Forums

Model S glass roof too hot to drive around

Model S glass roof too hot to drive around

I traded my 2014 Model S for a 2017. I wanted to upgrade the auto pilot features but the newer Model S only comes with glass roof. I gave up my metal roof after having consulted with a few people who had no problems in our hot city of Houston. My new roof is steaming in the hot weather, I had a 130 F read from inside the car. Has anyone run into this kind of problem with glass roof Teslas anywhere in the US? I already have installed a ceramic film but it is not getting much better. Any ideas? BTW I took it to the Westchase Service center and they were not helpful at all. I was told to turn on the preconditioning feature and that this is the new Model S for all of the US. Not sure this is going to work in Texas. I am hoping to find a solution because otherwise I will have to sell the car and get something with a real roof. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

egrunime | 21 juli 2017

I traded my 2014 Model S for a 2017. I wanted to upgrade the auto pilot features but the newer Model S only comes with glass roof. I gave up my metal roof after having consulted with a few people who had no problems in our hot city of Houston. My new roof is steaming in the hot weather, I had a 130 F read from inside the car. Has anyone run into this kind of problem with glass roof Teslas anywhere in the US? I already have installed a ceramic film but it is not getting much better. Any ideas? BTW I took it to the Westchase Service center and they were not helpful at all. I was told to turn on the preconditioning feature and that this is the new Model S for all of the US. Not sure this is going to work in Texas. I am hoping to find a solution because otherwise I will have to sell the car and get something with a real roof. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jeff A | 21 juli 2017

I use to live in Texas, live in Portland OR now, where the sun is not nearly so strong -- even here, the glass gets hot. It takes a good 10 minutes of driving and passing air over the top (and AC on in the inside) before it cools down enough to touch, during that 5-10 mins, I can feel the radiant heat :) .... cannot imagine what it would be like in Houston. I would suggest some heat shields during the summer months.

Earl and Nagin ... | 21 juli 2017

130F inside sounds about normal for any car left out in the sun, even with a metal roof.

pbenson7375 | 21 juli 2017

What's wrong with turning on the air conditioning about 10 minutes before you want to drive it?? The battery certainly can handle it. I do that all the time when I just about finished playing golf. Works like a charm and car is down to 70 -r 72 degrees when I get into it. Try it. Certainly no reason to give up a great car, when there is an easy way to handle it. Set a reminder on your phone, to turn on the air about 10 minutes before you want to drive.

croman | 21 juli 2017

Turn on cabin overheat to keep it 105f or below. Didn't use that much so far for me in Chicago. Texas is hotter but I find the windshield and windows generate far far more heat than glass roof.

johnson.todd.r | 21 juli 2017

Definitely turn on the cabin overheat protection. I noticed that mine did not work two days ago and that the tem was up to 125, so I turned off the feature and turned it back on. With it on, my interior never gets above 105 while sitting in full sun in Houston. That's with the glass roof. I always turn on the AC when I'm approaching the car, so it is cool by the time I get in. I also use a sunscreen for the front windshield if I'm leaving the car for more than a few minutes.

MSMS75D | 21 juli 2017

We live in Dallas. The glass only roof option is our main hold up for buying the Model-S! Hope they bring back the solid-roof or have some kind of motorized retractable shades soon.

barrykmd | 21 juli 2017

I've been unable to drive around my glass roof. it follows me whenever I drive the car.

On a serious note, I have a glass rood in Colorado, where the sun is very bright and hot. There is no issue with the glass roof.

ST70 | 21 juli 2017

Glass roof with temp at 108...car was cycling the A/C...observed from the app that the car was cycling between 107 and 99...friends were amazed that my glass roof doesn't feel like a traditional sunroof

Dramsey | 21 juli 2017

It has not been an issue for me here in 100+ degree days in Reno. I simply use the app to turn on the AC a few minutes before going out to the car and the interior temp drops from 110 to 75 in 5 minutes or so.

Tropopause | 21 juli 2017

Don't touch the hot glass. Enable Cabin O/Heat, use precondition. That's why Tesla gives us these tech functions. Regardless of metal or glass, a car will get hot sitting in the hot sun. However, I wish Tesla still offered the metal roof for those who desire it

donlen.k.ruffin | 21 juli 2017

Live in Fort Worth, had MS for 18 months (2summers). Like the others say, just turn on AC while walking to car, it will be comfortable even after sitting in open sun all day. Use the phone app of course. Enjoy!

rdr1rx | 21 juli 2017
AmineTx | 22 juli 2017

I live in Dallas and I always have preconditioning on. I have not gotten any complaints from friends that ride in it.

MSMS75D | 22 juli 2017

rdr1rx - Thank you for letting me know the all-glass roof shade is now available. I must not have checked the Tesla shop in the last couple of weeks :-)

I guess I will placing the order soon now!

