Forums

OT Political Thread. Not for Tender Sensibilities. You've Been Warned.

OT Political Thread. Not for Tender Sensibilities. You've Been Warned.

Pity the Sad Legacy of Barak Obama

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/09/barack-obama-legac...

If TL;dr, here is the condensed version:

The age of Barack Obama may have been our last chance to break from our neoliberal soulcraft. We are rooted in market-driven brands that shun integrity and profit-driven policies that trump public goods. Our “post-integrity” and “post-truth” world is suffocated by entertaining brands and money-making activities that have little or nothing to do with truth, integrity or the long-term survival of the planet. We are witnessing the postmodern version of the full-scale gangsterization of the world.

The reign of Obama did not produce the nightmare of Donald Trump – but it did contribute to it. And those Obama cheerleaders who refused to make him accountable bear some responsibility.

In March 2009, Obama met with Wall Street leaders. He proclaimed: I stand between you and the pitchforks. I am on your side and I will protect you, he promised them. And not one Wall Street criminal prosecution.

US drone killings continue with no accountability.

Lack of support for BLM or Palestinians.

2/3 wealth growth to the top 1%

Support for Bloomberg stop and frisk and Rahm Emanuel's everything, with zero accountability

Demonizing dissidents like Snowden, Sterling and Manning

Obamacare is a Heritage Foundation, pork laden, corporate giveaway with 20M still uninsured.

A record 2.5 million deportations.

Bernie was punk'd by the DNC

The DNC is corrupt and doesn't fight for regular people

++++++++++++++++

I'm in agreement. After the last election the RNC at least went through the motions of trying to figure out why they were losing elections. Now, it's Russian hackers and Bernie, who subverted democracy instead of odious policies that demand corporate fealty.

Get a clue DNC and democratic politicians who ignore the will of the people at their peril. Go watch idiocracy to see our future when good men and women see wrong, and do nothing.

And lest you think I support our Orangutan-in-Chief, he will be covered in another post.

+++++++++++++++++

Update 9/9 The Best Case For Bernie.

https://www.salon.com/2019/09/09/dear-bernie-heres-how-you-can-still-win...

blue adept | 28 oktober 2019

(。▼皿▼)

tew ms us | 28 oktober 2019

Yep; anyone who knows the rules to Monopoly probably supports Russian spy operations against the US.

andy.connor.e | 28 oktober 2019

oh no! but they have cookies

jojosidarolod | 28 oktober 2019

Hey. Many people ask me where you can rent a quality motorcycle. I decided to share useful information with you. There is an excellent service https://bookyourmoto.com/ with which you can compare offers and choose a trusted company. where you can rent a motorcycle. On the site that I dropped, you can familiarize yourself with this service in more detail, I think here you will be able to find a suitable option.

SCCRENDO | 28 oktober 2019

@andy. Are you from the US?? I thought you said somewhere you were from Britain. If so. How is Brexit working out for you??

andy.connor.e | 28 oktober 2019

I am and have always been from NY state. there is another @andy out there, dont get the two of us confused!

SCCRENDO | 28 oktober 2019

Thanks for clearing it up

tew ms us | 28 oktober 2019

I'm as relieved as SC that you're not from Britain; no boot nor froot on my Tesla.

blue adept | 29 oktober 2019

@tew ms us

Uh, I was referring to their earlier comment where they said:

"...someone trying to expose the government agencies are violating constitutional rights, traitor. GG to America."

Because of the insinuation that Snowden's actions were, somehow, justified.

@andy.connor.e

Damn it! I like cookies...

Still not going to the dark side tho.

andy.connor.e | 29 oktober 2019

Not even for dark chocolate cookies?

No, damn it, no!

blue adept | 17 december 2019

Further review of the homeless crisis in areas like downtown L.A. has revealed that the groups are primarily composed of victims of the opioid epidemic due to the ravages of drug abuse with only a small handful being displaced individuals or families who were victimized by arguably arbitrary rent increases as landlords sought to exploit the opportunity for revenue increases due to the influx of higher paid workers of various technology fields, and an even fewer amount who suffer from some sort of mental issue.

To this end it is clear that California and other affected states should focus the majority of their efforts on combating the increasing drug problem that is sweeping the nation due to unchecked pharmaceutical company manufacturing and distribution practices.

