Forums

L6-30 charging option?

L6-30 charging option?

We are unable to install a 50 amp charger due to limitations in our two electric panels. The Tesla authorized electrician came last week and installed an L6-30 outlet for which I don't see any available adapters.

I've called them but unfortunately didn't see it until today and they won't be open until next week. Just incredibly frustrated and wondering if anyone has used this type of outlet for charging.

tes-s | 22 juli 2017
tes-s | 22 juli 2017

With that adapter, you would have to dial-back the charge current - no more than 24a on a 30a circuit.

You might want to have them put in a 14-30 outlet, and that way you could use the Tesla UMC adapter.
https://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/produ...

With the Tesla adapter, the max current would be set automatically.

Bill_75D | 22 juli 2017

It doesn't seem that being "Tesla authorized" means much. L6-30 is a plug for a welder. What a moron.

p.c.mcavoy | 22 juli 2017

I would agree with @tes-s that the best option would be to get the receptical swapped out for a 14-30 outlet. It would seem that shouldn't be a big deal given the wiring to the panel is already run. I'd call your electrician back and challenge them about doing this for you given Tesla UMC does not support an L6-30 outlet.

tes-s | 22 juli 2017

The only problem could be that the 14-30 requires a neutral wire that they probably did not run for the L6-30. No electrician would wire a 14-30 without a neutral.

Bill_75D | 22 juli 2017

If they didn't run 10/3 w/ground copper romex then you could use the Tesla wall charger. It doesn't require a neutral.

Rocky_H | 24 juli 2017

"The Tesla authorized electrician came last week and installed an L6-30 outlet "

Electricians don't just show up at my house and install things that I don't know about or ask for. How did this just happen? Ask why they just picked some random outlet type to install without consulting with you, the homeowner.

Yeah, if there is already wire run in walls or conduit, it will be lacking the neutral wire, so you can't replace it with a 14-30. You have a couple of decent options:
Make an adapter pigtail from the L6-30 plug to a 14-30 receptacle that your Tesla can plug into. That will properly manage the current level.
Or, just get a Tesla wall connector installed instead of that outlet. The wiring and breaker are fine, and you can set the wall connector for a 30A circuit.

SUN 2 DRV | 24 juli 2017

I agree with the last part of what Rocky said.

This is yet another set of problems that could have been avoided by installing a HPWC instead. ($550)

Rocky_H | 24 juli 2017

Hmm, interesting. The Tesla 10-30 adapter is available in the store again. It's still a little tricky, because a 6 series outlet has hot1, hot2, and ground wires. A 10 series outlet is ungrounded and has hot1, hot2, and neutral. NEC does not allow installation of new 10 series outlets anymore--only maintenance on existing ones. So you would not technically be allowed to change that L6-30 to a 10-30 to use the native Tesla adapter.

I agree with @SUN that having an adapter to another adapter is something you can do if you are at some infrequent place where you need to use an outlet that is there--fine to be prepared. But it's a little clumsy and probably isn't a good idea for your permanent daily at home charging situation.

charles.p.hall | 12 juni 2018

Mom2ASkater, how did you finally resolve this? I have the same situation.

tes-s | 12 juni 2018

This thread is from a year ago, so don't expect a reply from the OP, but all the suggestions are still valid.

home | 21 maj 2019

I was honestly considering buying a 10-30 adapter and chopping it to put an $8 L6-30 end on it, seems that's what evsp.. does. That would end up costing you ~$40 + 8 & some time. vs $85. Of course you risk wiring it up incorrectly. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Another option is to buy a l6-30p (prong aka male) to 10-30r (receptacle / female). Like this one for $50 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/L6-30P-3-PRONG-TWIST-LOCK-PLUG-250-Volt-to-10-3...) of course you'll still need the 10-30 from Tesla for another $40, but that way you end up with adapters for 2 different plugs. Which gives you more options for charging overall.

home | 21 maj 2019

Regarding my first comment, I found some more information about making a converter.

"...Mark Rudholm on November 25, 2018 at 3:10 pm
The L6-30 and 10-30 are both three conductor, but the L6-30 provides Ground. The L6-30 does not provide Neutral. The 10-30 provides Neutral but not Ground. So the L6-30 is arguably safer since Ground is present...."

https://www.clippercreek.com/does-clippercreek-offer-an-evse-that-can-pl...