Forums

OT Political Thread. Not for Tender Sensibilities. You've Been Warned.

OT Political Thread. Not for Tender Sensibilities. You've Been Warned.

Pity the Sad Legacy of Barak Obama

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/09/barack-obama-legac...

If TL;dr, here is the condensed version:

The age of Barack Obama may have been our last chance to break from our neoliberal soulcraft. We are rooted in market-driven brands that shun integrity and profit-driven policies that trump public goods. Our “post-integrity” and “post-truth” world is suffocated by entertaining brands and money-making activities that have little or nothing to do with truth, integrity or the long-term survival of the planet. We are witnessing the postmodern version of the full-scale gangsterization of the world.

The reign of Obama did not produce the nightmare of Donald Trump – but it did contribute to it. And those Obama cheerleaders who refused to make him accountable bear some responsibility.

In March 2009, Obama met with Wall Street leaders. He proclaimed: I stand between you and the pitchforks. I am on your side and I will protect you, he promised them. And not one Wall Street criminal prosecution.

US drone killings continue with no accountability.

Lack of support for BLM or Palestinians.

2/3 wealth growth to the top 1%

Support for Bloomberg stop and frisk and Rahm Emanuel's everything, with zero accountability

Demonizing dissidents like Snowden, Sterling and Manning

Obamacare is a Heritage Foundation, pork laden, corporate giveaway with 20M still uninsured.

A record 2.5 million deportations.

Bernie was punk'd by the DNC

The DNC is corrupt and doesn't fight for regular people

++++++++++++++++

I'm in agreement. After the last election the RNC at least went through the motions of trying to figure out why they were losing elections. Now, it's Russian hackers and Bernie, who subverted democracy instead of odious policies that demand corporate fealty.

Get a clue DNC and democratic politicians who ignore the will of the people at their peril. Go watch idiocracy to see our future when good men and women see wrong, and do nothing.

And lest you think I support our Orangutan-in-Chief, he will be covered in another post.

+++++++++++++++++

Update 9/9 The Best Case For Bernie.

https://www.salon.com/2019/09/09/dear-bernie-heres-how-you-can-still-win...

rxlawdude | 6 oktober 2019

@SCC, as the saying goes, 1% of lawyers have to apologize for the other 99%.

SamO | 6 oktober 2019

What do you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

@blue,

You are everything that is wrong with the USA. Subservient to power. Zero accountability. Zero desire to know what is actually happening to this country and the world. I literally could not care less about your opinion, which is based on wanting to be MORE ignorant. Thanks but no thanks.

Just sayin’

SamO | 6 oktober 2019

THE SNOWDEN PRINCIPLE

At the heart of Edward Snowden's decision to expose the NSA's massive phone and Internet spying programs was a fundamental belief in the people's right-to-know. "My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them," he said in an interview with the Guardian.

From the State's point of view, he's committed a crime. From his point of view, and the view of many others, he has sacrificed for the greater good because he knows people have the right to know what the government is doing in their name. And legal, or not, he saw what the government was doing as a crime against the people and our rights.

When The Snowden Principle is invoked and revelations of this magnitude are revealed; it is always met with predictable establishment blowback from the red and blue elites of state power. Those in charge are prone to hysteria and engage in character assassination, as are many in the establishment press that have been co-opted by government access . When The Snowden Principle is evoked the fix is always in and instead of looking at the wrongdoing exposed, they parrot the government position no matter what the facts

https://boingboing.net/2013/06/17/the-snowden-principle.html

Y'know, SamO, I'm pretty sure we met at the Model 3 reveal in Hawthorne. As I recall, you were a really nice and friendly chap.

What happened?

SamO | 6 oktober 2019

Still happy go lucky. I’m not coming after you re: lawyer jokes. But game knows game. ;-)

Lawyer jokes don't phase me, as I am solely an educator (occasionally an advocate at state hearings) and expert witness.

andy.connor.e | 7 oktober 2019

I think even good lawyers would agree the bad lawyers at the bottom of the ocean would be a good start.

jimglas | 7 oktober 2019

i dont see that lawyers are any worse than any other profession
good, bad and in between

correct

TabascoGuy | 7 oktober 2019

Now why would you guys even suggest ruining the oceans?

@TG

They will eventually be carried with the oceanic plates down into the trenches and melted in the mantle. Its the better recycling option.

Tesla2018 | 7 oktober 2019

What better than a crooked lawyer at the bottom of an ocean? The politician that he has handcuffed to him!

