Forums

"Spaceship Steering"

"Spaceship Steering"

With Elon reiterating again that the absence of a console display would not impact the user experience it left me wondering what that could be. Normally I would be very suspect when it comes to claims like this but Elon has a history of overdelivering on expectations, so I'm inclined to consider what he could mean by "spaceship steering".

The possibility I'm entertaining is that the steering wheel itself will have a number of displays and options for functionality. Think, steering wheel with an interactive touch display built in. This is something that has never been done before and I think it would satisfy those looking for information in the dash.

Anyone else have an idea of what could be in store?

Ross1 | 31 mars 2017

Real spacecraft are holograms with Artificial Intelligence, so that the donor traveller never leaves his harem.

dd.micsol | 31 mars 2017

Elon's reference to spaceship steering-is no steering wheel. AP. He said, when in a taxi do you drive? That's where Tesla is headed. I get confused because I thought AP was extra-is it standard now?!

akgolf | 31 mars 2017

dd.micsol | March 31, 2017
Other considered is model S and yes I did change my order from 2 mdl 3s to 1 mdl S 100D

dd.micsol | March 31, 2017
Elon's reference to spaceship steering-is no steering wheel. AP. He said, when in a taxi do you drive? That's where Tesla is headed. I get confused because I thought AP was extra-is it standard now?!

You would think someone who just ordered a Model S would know if AP was standard.

mos6507 | 31 mars 2017

"Are you under the impression that adding another motor or a larger battery are somehow free? "

Nobody seems to have any reading comprehension these days. I said that the excuses being given that there can't be a secondary screen due to cost fall apart because Tesla will be offering expensive options like AWD and bigger battery packs on the 3. So I have no problem with omitting the secondary display on the base model, but if they can offer expensive options on the 3, then they can offer an optional secondary display.

Remember when people were predicting that the 3 would not have a ludicrous option? Musk then said it would. Tesla does not seem to care about keeping many if any options away from the 3 that are not available on S and X. The only two items are self-presenting door handles and the secondary display. And out of those, the former is a luxury, and the latter is a true ergonomic issue for some.

topher | 31 mars 2017

"but if they can offer expensive options on the 3, then they can offer an optional secondary display."

apparently your reading comprehension missed when I wrote:
"Nor is the development of such things free, so they must be carefully considered before even being offered as an option."

So I guess you are right about nobody having reading comprehension.

Thank you kindly.

dsvick | 31 mars 2017

@akgolf - "You would think someone who just ordered a Model S would know if AP was standard"

To paraphrase the "When we practice to deceive" adage ... dd can't keep his lies straight.

mos6507 | 31 mars 2017

apparently your reading comprehension missed when I wrote:
"Nor is the development of such things free, so they must be carefully considered before even being offered as an option."

Tesla is burning through cash like there's no tomorrow expanding factories. The R&D to stick a minimal LCD speedo behind the steering wheel is not going to make or break the company. That's just a lame rhetorical excuse.

SoFlaModel3 | 31 mars 2017

What's the point of a second screen if to unnecessary.

Why add a complexity for no reason?

*its not necessary

dd.micsol | 31 mars 2017

@ak-exactly my point. if you don't get ap you don't have any controls. or is that the other way around????
Fact is, only way to get the space ship controller is to buy AP which I refuse to do at this time. So space ship controls are not standard I think.

dd (aka captain liar) assumes AP is spaceship controls thus assumes if you don't have it you don't have spaceship controls.

How about you stop presenting your assumptions as fact and we wait for the final information.

As aside you ordered 2 Model S's... go bother them!

mos6507 | 31 mars 2017

"What's the point of a second screen if to unnecessary.
Why add a complexity for no reason?"

Ask Model S or X users whether it's unnecessary.

donmactesla | 31 mars 2017

Have we ever seen a steering wheel on a spaceship?

Red Sage ca us | 31 mars 2017

donmactesla: Yes. I believe 'FLASH GORDON' or 'BUCK ROGERS' serials, and probably a few episodes of both 'The OUTER LIMITS' and 'The TWILIGHT ZONE' had steering wheels. Do 'Space Pirates' and 'WALL*E' count?

TheChad | 31 mars 2017

I have personally spoken with Russell Casse and he told me a spaceships steering looks nothing like any Tesla's steering.

topher | 31 mars 2017

"The R&D to stick a minimal LCD speedo behind the steering wheel is not going to make or break the company."

Reading comprehension. Still a thing.

Thank you kindly.

SoFlaModel3 | 1 april 2017

@mos - I don't have to ask Model S or X drivers if it's unnecessary because it's no different than any ICE car. I drove my dad's Model S again last night and will say it again ... SECOND SCREEN SERVES LITTLE TO NO PURPOSE! All it does is make you feel comfortable because it's what you're used to.

Ok let's go through what the second screen offers in a Tesla today.