Families and state agencies and charity organizations should be able to remedy the remaining displaced families issues by either providing assistance to get them back to their families or into low income housing or to the appropriate mental health agencies.

andy.connor.e | 17 december 2019

I hear california provides "safe locations" to do drugs. Thats not really helping the problem. Ya know?

I've not heard of that but I agree that it wouldn't help the situation at all and would aggravate it if anything.

rxlawdude | 17 december 2019

@blue, it seems the physicians that prescribe prescription drugs are the primary culprits, since they decide whether or not to prescribe. Unethical/clueless pharmacists are similarly complicit.

I had a challenge for my ethics students: Can a pharma company be held liable in the opioid crisis if the company used FDA approved labeling and did not promote off-label use beyond that approved by FDA?

This again? I remember your raising this issue before...

IMHO both the physicians and pharmaceutical companies are each complicit in the rise and proliferation of the opioid epidemic whereas pharmacists (unless some evidence can be produced that demonstrates a connection to the physicians and/or pharmaceutical companies that denotes some sort of financial inducement) are merely unwitting middlemen inasmuch as they're unaware of whatever the physician's patient load, or specific patient requirements might be (naturally deferring to the integrity of the licensed attending physician, as is protocol), they just submit orders to the pharmaceutical companies to maintain stock and fill the prescriptions whereas the pharmaceutical companies have, themselves, been shown to incentivize physicians with kickbacks and bonuses, even stock options/shares for meeting "quota"/moving a certain amount of "merchandise", as well as manufacturing more product than actually needed/mandated...

And I can prove it!

BTW, I think you've said you're a "law professor", what sort of 'law' do you specialize in or is it just 'general theory'?

andy.connor.e | 17 december 2019

I think doctors have an important roll and responsibility to ethically prescribe drugs, and not just use writing a prescription as the means to get patients in and out as fast as possible so they can maximize daily profits.

Exactly!

jimglas | 18 december 2019

I prefer Portugal's solution to drug use

rxlawdude | 18 december 2019

@blue, pharmacy law, which includes controlled substances and the corresponding responsibility of pharmacists.
" pharmacists (unless some evidence can be produced that demonstrates a connection to the physicians and/or pharmaceutical companies that denotes some sort of financial inducement) are merely unwitting middlemen inasmuch as they're unaware of whatever the physician's patient load, or specific patient requirements might be (naturally deferring to the integrity of the licensed attending physician, as is protocol), they just submit orders to the pharmaceutical companies to maintain stock and fill the prescriptions whereas the pharmaceutical companies have, themselves, been shown to incentivize physicians with kickbacks and bonuses, even stock options/shares for meeting "quota"/moving a certain amount of "merchandise", as well as manufacturing more product than actually needed/mandated..."

Wow. I don't even know how to address such ignorance.

rxlawdude | 18 december 2019

When I refer to "ignorance" in the post above, it relates specifically to your comments regarding pharmacists.

SamO | 18 december 2019

Every Year, More Than 2 Million Kids in America Will Face a Period of Homelessness

I’m sure it’s their own damn fault /s

Ghouls.

https://www.covenanthouse.org/homeless-teen-issues/statistics

jimglas | 19 december 2019

dam takers
If they dont want to be poor, they should have been born a romney or a trump

andy.connor.e | 19 december 2019

not the kids fault. parents have a big responsibility they like to ignore

blue adept | 20 december 2019

@rxlwdude

Well, someone's feeling testy/got their knickers in a bunch...You must still be smarting from my proving you could sue a government agent despite their 'official immunity', huh?

I might have over simplified my earlier comments (trying to be inclusive of everyone) but all the same, as far as I'm aware pharmacists are responsible for, in addition to preparing medications by reviewing and interpreting physician orders and detecting therapeutic incompatibilities, dispense medications by compounding, packaging, and labeling pharmaceuticals and controls medications by monitoring drug therapies and advising interventions and not so much second guessing the prescribing physician unless there is some sort of obvious unexplainable irregularity that might trigger a red flag.

But please, by all means, do feel free to educate my "ignorance", law professor.

blue adept | 20 december 2019

@andy.connor.e

True, it is never the kid's fault.

