Forums

Model 3 or Model S?

Model 3 or Model S?

Greetings folks-long time car enthusiast who is new to the electric car market. Currently have a 911 for fun and a WRX that I daily. Took a test drive in a Model S 75D today and I must say...WOW! I am impressed. Only thing I don't like is the size...its huge! Seeming as it is only me, I would prefer a smaller daily. However, I was dumb and didn't make a reservation in 2016, because I wasn't in the market for a car. Looking at the timeline, soonest I can get a Model 3 would be Jan 2019. Since I just leased the WRX in April, timeline isn't too undoable. My concern is how "un-luxury" will the Model 3 be? I'm thinking perfect car for me would be Long range all wheel drive Model 3 with the vegan white interior, premium package, enhanced auto-pilot, and 19'' wheels. But how much of a step down in luxury feel would it be from a S?

carlk | 18 augusti 2017

I own both S and X and saw a 3 for the first time a couple days ago. My feeling in one sentence is the 3 is very nice but my 14' S still feels more upscale. And my 16' X with ultrawhite interior is even more so. That said I don't think I will have any issues with the 3 it's a really nice car. FWIW the car I owned before the S was a Cayman S. Size of the S did concern me a bit but I soon got used to it after a few days with the car.

mntlvr23 | 18 augusti 2017

You will have plenty of time to fully inspect each of the models before your lease runs up

KP in NPT | 18 augusti 2017

i have an S70D and am getting a 3. So are you saying you'd be waiting until your lease is up before buying either? If so, I'd get on the list for the 3 now - you'll be able to test drive it before you have to make a decision.

Honestly both cars are great. IMO the premium interior of the 3 is "currently* as good if not better than the S, because as of now the S does not have door pockets, coat hooks, and based on what I have seen, the ergonomics of the center console seem better on the 3. (Our S, the 70D, has no console at all - which I actually love.) I am expecting changes to the S interior will come relatively soon, however.

If the display behind the steering wheel is important to you, then the S wins there. Personally I think the low dash and views afforded by the lack of second screen are a plus for the 3 - but you'll have to drive/ride in one to know for yourself.

The 3 wins with range for price IMO.

JMobs | 18 augusti 2017

Or I could just sell the car outright and pay the difference to get one NOW! Lol.

JMobs | 18 augusti 2017

@KP I don't have to wait until the lease is up...I could sell the car and pay whatever difference, if any. One good thing about the WRX is that they hold their value fairly well.

Good point on the interior and range.

Ha yeah you could do that. ;)

Or buy a CPO Tesla, trade it in for a 3 or a newer tesla when your number comes up. ;)

rajalucy | 18 augusti 2017

sell 911 buy model s keep wrx and make wrx stage 2 +

JMobs | 18 augusti 2017

@rajalucy the 911 is my first born. The only way I'm getting rid of that is over my dead body haha.

Plus, I don't like modding cars. They cost to much to have to spend more on to make them desirable.

burdogg | 18 augusti 2017

JMobs - I have heard others keep their 911 when they got an S, and the 911 just collected dust :)

I think great advice so far - you have time to see what the 3 has to offer in person - right now, we are all guessing for you :) I have a 70D S (Yes KP, I know, you beat me to getting it first :) and a 90D X. Love them both - but I dont' have a problem with size, never had a small car (unless you count a Nissan Altima as small :)

If you are really anxious to get one, you could go CPO route, place a reservation now for the 3, and then when time comes for the 3 - you would know if you like the S, just cancel and get your reservation money back. If you wish the S were smaller, you at least get to enjoy the car until the 3 is ready.

I love driving mine every day - so it just depends on if you really want to be driving one right now or if you can wait :)

I say just get both. ;-)

JMobs | 18 augusti 2017

@burdogg very good points. My 911 already collects dust...only has 12K miles on it and its 7 years old. But its my baby...lol. Crazy, I know.

@KP, you are definitely the evil voice inside my head..haha. All good points though.

I admit I'm biased re: the 3 since it's going to be "my" car and I'm excited about it. But I rode in it at the delivery party - and I think everything coming from tesla pumping the S over the 3 is anti-sell. The interior feels as big as our Model S. (I'm a small woman, but it still feels just as big.) The numbers show that to be true. It is as fast as our 70D, which is going to be a blast in a smaller car, because our car is plenty fast. (current 75Ds are faster - I'm just basing on my experience with our car.) I absolutely love the low dash and glass roof. (we have the pano.) The cabin feels like an atrium. I'm sure new S's feel similar because of the roof, but it lacks the low dash. IMO they made the 3 TOO GOOD for their own good. ;)

yes, the S is bigger, has more storage, has an integrated main display and a second screen. But if the size isn't something you're into, and if you are ok with the minimalist dash and single (floating) screen - then a fully loaded 3 (minus Performance, and even if you wait for AWD) is still cheaper than a base 75D. The 75D does have the HEPA air filtration - but that makes zero difference to me.

burdogg | 18 augusti 2017

Did I mention that waiting is the hardest thing??? I mean, the moment I put down my deposit for the S, it felt like some hit pause on life and it would not move forward. A year later, it felt the same way with the X!

One thing to think - is speed a huge deal for you? Does 1 second faster 0-60 matter? (For me, I don't think at all, my 70D at 5.2 is plenty fast, and truth be told, in my S, the 5.2 "feels" faster than my 4.8 X? go figure). If that speed does matter to you - then an S is going to be your best bet - at least for now - we don't know anything about performance 3's yet.

krissu | 18 augusti 2017

911 driven little does not collect only dust, but also value!

klufkee | 19 augusti 2017

Like a fool I have accepted an invitation for a test drive next Thursday, only I'll be looking at the X. The 3 is still in the future no matter what as I do prefer commuting in a smaller car. (Just about 100 miles each weekday. Half highway half country roads.)

