Forums

A "must have" software for supercharging station needed

A "must have" software for supercharging station needed

The supercharging stations become more and more crowded recently as more Tesla hit on the road. It's not unusual for the waiting line to be more than 5 cars. There are a lot of confusions who is the next one since different cars pull in at different time. There is a need for Tesla to develop a "sing-in" software at each supercharge station:

1) To assign a line number so that the waiting cars knows their order and maybe even the needed waiting time.
2) To send message to the occupied owner to remove the car as soon as the charge is finished.
3) To limit the charge capacity to 90% rather than full charge since the last 10% charge would take much longer time, especially the last a few miles....
4) To help drivers to decide which supercharging station to go to once the occupancy is available online ...

J.T. | 21 februari 2017

>>>There is a need for Tesla to develop a "sing-in"

I do a mean rendition of Electric Avenue. :-)

reed_lewis | 21 februari 2017

No. The Electric Slide. (Boogie Woogie)

RedShift | 21 februari 2017

If my Tesla is a rockin', don't come a knockin'.

janendan | 21 februari 2017

A serious question -
Are there any solar superchargers, yet?
Does supercharging reduce the energy density or damage the cells, more than the plug in at home?
What is the optimum acceleration and cruise for the model S ?

TeslaTap.com | 21 februari 2017

Solar arrays at Rocklin, Tejon Ranch, Hawthorne, and perhaps a few others. The numbers so far indicate Supercharging has little if no effect on pack longevity or decline.

As for optimum acceleration and cruise - 0 mph would use the least power :) Not quite sure what you really want here. Longest distance will be achieved at around 25 mph on flat, at constant speed, at 70 degrees, no HVAC. You might get close to 500 miles of range in an 85D.

Bighorn | 21 februari 2017

I drove over 2500 miles this weekend and charged with one other Tesla the entire trip. Saw no Teslas for the first 1070 miles, so this may be a CA specific question. Does the Macarena count as a song?

RedShift | 21 februari 2017

@bighorn

Macarena hasn't counted since the 90's. Sorry dude.

eding00 | 21 februari 2017

I live in southern CA. It's often crowded with a waiting line. One can image with model 3 coming out.....

massimob30 | 21 februari 2017

Same here Eding, I drive by the Burbank store often and rarely see the supercharging empty.

Haggy | 21 februari 2017

First of all, it is unusual since most supercharger locations never have a wait. The ones I've been to with waits didn't seem to have any potential confusion because owners know which cars were there when they arrive. Tesla has put attendants at sites where there have been crowding problems.

What's better than having a solution for keeping track of who is in line is to have a system that shows availability at chargers, and to open more locations so there are no lines.

NKYTA | 21 februari 2017

Barstow also has a small solar array over the "original" four bays.

Burbank SC at the SvC is just a nightmare. Too many entitled folks in SoCal?!? ;-)

No lawn chair folks with stogies when we visited SJC. Heck, even San Mateo had empty spots when I went to the gym today.

I'm curious to try a road trip with the new Nav enhancement noting # of stalls taken.

BH, was it spot on during your latest trip?

bp | 22 februari 2017

Let's hope is planning to make additional improvements.

Among the features they could add are advice on the optimal chargers to use (when chargers are being shared), a way to report blocked/unusable chargers, predicting the likely wait when approaching busy chargers, ...

if the new charging/idle fees aren't enough to encourage effective use of the superchargers, we should expect Tesla to make additional changes - such as charging more for "topping off" and imposing greater penalties for drivers leaving their cars parked after charging completed.

Bighorn | 22 februari 2017

@NKYTA
The status was wrong much of the time. Several empty stations showed 2, 4 or 6 stalls occupied. I thought maybe they were inoperative stalls but I never plugged into one that didn't work, so odds of that are slim.

SCCRENDO | 22 februari 2017

@bighorn. Glad they are trying to set this up. Let's call it early beta and hope it improves over time. AP may be a bigger priority.

NKYTA | 22 februari 2017

BH, ta.

San Mateo's status is always close, but rarely accurate.

Rocky_H | 22 februari 2017

@eding00, Quote: "I live in southern CA. It's often crowded with a waiting line. One can image with model 3 coming out....."

Oh jeez, this again?

The current number of Supercharger sites/stalls = Now

The large number of Model 3 on the road = 2 years from Now

You're assuming they exist at the same time, like Tesla isn't going to build any more Superchargers in the next two years.

trx430ex | 22 februari 2017

It would be a great thing if Tesla released the API for the supercharger, it would be like the first day of the App Store
Release the Grakin and let's see who builds the best super charger, can it do 440 volts @ 800 amps? Can it go as fast charging as discharging? Everyone else is so far behind on that.