Im envisioning decomposed lawyer volcanic eruptions.

rxlawdude | 7 oktober 2019

I'm contemplating my sea nap.

teslu3 | 7 oktober 2019

Eureka! Both Samo & Rxlawdude are good dudes.
How about a boring followup in Hawthorne, perhaps at a Model Y (or P?) reveal?
No tunnel vision, ok?

rxlawdude | 7 oktober 2019

@teslu, sounds good.

SamO | 7 oktober 2019

Love it. Let’s make our own party again with SpaceX and Tesla employees if we can’t get tickets.

SamO | 7 oktober 2019

Strong evidence of Trump’s ongoing drug use comes to light. Explains a lot of his unhinged behavior.

https://youtu.be/tPFVHM_G05o

jimglas | 8 oktober 2019

@SamO:
I suspect trump was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and has used adderal or something similar his entire life. It is not reported because he is "treating a medical condition". He just occasionally "accidentally" overmedicates himself.

SamO | 8 oktober 2019

@jimglas,

How do you get a prescription for cocaine?

TabascoGuy | 8 oktober 2019

Have you seen Trump's doctor?

andy.connor.e | 8 oktober 2019

I'd like a prescription for Meth. oh wait, i can get adderall from any doctor.

jimglas | 8 oktober 2019

@SamO: Its been reported that trump snorts adderal.

andy.connor.e | 8 oktober 2019

I just realized when i googled the name. Its:

Adder All. It adds all of it up into one magic pill

SamO | 8 oktober 2019

@jimglas,

... and cocaine.

And takes "UK legal" amphetamines.

Watch the entire link from YouTube above.

rxlawdude | 8 oktober 2019

I think he's probably taking Aricept.

SamO | 8 oktober 2019

I vote all of the above.

jimglas | 8 oktober 2019

the aricept isnt working
but it never does

SamO | 8 oktober 2019

Inherent Contempt hearings coming soon?

Congress can jail a "reluctant" witness who refuses to provide testimony.

Enjoy . . .

https://sidebarsblog.com/contempt-of-congress/

rxlawdude | 8 oktober 2019

It's getting very interesting. One who is truly innocent would do everything to prove it. Here, the Orange-a-Tan is doing everything a guilty party would be expected to do.

Yet the GOP sees nothing.

Sad.

SamO | 8 oktober 2019

FBI’s Use of Surveillance Database Violated Americans’ Privacy Rights, Court Found
U.S. discloses ruling last year by Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court that FBI’s data queries of U.S. citizens were unconstitutional

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/fbis-use-of-foreign-surveillance-tool-v...

blue adept | 8 oktober 2019

@SamO

Not "power", just authority.

No one should be above the Law (you are aware, are you not, that governmental agencies like the CIA and the NSA are the "law", right?).

I have a far larger world view awareness than a great many people, you included, a fact which I believe that I've more than adequately demonstrated on more than one occasion.

Your interpretation of my "opinion" does not correlate with the facts as I've never said anything about anyone wanting to "be MORE ignorant", but do feel free to verify your assertion with some facts.

Again, why didn't he merely file a "whistleblower complaint" (you know, like all of the other actual whistleblowers did) instead of copying a massive amount of operations data and defecting to Russia..."?"

@rxlawdude

He got behind a keyboard and the anonymity afforded by the Interwebz.

@rxlawdude

Last I heard it was illegal to obstruct justice, especially by abusing your invested authority/exploiting the power of your office to do so...?

SamO | 9 oktober 2019

You are a clueless bootlicker and authoritarian. The idea that the CIA is the le is a fiction in your own mind.

The constitution is the law.

SMDH.

SamO | 9 oktober 2019

Law

rxlawdude | 9 oktober 2019

@SamO, I'm confused. You say the CIA isn't the "law."

CIA was created by Congress and signed into law by Truman. That authorization is the law.

andy.connor.e | 9 oktober 2019

lawdude knows the law

SamO | 9 oktober 2019

Well let me instruct the lawyer who seems to not actually know the law:

The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) is a civilian foreign intelligence service of the federal government of the United States, tasked with gathering, processing, and analyzing national security information from around the world

CIA doesn't enforce the law. CIA gathers, processes and analyzes national security information. CIA does not equal the law. The "law" is actually the "law".

CIA is an intelligence service. And like any agency, THEY can follow the law or break the law.

This should be obvious to such an experienced lawyer unless your area of expertise is not intelligence gathering or law enforcement.

Hence why I posted the link above about the FBI violated the constitutional rights of US citizens. I'm honestly baffled that you think that if the government does something, it must be legal or correct.

Sad.

andy.connor.e | 9 oktober 2019

CIA has broke the law just like the NSA. Government agencies are not necessarily honest.

