Forums

Warranty and dirt roads....

Warranty and dirt roads....

We're waiting for our order invite, but I live in Texas and we do have dirt and gravel roads in the area. This part of the warranty gives me some pause:

This New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any vehicle damage or malfunction directly or indirectly caused by, due to or resulting from normal wear or deterioration, abuse, misuse, negligence, accident, improper maintenance, operation, storage or transport, including, but not limited to, any of the following:

• Driving off-road, over uneven, rough, damaged or hazardous surfaces, including but not limited to, curbs, potholes, unfinished
roads, debris, or other obstacles, or in competition, racing or autocross or for any other purposes for which the vehicle is not designed;

I don't think it's an issue, but thought I would check in with others. I read it to say that if I break my car by driving it somewhere or in a way that is unwise, I am on the hook for the damage. That seems fair. Not sure how it would be read -- which is in my benefit given the tenet of law that contractual ambiguity goes against the drafter, that the whole section is subservient to driving off-road, and that a regular dirt road in good condition would not be a problem.

But -- Don't know if anyone has had experience with this and Tesla's application of the warranty.

DTsea | 23 januari 2018

same as any other car. you break it you pay to fix it.

jordanrichard | 23 januari 2018

DTsea, not different than any other car warranty.

Now you there is a difference between flat gravel/dirt roads and those riddled with serious dips and holes in them.

From driving on gravel roads, all I see happening is perhaps some rattles developing. Roads with large rocks and dips in the road means the suspensions will get beat up, control arms might break is struck by a large rock at 40 mph.

Though if you were driving an ICE car, there would be a lot more potential damage.