Tire pressure, mileage on the car/trip, analog clock, radio station, electricity consumption, current speed, speed limit, gear section, a digital clock, cars/curbs/objects around you, range/charge level, navigation, and auto pilot details.

Ok now think about how much of that you are constantly looking at. If the any of it, you are lying to yourself.

If the answer is current speed, that's a horrible reason to have a whole secondary screen setup.

The data displayed is simply irrelevant and there is no reason why it can't all be contained on one centrally mounted screen with speed in the upper left in line of sight.

This car was aimed at being simpler and one place to look for everything accomplishes that.

This is an achievement, not a step backwards.

The complaining for complaining sake because you're so blinded by what you already know being the only way to accomplish something is deafening.

Ross1 | 1 april 2017

It is always good if the same setup can be used for left hand and right hand drive.

dd.micsol | 1 april 2017

so fla man is going to be really pissed off when he finds out I am right and he is completely wrong.
Until then you're allowed to dream but when the reveal hits you square in the face-don't go crying to the internet.

KP in NPT | 1 april 2017

dd you know as much as anyone else here about the Model 3 controls - which is squaddoosh.

akgolf | 1 april 2017

Wait..wait...so dd.micsol just said SoFlaModel3 is going to be really pissed off when he finds out I am right and he is completely wrong. Until then you're allowed to dream but when the reveal hits you square in the face-don't go crying to the internet.

Didn't you just give up on the Model 3 and buy a 100 because you were pissed at everything being deleted, when in fact you and no one really knows anything.

joemar10 | 1 april 2017

Since everyone has their own favorite car dashboard, the Model 3 will have a screen from door-to-door and encompass in the entire dash which would look like whatever car you want it to look like. It will be a holographic image and you use gestures to control it like you would your favorite car. No matter who is driving, the image will display their selection.------- Or not.

@dd - please go to the Model S forum where you can pretend to have one there.

As for being upset about the car. If I was, I would go away. I love everything about this car from looks to what it stands for. Nothing is in my way.

Crying about a HUD we don't need or air conditioning vents is hilarious though.

Civicrick | 1 april 2017

If EM is monitoring these forms and hears the desires for a speedo directly in front of the driver, would it be so hard to add a 1" square digital display to read that at this point of developement? I must admit that just glancing down would appeal more to me than having to also turn my head, however slightly. Also, are there any federal regulations about speedo display placement? I cant think of ever seeing a mass produced car without a speedo in front of the driver. We have an 05 mini with the center speedo but it also has a digital speedo in front of the driver.

@Civicrick - the speedo has moved 6 inches right. It's in plain sight. It's digital. You can see it faster.

Civicrick | 1 april 2017

Nice! 6" inches from center is still in front of the driver to me

I think the whole center screen thing is overblown.

Here are some thoughts on speedometers...

1) When they are analog (most are) it takes your brain time to locate the needle, read the speed, and "think" since they usually only notate on the 10s in MPH

2) Depending upon your car, a comfortable driving position may lead to you adjusting the steering wheel to a place where it blocks some of the view of the speedometer

3) If you really take a step back and think about it. Moving it to the top left of the center screen, moves it literally no more than ~6 inches to the right and at the same relative height as the traditional speedo.

Now since we just glance at the speedo and not stare at it. This move has literally no negative impact. I suggest it may even be a split second faster, but at worst it's no different.

I take that back. There is one negative. Someone else posted it, so I can't take credit. My wife can now see current speed more easily ;)

Civicrick | 1 april 2017

Good point. I have had that problem where Im comfortable but the wheel blocks the speedo view

mos6507 | 1 april 2017

The wheel normally blocks the speedo view when turning at low speed when the speedo isn't that useful. It's cruising which is mostly a straight line when you need to see the speedo.

Civicrick | 1 april 2017

For some I guess but I love cruise control. Speaking of which, we have a '16 Outback with cruise control that works in stop and go traffic. Semi auto pilot

@mos my point was that the top right section of the speedo can be blocked at straight line cruising speeds.

It's just the point that it "can" be blocked whereas with the center screen and digital reading it will always be visible and easy.

tstolz | 1 april 2017

For sporty driving you generally use your butt to gauge speed. For everything else, I bet most pop the car into cruise .. I know I do. The value of the centre screen really isn't high .. and if it keeps costs down I bet omitting it won't be an issue. Elon is probably right ... we won't care.

EaglesPDX | 1 april 2017

up

DGDanforth | 3 april 2017

Spaceships don't have steering wheels.

I envisage hand controls down near ones legs/hips.
More like rudder controls.
Pull back right to turn right.
Pull back left to turn left.

No steering wheel to obstruct the view.

Frank99 | 3 april 2017

I hated the speedo display in my Civic when I got it - it's so unorthodox to put the speedo in a seperate pod way up the dash under the windshield. Not only was the placement weird, other drivers could easily see my speed. Of course, the tach is completely useless in an automatic transmission vehicle:
http://automobiles.honda.com/images/2008/civic-sedan/interior-gallery/ga...

