Forums

Tesla in India

Tesla in India

when Tesla coming in India ? and Why tesla not Coming In India ?There is a huge scope for Tesla electric cars in India. India has lot of petrol filling stations in every Highways and Link Roads approximately after every 30 km and may be in less distance, and lots of big and small restaurants(also known as 'Dhabas'). While travelling people of India stops at this dhabas for a cup of tea and snacks. Indians do not travels long distance without breaking .You can fix or install your tesla superchargers at this petrol filling stations and at the dhabas. so people can charge the cars. and electricity charges is also low in India. It could also benefit this small restaurants as car owners pay them for charging their cars, and restaurant owners happily gives permission for your setup of superchargers. Please think on my suggestion. If you can put action on that there is a huge market for tesla in India.

Bighorn | 16 maj 2017
SamO | 16 maj 2017

Nice article.

harish.goyal.16 | 16 maj 2017

I already read time and also in tv new @ bighorn, but i want to know when it is going to happen, there no signs still.

harish.goyal.16 | 17 maj 2017

heloo @elon musk , if you want to setup a tesla electric car manufacturing unit (factory) in India. you should consider Rajasthan as there is a sun shine approximately whole year and even very hot in summer 48-50 degree Celsius. you can put your solar tiles in your complete factory to save lot of electricity.

SbMD | 17 maj 2017

This is not a turnkey enterprise, to bring Tesla (or any company) into India. There are regulatory, infrastructure, and political issues to navigate. This is a massive undertaking. Electricity in particular is not well distributed within or between cities at this time.

If sunshine were the only factor!

Al1 | 17 maj 2017

How many Tesla cars are in India today?

SbMD | 17 maj 2017

No Teslas are in India. Not aware of anyone who has had one imported. If they did, it would be news.

BTW, anyone importing a Tesla right now would pay a 100% tariff.

RedShift | 18 maj 2017

@SbMD

There are a few. In fact there are more in the smaller island nation of Sri Lanka. Also, many more charging stations, and LEAF EVs, etc. Lankans seem to be ahead of Indians in this regard.

kanwarbrar | 18 maj 2017

hi this is awesome

RedShift | 18 maj 2017

What is?

SbMD | 18 maj 2017

@Red - thanks for the correction. Couldn't locate any Teslas through registration info. My guess is that you've seen some in India yourself or know someone who has one?

RedShift | 18 maj 2017

I was searching the world for electric charging units via PlugShare app. Just one of those things you do when you have some time to kill. Found very few stations in India, a whole ton in Sri Lanka. Then I searched for images of Teslas in that region.

My interest was also due to the fact that Sri Lankan entrepreneurs produced a prototype electric super car a year or so ago. I was fascinated by the fact that people all over the world are so taken with EVs.

vp09 | 18 maj 2017

India is the most populous country in the world. After China. India has English as an official language.

SbMD | 19 maj 2017

@Red - clever idea! I couldn't see any images of Teslas in India that way except the Tag Hauer Around the World Tour from 2010. Furthermore, I was struck with the fact that there should have been media reports quoting any owners around the excitement in India over the plans for M3 coming to India, but nothing I could find (at least in English).

Maybe you have had better luck in your search?

harish.goyal.16 | 21 maj 2017

Tesla supercharging could be a business in India, which create a lot of self-employment in India, Tesla can provide franchise outlets to people having land on highways and on fuel stations. This could help company in spreading there supercharges, company had not to instal them freely, just charge for your superchargers stations from whom, who want to get a franchise. Franchise owners takes a fixed charges for charging the car. Install supercharging stations just like fuel station.
from- Harish Talwaria, India
(+918901543300)

SbMD | 23 maj 2017

@harish - It would require a major upgrade to the electrical infrastructure for supercharging. As you may know, a number of companies (and even smaller businesses) in India have had to resort to having backup power generation as the grid is not reliable, even in urban areas.

@BH - good article. The Indian Govt. responded impressively fast. Turns out the Make In India requirement doesn't apply:

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Industry/no-local-sourcing-needed-for-m...

SbMD | 23 maj 2017

@harish - follow-up point: having the business of charging infrastructure is not a bad idea, but the reliability of powering them is the issue.

222 | 23 maj 2017

That's the good power of the internet.
Two tweets, two online articles, in two days ..... and now we're back on track for Tesla to possibly open in the largest democratic country in the world.

Elon, does this change things?

SbMD | 23 maj 2017

@222 - indeed!

Here's a more complete article than the one I posted before, on the Make in India and Tesla:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/613251/no-local-sourcing-needed-make...

RedShift | 23 maj 2017

@SbMD

That's a good piece of info. I am glad India is moving fast to get Tesla in. Except for the unstable electric grid, everything else is ripe for Tesla to make inroads into the vast Indian market. There are plenty of well to do folks to make it a worthwhile market to pursue. It also has some of the highest capacity of wind and solar that I have seen.

SbMD | 24 maj 2017

@Red - my pleasure.

This is also an interesting overview with implications for Tesla.

https://www.ibef.org/industry/manufacturing-sector-india.aspx

If I were Tesla, Bengaluru would be the smartest place to have Tesla manufacturing and HQ in India. Although congested, the outskirts are relative accessible by roads and there is land to be developed. It is a sprawling city, but also one with a great deal of expertise in technology.

Second place site would be Hyderabad. Bangaluru is better for a number of reasons but it seems that there is a lot of interest in Hyderabad to bring such industries to the country.

Just my opinion based on the data and having been to many places in the country for various reasons.

RedShift | 24 maj 2017

Going to an undeveloped region (land will be cheaper) but with good rail connectivity is what I would look for. Indian railway system is vast and fairly decent compared to roads.

Being nearer to a port would be second priority.

SbMD | 24 maj 2017

Good point, @Red. Although the roadways between a number of the major cities have improved drastically, including Bengaluru and Hyderabad. I would imagine Chennai would also be on the short list for the combination of favorable factors, but they some serious infrastructure issues which were partially unmasked with the floods a couple of years ago. Ask me how I know...

SbMD | 24 maj 2017

Figuring out the supply chain will be very important as to where is the most favorable place for manufacturing and distribution will be.

harish.goyal.16 | 30 maj 2017

In INDIAN CITY RAIPUR, a fleet of electricity cars is run by ola cabs. they built 4 big charging station accross the cities , you can also think like this.

SbMD | 30 maj 2017

@harish - yes, that is a good step forward, but it does not mean that India is ready to go forward with a deployment like in the US or Europe. The cars being used in the pilot program are Mahindra e2o's. These are truly suited for in-city, short range driving. The range is 75 miles and a full charge takes 5 hours on a 220v/15A setup. The rapid charging solution can charge at 12kW which brings this to under an hour for full charge.

In comparison, the Superchargers for Tesla currently run at 125kW and in some cases 145kW. Hence, the charging infrastructure for the e2o's very short range is less taxing than that for Superchargers, and such vehicles with their charging infrastructure are not a good use case comparison. Again, it is a good start but here is where India should be thinking about the future and have the following:

1) better electricity generation; they are currently underpowered as a country. They have also declined cleaner sources of energy generation for "clean coal" solutions. I don't want to muddy the discussion as to what power sources are best or cleaner, but suffice to say that solar would be a good option in India for electricity generation among others.
2) better distribution infrastructure to suppprt not just EVs but the general needs of then power grid
3) forward thinking in EV charging infrastructure to support high power charging solutions. Don't deploy a lesser solution to meet the needs for now, but think about the future.