Bill_75D | 22 juli 2017

HeatShield makes a 2 piece shade for the all glass roof for $40. I have one and am very happy with it.

MSMS75D | 22 juli 2017

Bill_75D - Are the shades meant to be used only while parked? or are they designed to be used as a permanent fixture while driving around as well? HeatShield website does not seem to have any photos of this product.

Bill_75D | 22 juli 2017

They stay installed until you remove them. Held in place by suction cups. I put mine in about 6 weeks ago and will remove around the end of September (I'm in AZ). Available in black or white, depending on your headliner color.

Bill_75D | 22 juli 2017

The all glass shade looks just like the one silver posted, except for the bar in the middle. The 2 pieces fit next to each other without a gap.

Silver2K | 22 juli 2017

they have them here also. not sure if its the same product

https://evannex.com/products/heatshield-custom-gold-series-sunshade

Bill_75D | 22 juli 2017

Same product, but Evannex marks them up $20. I ordered direct from HeatShield and got free shipping because I ordered the windshield shade at the same time.

MSMS75D | 22 juli 2017

Bill_75D, SilverP85plus - Thank you.

75drew43 | 7 september 2017

Is a heat shield really necessary for the roof? A guy at the service center recommended it too, but I found this quote on engadget

"Tesla claims their tinted glass blocks 98 percent of UV rays and 81 percent of heat". Not sure there is much to gain from more tinting. I notice a huge difference in my other cars when adding tinting to the side windows that's probably where most of the heat is coming in?

frankben | 7 september 2017

Live in Las Vegas and temps hit 115 almost daily for the last several months. Never touch the glass but the car is very cool especially when I turn climate control 10 minutes before I get into it. I had company here last week and they couldn't believe I could completely cool the car down before we got in it. I thought about buying the roof screen, but it makes no sense for me.

TeslaKU | 7 september 2017

Dallas, TX - glass roof - white seats - no issues (no heat shield, no preconditioning, factory glass with no extra tint, just jump in car and go after car is sitting outside for hours)

mm7nyy | 7 september 2017

Nope, have to disagree. This is my second summer without any problem. In fact before I got delivery of my S I was considering buying the sun shields for the roof, my wife has commented a few times "good think you didn't order the sun screens" and I agreed with her.

When I put my hand against the glass on a sunny day I can barely feel anything which means the sun is being blocked.

McFunkerson | 7 september 2017

I live in the Phoenix Valley, it gets to be 120 outside in the summer here. One of the first things I did was tint the windows, 5% in the back and 30% in the front with Huper Optik brand tint gives me 70-75% heat rejection in the tinted windows. If I end up parking somewhere that isn't covered/shades I use a window shade in the front. I haven't noticed my car being any hotter than other cars I've had with metal roofs, which is good because I haven't been able to get into the habit of turning on the AC when I'm on the way to the car.

ThSun | 7 september 2017

McFunkerson- did you tint the glass roof?

sr.smr | 8 september 2017

I have the preconditioning feature turned on, but never hear a fan when entering the parked car in the sun. Is that normal? I'm going to place a thermometer in the car just to check.

TeslaKU | 8 september 2017

@SR.SMR - I don't use the preconditioning because I don't work in an office job nor do I work on a schedule. I believe if you work 8 to 6 on weekdays, the car learns your schedule and preconditions the car for your arrival. Someone who uses it may be able to give more details.

I repeat, the glass roof with a light interior is just fine even on a hot day in Texas. The black interior may be a different situation.

reed_lewis | 8 september 2017

Every single car I have owned has gotten very hot inside in the sun. It is something that just happens. I do not find the Tesla to be any hotter than any other car I have owned.

But the Tesla has the overheat protection capability, and the ability to turn on the A/C from the app before you drive. That makes all the difference.

lilbean | 23 oktober 2017

I'm driving a Model S loaner today with the glass roof and black cloth interior. The glass tinting is dark. I even forgot it was all glass. There are no issues with the car feeling too hot.

justintiime | 25 oktober 2017

turn on the ac 15 minutes before leaving, and stop touching the roof. Problem solved. enjoy the tesla.

justintiime | 25 oktober 2017

turn on the ac 15 minutes before leaving, and stop touching the roof. Problem solved. enjoy the tesla.

ScottyNeutron | 25 oktober 2017

I'm in the San Fernando Valley north of Los Angeles. Plenty of 100+ degree days. When I added 3M Crystalline and got a good sunshade, most of my cabin overheating problems went away. I will say however, that my friend's metal roof car stays a few degrees cooler when left out in the sun.

Sounds like you've done the right thing by tinting your roof glass. I would make sure you always use your windshiels shade too, and then pre-condition as suggested above.

Ohmster | 25 oktober 2017

@ScottyNeutron, we are almost neighbors. I’m in TO/Ventura. Been scoping shades online, which one did you get?