You know what I do see every day, 2 hots and a ground on top of every pole in the nation. Why not tap the high voltage on the pole before the transformer? We could cut the cost of a supercharger station by 10 fold, just hang it on the pole, I believe that is legal,

The idea goes beyond regulations, double check with legal, but if I'm right, someone owes me a car. Nobody has ever asked to get in front of a transformer on a public pole.

RedShift | 22 februari 2017

@bighorn

I am curious. You are a doc, aren't you? Why do you travel so much? Are you very rich that you can afford so much time off?

reed_lewis | 23 februari 2017

@tr430ex - The issue with using the power before the transformer (the high tension lines) is that the power there is AC not DC. The car only accepts AC through its internal charger which is either 48 Amps or 72 Amps for the newest Teslas. You would have to convert the power to DC to allow supercharging to work correctly in the car.

That is exactly what the Super chargers are. They take a higher voltage and convert it to DC for the car to accept directly.

Bighorn | 23 februari 2017

@RedShift
We closed the office for Presidents' Day so on Friday I decided to pack a pillow and some dog food and hit the road. My only cost is if I see something good to eat on Yelp.

SamO | 23 februari 2017

You rich ;-)

Rocky_H | 23 februari 2017

@Bighorn, Quote: "We closed the office for Presidents' Day so on Friday I decided to pack a pillow and some dog food and hit the road. My only cost is if I see something good to eat on Yelp."

You mean better than the dog food?

@Rocky
I didn't get in there fast enough that the dog food wasn't for me, but it is a potential cost saving strategy after today's sell-off.

@SamO
Not lawyer rich:)

SamO | 23 februari 2017

I meant in spirit. ;-)

I'm rich in family spread out all over which gives me a chance to visit them for free instead of flying for my vacations. There's lots to do for zero incremental cost (other than tires) within 5 hours drive:

Las Vegas
SF
Santa Barbara
Mammoth
San Diego
OC
Disney
Bear Mountain
Palm Springs
LA
Mojave
Mt. Whitney

Owning a Tesla was a big expense (relatively) early in my life. I've cut down on air travel and we spend time on the journey rather than at the destination. My pocketbook is FULLER and my quality of life is better.

That's the richness that matters.

SCCRENDO | 23 februari 2017

@Samo +100

RedShift | 23 februari 2017

@bighorn

"I didn't get in there fast enough that the dog food wasn't for me, but it is a potential cost saving strategy after today's sell-off."

Hold on, read this first, before you scarf down dog food!

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/serena-williams-ate-gourme...

RedShift | 23 februari 2017

@bighorn, cont'd

So you were like Mad Max in the Road Warrior! :-)

rxlawdude | 23 februari 2017

@SamO

"I'm rich in family spread out all over which gives me a chance to visit them for free instead of flying.."
" I've cut down on air travel and we spend time on the journey rather than at the destination. "

Wait. So you're using the Tesla to shorten your visits with relatives? (Big :-))

Mike83 | 23 februari 2017

LOL

SCCRENDO | 23 februari 2017

@rxlawdude +1

bigd | 23 februari 2017

rxlawdude - Now that's a great reason to get a Tesla LOL +1

SamO | 23 februari 2017

I wake up 3 hours before the flight.
2 hours before, summon A Lyft to the airport.
Checkin 90 minutes early.
Body cavity search and full body X-ray. Don't forget 2oz per container.
Cram, tuna-like into seats too small for my 46" jacket.
Breath b.o. And recirculated farts for 60-70 minutes.
Unless there's a delay and there's usually a delay.
Wait for ground crew and skyway hookup while the geniuses start standing up with backpack slapping me in the face every 30 seconds.
Wait for ride or Taxi. Or hotel shuttle.
Arrive 30 minutes later.
Or go rent a car. And arrive 60-90 minutes later.
Elapsed time 4-5 hours.

Or . . .

Drive 4-5 hours charge 2 hours. Have a bite to eat. Explore. Bathroom breaks at regular intervals.

When I arrive, I'm ready to hang out, take a hike, shop. Rather than take a nap.

The *slightly* shorter time with family is better time. And usually includes a Supercharger initiation for first timers. 8 family members have Model 3 reservations and more have expressed interest.

rxlawdude | 23 februari 2017

@SamO, I was just jerking your chain in good fun.

trx430ex | 23 februari 2017

Seems like reed_lewis is the only one doing math, if one gets up into high voltage I believe one gets into wholesale rates for energy, may vary state to state.
If one taps high voltage it is only 25 feet of cable and a step down transformer mounted on a public pole to get to the car. By far the cheapest solution & most powerful of any supercharger.
70 amps is nothing, let's keep going.

The only thing we have to get more powerful than,, is a single gallon of gasoline.
120 volt @70 amp,,[meh]
220 volt @70 amp,, [most probable]
480 volts @70 amp [well that gets past a gallon]
Energy managent, everything in your life you charge, times that by a thousand.

Which would one like to apply,a $8 dollar fill up in high volatage, or a $28 dollar fill up after the step down transformer. All credit cards accepted.