They are only innocent, naive children new to the world who've been victimized by the depravities of the adults in their lives, but they typically don't wind up in those "tent cities" as they're more so inclined to avoid adults and group together to provide the protection to one another that they didn't get from those in their lives they were meant to be able to count on for.

rxlawdude | 21 december 2019

@blue, your ridiculous assertion that a sitting legislator, in performing their constitutional function, can be sued by a citizen as a result of alleged injury from a law duly passed, pretty much sealed the deal as to your legal acumen. You then failed with any specifics as you didn't want to tip off the other side of whatever lawsuit you were in or contemplating.

I stand by my assertion that personal liability of legislators for performing their constitutional duties is absurd.

For a lay explanation of the fact that legislators are immune from private actions for official acts, see https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2016/05/23/can-citizens-sue-the-go...

SamO | 21 december 2019

Meanwhile me and 25,000 of my closest friends showed up in Venice to hear AOC and Bernie continue the revolution.

Tesla2018 | 21 december 2019

And 5000 student leaders from colleges across the country showed up at the West Palm Convention Center this weekend to see Trump, Rudy, and a bunch of other speakers.
Trump said he would take away funding for those schools that only push liberalist agendas and deny others the right to voice their opinions.

The ones at Bernies were probably all illegals or anchor babies that want Bernie to give them free tuition and forgive their student loans and want SamO to pay for it in higher taxes.

andy.connor.e | 21 december 2019

its going to be a revolution

teslu3 | 21 december 2019

The invited 5k 15-25 year olds presumably will be given brown shirts.
Won't be green - not grass roots or youth led.

Tesla2018 | 21 december 2019

Trump was saying windmills are ugly and kill bald eagles and other birds. I was surprised that he said he needs time to evaluate the Green New Deal to see if it was any good. I believe the schools invite students to attend the Turning Point USA conference each year. A few kids that got beat up by Antifa members made speeches. One girl said it was too bad for them that she knew jujitsu before they tried beating her up.

You notice that Tesla2018 calls conservative kids "leaders" and progressive kids "illegals."

Sad, but the mentality of the right is more akin to what I'd expect in totalitarian, propaganda driven countries.

You notice that Tesla2018 calls conservative kids "leaders" and progressive kids "illegals."

Sad, but the mentality of the right is more akin to what I'd expect in totalitarian, propaganda driven countries.

sabbia | 22 december 2019

@Tesla2018. The GOP is losing the youth vote. It's really too bad. Inviting youngsters is not a measure of the voting population as a whole.
https://images.app.goo.gl/MGjkcTZzK7Fa3nq28

sabbia | 22 december 2019

The picture above was not spam. Just Tesla's reaction to a link. Here, Tesla2018, you can read the article and see the disaster to which Trump is leading the formerly honorable Republican Party.
https://www.people-press.org/2018/03/01/1-generations-party-identificati...

Tesla2018 | 22 december 2019

Sabbia-Very Ross Perot like with the charts!

SamO | 4 februari 2020

#PresidentBernieSanders won Iowa.

Joe Biden finished 4th.

Drumpf will be a one term wonder.

andy.connor.e | 4 februari 2020

good time to bring this back.

i still see 0% democrat reported

Tesla2018 | 6 februari 2020

If it's all bullshit, you've got to acquit!

My apologies to Johnny Cochran.

SCCRENDO | 6 februari 2020

@Sam0. I am also voting for Bernie. I have Warren as no 2 and Buttigieg at number 3

rxlawdude | 7 februari 2020

I'm sorry guys, but there is NFW that Bernie gets elected in the general. Swing states will strongly favor the Orange-a-Tan.

I'm liking a Klobuchar/Buttigieg ticket.

TabascoGuy | 7 februari 2020

I kinda agree with @rxlawdude but either ticket is worth voting for. My fear is, won't Bloomberg end up stealing votes from whoever wins the Democratic nomination? It's doubtful that he'll win the nomination himself so I have a sneaking suspicion that he will just re-enter the race as an Independent or Moderate or some such nonsense.

andy.connor.e | 7 februari 2020

Hoping to see at least Yang or Bernie be the nominee.

rxlawdude | 7 februari 2020

@Tabasco Guy, he will be the Ross Perot of 2020 if he does. That will hand the election to (cough) the Orange-a-Tan.

TabascoGuy | 7 februari 2020

Crap, that's what I was (am) afraid of.

andy.connor.e | 7 februari 2020

Spraytan Donald?

Pages