Honestly hope I'm not too terribly tempted but we'll see how it goes. Either way my 'baby', the 64 Thunderbird that sits unfinished in my garage will likely continue to gather dust.

carlk | 19 augusti 2017

Model S and Model 3 are somewhat interchangeable but not the Model X. For people who like SUV, and there are a lot of them nowadays, there is no substitute for the Model X. One good thing about it is you won't have the guilty feeling like you would when you're driving a gas guzzling ICE SUV. That is of course you care about things like that.

burdogg | 19 augusti 2017

Good luck klufkee :)

Redmiata98 | 19 augusti 2017

Klufkee: STOP, DO NOT TAKE THE TEST DRIVE or you will end up buying one. Tesla should post these warnings along with the test drive offers.

Carl Thompson | 19 augusti 2017

@carlk:
"One good thing about it is you won't have the guilty feeling like you would when you're driving a gas guzzling ICE SUV."

We'll know EVs have arrived when people are made to feel guilty for driving an electricity-guzzling Model X or Model S. A Model 3, Hyundai Ioniq EV, BMW i3 or Chevy Bolt is far more efficient and at some point the eco-snobs will start criticizing people who drive less efficient EVs just as you're doing now with ICE vehicles.

Carl

carlk | 19 augusti 2017

@Carl Thompson

Not so. One of the greatest advantages of EV is there is relatively small penalty of energy consumption from weight and power of the car. Do you know that small and slow Leaf only has a small advantage (~20%) in overall eMPG over the heavy and powerful ludicrous Model S? Try that for an ICE car! The two actually are even closer in highway cruising efficiency because that is mostly determined by air drag and rolling resistance. You only need to provide energy to combat these two not weight of the car.

That's not the case for ICE cars. The engine has to be designed for the worse case senario. A big and heavy car with acceptable maximum acceleration needs to have a large and more powerful engine that will always consume large amount of fuel even when cruising or at idling. That's why a large ICE SUV will consume twice as much energy, or even more, as a compact ICE car whereas an electric SUV would only a small fraction more than a smaller EV. That's a huge difference. That small amount of of extra energy consumption is very acceptable considering that large EV could also carry more passengers and cargo than a smaller one.

We'll know that EV's have arrived when people no longer have the energy "guzzling" concept anymore.

rxlawdude | 19 augusti 2017

It's the battle of the @carls. Popcorn being popped now. :-)

@carlk

The Model X is 92 MPGe (90 MPGe city). The Hyundai Ioniq EV is 136 MPGe (150 MPGe city). The Hyundai is 67% more efficient around town where most driving occurs. That is a huge difference-- similar to the difference between an ICE vehicle that only gets 18 MPG and one that gets 30. The Model 3 will likely be close to the Ioniq in efficiency. So there is a real and significant difference even if you care not to admit it.

Carl

deemo | 19 augusti 2017

Our S S75D gets within about 10% of our Leaf per Kw in real use. The Leaf gets 3.8 Mi/Kw (average over 8K mi) and the S gets 295 watt/mi or 3.4 Mi/Kw (average over 12.5K mi usage). Part of the difference is the Tesla has 3x more Highway miles than the Leaf, which makes the gap bigger, and unlike ICE cars, EVs do worse on highway than in city. If they were both in same usage, the gap would be smaller between the 2 and the Tesla has more range, power and room.

carlk | 19 augusti 2017

rxlawdude

Sorry I'm afraid that I am going to disappiont you. I have decided my monolog is good enougt to explain the situation well I don't need to go into a political debate this time around.

rxlawdude | 19 augusti 2017

@carlk, :-)

@deemo , @carlk

Of course the Model S compares reasonably to another relatively low efficiency car like the Leaf. I'm just saying it doesn't fare as well when compared to higher efficiency cars like the Ioniq, i3, Bolt and Model 3.

That said almost any EV is far better from an efficiency standpoint than almost any ICE vehicle. (But not always. I did the math and found that the Prius or Ioniq hybrid can actually cost less to operate from a fuel / electricity standpoint than the S or X in some areas of a high electricity cost state like CA.)

I'm just saying when EVs are more mainstream consumers and manufacturers will naturally start to look for differences among them. Instead of "all EVs are great" it will be "some EVs are better than others" when it comes to efficiency.

Carl

Mr.Tesla | 19 augusti 2017

An easy retort to the accusation of a "Big, electron guzzling SUV like the Model X" will be:

"I charge it with 100% solar at my home. Suck it, dilweed!"

@Mr.Tesla

That's a good point (I myself drive for free because of my solar panels). But the counter-argument could be made that if you were using less of the solar energy you produce on your car more of it would be available for others in your neighborhood and thus the utility company could burn less coal / oil / gas / whatever to generate electricity.

Carl

Mr.Tesla | 19 augusti 2017

Sure, and then the X owner would be like, "And if you would stop breathing, there would be more oxygen for non-dilweeds!" ;-)

I hardly think this will be a common refrain, except from the most annoying, anal, and nosiest of busybodies out there. They will always be doing their obnoxious dance, regardless. Handing down their holier-than-though judgement upon us peons, deciding what is best for everyone, whining, bitc*ing, and being a total bummer.

klufkee | 19 augusti 2017

So glad the conversation transitioned away from my treasonous act of agreeing to a Model X test drive.

burdogg | 19 augusti 2017

klufkee - you just got me laughing - thank you :)

I too will give you the big disclaimer - DON'T DO IT, unless you are fully prepared to DROOL over it afterward and try to come up with all the excuses why you can't get it. :)