Forums

What makes Tesla so unique as a car manufacturer?

What makes Tesla so unique as a car manufacturer?

OTA's. One of many articles about the practice plus an interesting early list.

https://electrek.co/2017/03/20/tesla-list-features-software-updates/

Coastal Cruiser. | 19 augusti 2017

I particularly love this passage:

"Several more automakers have since announced that they will make OTA updates a more important part of their customer experience. For example, Nissan teamed up with Microsoft last year to offer the service in its vehicles by the end of the decade"

Which means Nissan is doomed, sometime after the end of the decade. They picked the company with the most problematic track record for "updates" in all creation. I skip updates on my Windows computers for the reason that the updates often do more harm than good, breaking what was once working fine.

Nissan should consider adopting a motto: 'Just say NO to Microsoft'

rgrant | 19 augusti 2017

@CC +1 Once you yield control of your car to a 3rd party you are done.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 19 augusti 2017

Coastal_Cruiser: Agreed. I abandoned Microsoft in 2009. I set up my main computer to dual boot into either Windows or Ubuntu. Less than three months later, I realized I had gone at least a full month without booting into Windows at all. That's when I decided the next computer I built would be new from the ground up, and based on LINUX. It would be nice to have one of those nice, sleek, space saving, all-in-one computers with a touchscreen, but they all come with Windows 10 or whatever these days.

carlk | 19 augusti 2017

rgrant
"Once you yield control of your car to a 3rd party you are done."

That's one of reasons, if not the reason, Tesla will never put CarPlay or Andriod Auto in its cars. There is no question Apple and Google are dying to get into the auto market. This is just a way for them to put trojan horses into every car and gradually add more features to eventually take full control of the car. Those idiotic auto companies are too lazy or too imcompetent to do anything on their own they have no idea they are giving their whole business away. In a decade or two most of a car's worth will be computer and software there will not be much left for those auto companies even if they are not wiped out by Tesla already.

Coastal Cruiser. | 19 augusti 2017

Red, check out one of these. You mount it to the back of a touch screen monitor with a VESA mount and voilà; instant nice, sleek, space saving, all-in-one computer.

I've had a couple of dozen of these with solid state drives running at the local school the past 3 years. Trouble free. They will load Linux and unlike those all-in-one units you can get to everything to service the computer if need be.

amazon com/gp/product/B00IXFFD4W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ross1 | 20 augusti 2017

what is different?
The share price.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 20 augusti 2017

Coastal_Cruiser: Even without following the link, I'm pretty sure I know what that will be... I agree that such things are neat. I've already decided the next generation of PCs I build will use solid state drives and likely not have an optical drive at all. I'd just use my old PC as a media server on the local area network.

Yup! Exactly the sort of Mini-ITX enclosure I've been investigating for the past few years. I had already made the move to only Mini-ATX slim builds, and new this was the direction I would be taking in the future. Thanks for the suggestion! This website isn't updated too often, but was one of the first that I started to peruse on the subjet:

http://www.mini-itx.com/