the effeciency of the extra battery mass vs the extra miles? If so, I would think that we have not yet seen the tipping point as I believe each of the batterry sizes gives more mileage, which more than comppensates for the additional battery mass. (e.g. The 90 gives more range than the 75 or 60.)

poloX | 16 december 2016

I was not asking any question. Just sharing the article.

rdfbsmith | 19 december 2016

Stop believing everything you read negative on the internet dang seems as if someone post their care has a gas engine under the hood someone would agree and complain.

rdfbsmith | 19 december 2016

Each vehicle has a reserve built into the battery

poloX | 19 december 2016

Agree. And also STOP being an uninformed diehard Tesla fan accepting everything and anything the way they are either, no matter how horrible the quality is. This particular article is MOSTLY not negative. There is only 1 negative where they call for Tesla to NOT saying the upgrade from 60D to 75D is adding 15kWH because to them, it does not. But that is not the important point to me. I really don't care that point. To me, I can sell my used cell phone for 3K and buy it or not is your choice. I am a BIG Tesla fan here and find this article to be very helpful in deciding what battery size and how to charge 100% or not so I shared. I was the one who reported and stopped the stupid Aussie guy from spreading the stupid SAS causing accidents...hoax.

psusi | 20 december 2016

I have a 75 D and limit the charging to around 85% and yea, I get 183 miles of range.

psusi | 21 december 2016

Opps, I actually have the charge limit set to 77 or 78%.

Saxman | 21 december 2016

@psusi
Hoping to take Delivery of my 75D soon.

What is theory behind setting charge limit to a specific percentage, rather than a full charge?

PedanticOne | 21 december 2016

In general, the batteries work best/last longest when charged in the middle of their range. Filling to 100% is only needed for long trips, and as you cross 90% the charging really slows down, too. So most people fill to 90% for daily use. Some use 80% as their max charge. I might set mine to 80/85 when I get it.

Saxman | 21 december 2016

Thanks Pedantic sounds reasonable.

Is there any "formula" in determining charge limit or just personal preference

There seems to be a camp of people who just pick 90%, and then there are others who think about their usual daily usage and plan their range around the midpoint of the battery. So if you know you need, say, 40% of your battery for a daily commute, you might charge to 70% and run it down to 30%. But if you do that, and you need to do an unplanned trip elsewhere, you might be stuck charging somewhere. Which is why I think most choose 90%. It's not 100, and there's still plenty of range.

Teslapalooza | 21 december 2016

As far as I know there is no set number. From everything I have read, charging to 100% every single time can reduce the mileage range over time. Tesla battery warranty is 8 years but the specifics are sketchy. Some blogs have said that a 20% reduction in range over 8 years will qualify for battery warranty replacement. That is a very loose way to specify the terms. Prorating that 20%, what if you lose 2.5% percent every year for each of the next 8 years? Will they replace the battery after the first year or the second year? It is not clear.

To protect my range capacity over the next several years, I have decided to stick to 85% for daily charge, and resort to 100% only when going on long trips perhaps 3 times a month.

Would love to hear what others think.

TSammy | 21 december 2016

I love my X60D. I am very happy with my purchase. But I truly did not understand how many factors can affect range when I bought it.

I drove a friend to work this AM... less than 30 miles round trip... area air temp in 30s ...car starts in 58 degree garage. Charged to 100% rated 204 miles. Climate Off, Range Mode on, Recovery standard.
Needed to use a highway w Speed Limit 70 and a freeway w Speed Limit 75... Gravel haulers, commuters and Semis on both. Average speed 3 lanes was 75 mph. No one traveling under 65-70 mph.
I drove the way I felt safe and conservative i.e. 3 mph over with 4 medium rapid merging accelerations.

Used 54 miles of rated charge,

No regrets just stuck it back on charger when I got home,

poloX | 21 december 2016

Now, I am seeing some good discussion coming out of this thread. For the 60D, you can charge to 100% safely and efficiently. Reason: read the article I posted.

Yup.