After a few years, I hate the placement on my other vehicles. The Civic is so easily read (the numbers are large, there is little focus difference between the roadway and the speedo, and it requires only the smallest eye movement to see it), it makes me feel like the other vehicles are trying to make it difficult for me to read the speedo. All the arguments about speedo in the dash v. speedo in the center display sound like trivia - you're arguing about whether one difficult to read speedo is better than another difficult to read speedo.

The speedo belongs where the Civic places it. In the drivers line of view, as far forward as possible to limit focus change required. To me, it's worth buying a HUD speedo to put the speedo display exactly there.

SoFlaModel3 | 4 april 2017

@Frank99, just how often are you looking at your speedo versus just having a feel for your speed? I'd say personally it's rare that I look at the speed between just knowing my speed and/or going with the flow of traffic.

Of course different strokes for different folks and I can appreciate that for sure, but for me I'm happy not wasting space on something I really don't need. It's a split second glance at best if and when I want to see the speed.

dd.micsol | 4 april 2017

@sofla-so you're saying it's okay to look away for .25 seconds plus 3 seconds to react if you need to.
.25 seconds can be a matter of life or death in a car. It usually not the first car that hits you that kills you-it's the second one. You would know this if you raced at all in your life.

@dd that is not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that the amount of time to look down and down to the right 6 inches is the same.

Furthest, I would suggest a digital speedo on the center display is faster to read that an analog display behind the steering wheel.

DTsea | 4 april 2017

Spacecraft usually have a stick (looks like the stick in a fighter) for attitude control, modified for Z axis. The degrees of freedom on wheel/yoke/stick are as follows:

Car, boat, oxcart, horse, bicycle- yaw only
Airplane- pitch and roll (yaw is on rudder pedals)
Spacecraft- pitch, roll, and yaw

Frank99 | 4 april 2017

SoFlaModel3 -
I'm not looking at the speedo much - maybe once a minute. It acts as a feedback mechanism on the "just knowing my speed and/or going with the flow of traffic". I sometimes catch myself going 5-10 MPH faster than I expect due to emotional stress or flying with a fast group of cars - glancing down at the speed and seeing 81 when I normally go 75 is a clue that I need to pay attention to my speed. It's the same reason that I subconsciously count the number of times I change lanes on my commute - if I do so more than twice to pass a car, it's almost always due to my emotional state and on the third lane change my brain slaps me to say "Pay attention!".
Putting the speedo up in my line of sight means that I am looking at it more often, and doing a better job of going the speed I intend.

@Frank - that's definitely a fair point.

I suppose my only counter point is that down / behind the steering wheel is not line of sight. Only a HUD is going to be line of sight. Most cars don't have a HUD, so most of the time you're looking away from the road to grab your speed.

Frank99 | 4 april 2017

I agree with you - which is why I pointed out my Civic. Take a look at the image I linked. The speedo is well above the steering wheel (the top rim of the steering wheel goes just over the tach), centered dead ahead, and a long way from my head so there's little focus change. It also has a sun hood over it and has a dark background, so it's always very visible, unlike a HUD which can sometimes wash out in bright sunlight or be difficult to see with a busy background.

hsuru4u | 4 april 2017

i almost never look at my spedo in my car.I have had it a few years and know by feel what speed i am going as well as by others around me and common sense. I mean this whole thing is silly. The 3 one screen idea is the future in an ev. Simple and not complicated and streamlined. You guys seem to want the 3 to be this fast sports car decked out thing and it wont likely be.Its an entry level tesla scaled down to reach a certain pricepoint. Its will be cool and from the looks look decent for sure but why do you guys expect everything an s or x has at 1/2 the price or less? Its odd.

KP in NPT | 4 april 2017

I agree that fretting over where the speedo is is overblown. That said, I do find I reference my speed rather often in our Model S. It's very easy to be going faster than you realize because of the quick acceleration and smooth ride. The last time I got pulled over it was for that very reason - and no cars around me to gauge my speed. (He let me off with a warning.)

markr7 | 4 april 2017

@dd If you are so close to another car, that you may hit them in .25 seconds --> What the hell are you doing looking at your speedometer?

Civicrick | 4 april 2017

My mother had an 07 Civic and I liked the speedometer right up there. It just seems like such a common sense place for it.

mos6507 | 4 april 2017

"why do you guys expect everything an s or x has at 1/2 the price or less? Its odd."

Tired of this straw-manning. Adding a speedo behind the wheel would not have prevented the car from reaching its pricepoint. If it did, it would have gone over by hundreds, not thousands. I mean, do you expect the secondary display to be gold encrusted or something?

hsuru4u | 4 april 2017

It seems elon is trying to take a new approach with the 3 dash wise. its cool.

gar1116 | 5 april 2017

Heads up display right on the windshield?

Pages