Just added 35% Ceramic Tinting. Looks hot. Keeps cabin cool. :)

Lush1 | 26 oktober 2017

I haven't been paying attention and I'm sad to learn the solid roof is history, I think that is a mistake. To me, the solid roof looks better. Plus, it can't leak, squeak, malfunction, etc.

Most of all, I have never liked any heat or light coming in from above my head in any car. Just my personal preference, I find the light annoying at times and I am very sensitive to temperature. I'm fine at 70-72º, but uncomfortable at 74º. I have a special cool vest I wear when it is hot or I am working hard, even in a cool room. I realize I'm unusual in that way, but not everybody likes sunroofs, moonroofs, pano roofs, etc.

Parenthetically, I really resent it when car makers bundle items some buyers don't want in order to get things they do want. Glad I don't want satellite radio. I would really hate paying 2 grand for a sunroof instead of the standard pano, (which I really don't want either), just to have Sirius/XM, That sucks. But that is the way of the world these days I suppose. .

I'm left wondering if eliminating the solid roof keeps the price down due to production efficiency, or raises the price by making a complex part standard equipment? Seems unlikely nixing the solid roof saves buyers money.

Also, do the glass roofs close when you exit? If not, do they close if it rains. The thought of sudden shower with an open roof would be a huge deterrent for me, even without my many other gripes.

Sorry to be a bummer. Even if it could block 100% of UV, heat AND light, I would hate it. But that's me. I know many people love the pano roof and more power to you all. I get why you do, but different strokes for different folks.

SO | 27 oktober 2017

Well I guess Tesla could see the numbers of who ordered what, and they determined it wasn’t worth keeping the solid roof. That may change again in the future but who knows?

JayInJapan | 27 oktober 2017

Solid roof for me, please.

Silver2K | 27 oktober 2017

2 MS, 2 pano roofs, both tinted, both not hot inside.

babyjocko | 27 oktober 2017

All you should have to do is tint the windows, including 70+ on the windshield. To me, the glass roof does not appear to help generate more heat -- negligible at best. I have not compared this with a solid roof MS. But, I have had a zillion cars in my life and compared it with those.

I live in Atlanta. Not quite as hot as Houston, but it gets up there.

But, based on your (OP) initial post, it sounds like you should probably sell the car if you can't tolerate whatever heating you perceive.

2014 | 1 november 2017

I live in Scottsdale and during the hot summer months I put a foil insulated panel under the glass roof. The polyester and foam insulation is easy to cut and fit and it tucks into the space between the glass and the ceiling panels.

Chillviper | 2 november 2017

Had a loaner MX a couple of weeks ago and it was like driving around in a greenhouse. I definitely enjoy my metal roofed MS better. Too bad it's no longer available. I'll have to pick up a late model CPO soon.

UBQP | 2 november 2017

Hot in the summer, cold in the winter?

Haggy | 2 november 2017

"turn on the ac 15 minutes before leaving, and stop touching the roof. Problem solved. enjoy the tesla."

I rarely remember to do that, but the last time I did was on a 100+ degree F day, and it took less than 10 minutes for the car to get down to a comfortable temperature. The car won't go above 105 to begin with if it's set that way so it won't take all that long to cool down.

Dreamship | 2 november 2017

We went on a road trip from Dallas to San Marcos in August. It was HOT outside. It was nice inside the car. And when we were parked outside, cabin-overheat protection worked exactly as designed. I love the glass roof.

david | 9 april 2018

The energy needed for preconditioning, seems a little ironic in a car designed to help the environment. I’ve been thinking about a Tesla, but the expansive glass roof area has been a real worry for me. I would have thought a solid roof option a far more elegant and environment friendly solution in hotter climes.

bp | 9 april 2018

I've had a Tesla with a glass sunroof in Texas since early 2013.

Especially after Tesla added overheat protection - the heat of the glass roof and interior isn't a problem.

Plus, if you an remember to use the smartphone app to turn on the A/C a few minutes before you get to the car, by the time you get there, everything will be cooled down.

Before there were many Tesla cars around, when getting back to my car one time, there were several people standing next to it. They didn't realize it was an electric car - and heard the A/C running inside the car, and were trying to figure out if there was any way to "turn off the engine" or contact the owner, to let them know we'd left the car engine running...

As for being concerned about glass vs. metal roof, once a car has been sitting in the sun for an extended period, it's unlikely there will be much different with the interior temperature between the two. Tesla provides quite a bit of solar protection in the roof glass, and we haven't noticed it any different than our previous ICEs with metal roofs.

Silver2K | 9 april 2018

The glass is ultraviolet and infrared (for heat) reflective.
metal roofs absorb heat and transfer it to the cabin.

https://electrek.co/2016/11/07/first-look-tesla-new-model-3-like-glass-r...

Pages