I guess we'll have to disagree. The CIA or FBI, routinely (not illegally ordered to violate the law by a rogue superior) run roughshod on constitutional rights as a matter of policy? I think not.

Is gathering evidence of sedition or treason "law enforcement?" I think not.

Call me weird, but I appreciate intelligence gathering that catches and pre-empts domestic and foreign terrorist acts.

The bigger irony, @SamO, is while you focus on the big bad gubmint's use of gathered data, you never mention the commercial collection of private information to compile rather scary composites of consumers. Every one of us. THAT'S what we need to address.

SamO | 9 oktober 2019

We don't disagree on the facts, do we?

The NSA, CIA and FBI have often acted lawlessly, bulk collecting the communications of all Amercans.
Whistleblowers have exposed wrongdoing, which has resulted in Courts determining that changes had to be made to policy, enforcement, data collection, among others.
Those policies were, in fact, illegal and unconstitutional.

Unless you can refute those items, then you don't have a leg to stand on.

The bigger irony, is that I have been focused on the issue of corporate data collection and have supported a candidate, Bernie Sanders, that has been advocating for personal privacy beyond any other candidate.

"Bernie Sanders believes that increasingly omnipresent mass surveillance and attempts to undermine net neutrality are corrosive to democracy in America. He has voted against the Patriot Act and opposes warrant-less wiretapping. In regards to net neutrality, he has co-sponsored and introduced legislation in favor of an open Internet."

https://feelthebern.org/bernie-sanders-on-privacy-and-digital-rights/

How's that for irony.

jimglas | 9 oktober 2019

they were collecting metadata, not communications.
specific communications can only be accessed if approved by a court

SamO | 9 oktober 2019

wrong. Snowden exposed individualized collection.

The NSA collects then searches all Internet traffic that travels across major fiber optic backbones. The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has a pending lawsuit which seeks a ruling that the NSA violates the Fourth Amendment by tapping into the Internet backbone and then copying and searching the data it collects. The lawsuit, which has had some success, also challenges the legality of the surveillance done since 2008 under section 702 of the FISA Amendments Act and under Stellar Wind the President’s Surveillance Program (PSP) from 2001-2008.

While the NSA claimed to filter out data which stays within the U.S., this is clearly not true. Under “upstream” surveillance, any of your communications could be intercepted by the NSA if the data happened to pass through a foreign server, even if the recipient is in the U.S. The NSA has pursued several other approaches to mass surveillance, including mass distribution of malware.

The NSA is also using a program called Prism. It’s complicated, but you can find more information at this site. Below is a chart that shows how our communications are funneled to the NSA and searched. Want to know more? Check out this detailed timeline of the NSA domestic spying program.

https://www.eff.org/nsa-spying/timeline

Yet not one comment about private data collection that's far worse than anything the government collects.

efuseakay | 10 oktober 2019

Those are great mugshots of Rudy’s pals Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman. They’re quite photogenic. lol

Rudy Giuliani winding up in a privately-owned prison he helped overpopulate would be the most delicious of ironies

sabbia | 10 oktober 2019

@efus Rudy was once decent. He prosecuted the biggest New York organized crime family. Wouldn't want to house him near those he put away.

SamO | 20 oktober 2019

Bernie just had the biggest rally. Endorsed by AOC, among others. The energy and the people are behind Bernard Sanders.

https://www.gq.com/story/bernies-back-queens-rally

And Hillary got dragged for pumping bullshit about Tulsi.

“You, the queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long, have finally come out from behind the curtain.”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/10/19/20922122/hillary-clin...

Great weekend!

SCCRENDO | 21 oktober 2019

Every party has it its BS and neither Hillary’s comments nor Tulsi’s comments are helpful. Hillary had her turn and should stay away from this election. While Biden did nothing legally wrong the situation with his son is not smelling very good. Personally I think he carries too much baggage. Bernie and Warren seem to be competing for similar voters and Warren is presently winning the battle. But they are splitting voters and would almost do better as a team. Budigieg is on the rise and there is also Tom Steyer who could take away Biden voters and those who fear progressive politics. Elizabeth Warren needs to stop avoiding the topic and be honest like Bernie. Yes Medicare for all will raise middle class taxes but will overall decrease costs because people won’t be paying all that money for medical insurance and people won’t have to deal with the denial bureaucracy of the HMOs.

SCCRENDO | 21 oktober 2019

Susan Rice was on Bill Maher the other night and was pretty outspoken no Snowden. She recognized that he had a legitimate gripe. But his methods were wrong. He apparently gave away many secrets that are hurting the US long term. I don’t know enough to be a judge here. Just presenting an opinion. See the BIll Maher show from 10/18/2019

Pages