Forums

Screen Replacement after warranty

Screen Replacement after warranty

Hello Tesla Fam,

I am waiting to get my screen replaced and was told it was back ordered, has anyone recently get it replaced? Being out of warranty and it being a brand new screen would I get like a 2 year warranty or something in case it goes out again? Screens are not cheap. lol

jordanrichard | 6 mars 2018

No, the warranty is the standard 1 yr/12,000 mile warranty. Just as every other car company.

Personally I completely disagree with this. If it is the same exact part that was put on/in the car at the factory and they were confident enough in that said part to warranty it for 4yrs/50,000 miles, then why are they not willing to back that part up with the same warranty?

Toscanodev | 6 mars 2018

they just contacted me and told me it was 2 year warranty or 24k miles. Just thought id update incase anyone else is concerned.

TheOx | 6 mars 2018

Great news. Thanks!

phat78boy | 6 mars 2018

May I ask what price you were given?

Toscanodev | 6 mars 2018

Honestly I don't have an accurate number but I believe it was average like 1k-2.5k with install, almost like buying 2 tablets or ipads

ATCRomes | 6 mars 2018

Why does your screen need replacement?

Haggy | 6 mars 2018

The battery and drive train have a separate warranty. Aside from the suspension and steering, most other things that can go wrong won't have anything to do with mileage. I don't see why Tesla has a mileage limit in general rather than a straight four years for parts that aren't subject to wear and tear from motion of the car itself. Somebody who uses the screen just as much in terms of hours but lives where traffic is heavy might get to use the screen much more under warranty.

I don't think "because everybody else does it" is a meaningful answer.

ANTHONYROSEJR | 7 mars 2018

A friend of mine just had it done. I believe it was under 1k

trevor58 | 7 mars 2018

Beat me to it, @Haggy. I agree completely. What makes any sense about a warranty for a touch screen involving 24,000 miles??

Silver2K | 7 mars 2018

if i remember correctly (i may be wrong), the $1k price is based on just replacing the LCD or board and the higher price is based on replacing the board and LCD. the older cars (correct me if I'm wrong) lcd and board are replaced as 1 and newer cars starting in 2015 (earlier?) have a separate board and screen and can be replaced separately.

TT knows best here

TeslaTap.com | 7 mars 2018

@Silver2K - Well, I don't know everything on this :)

Originally if the display went bad, Tesla replaced the entire MCU module (CPU, display, network, amplifiers, GPS, and a bit more). About a year ago they came up with a way for service to just replace the display, and the price when down dramatically. I think the MCU is $4K, and replacing only the display around $1K (from other posts - I've not priced them). There is quite a bit of labor to remove the MCU as much of the dash requires disassembly. I've done some of this work, and it is a pain. I think the MCU must be removed to replace the display (more labor). I expect the techs work a lot faster than I do, but far from a simple job.

@trevor58 & @Haggy - On warranties, time used would be a better metric for various non-mechanical components such as the display. Aircraft uses this technique, but it's a total nightmare. Every component gets an hour rating before the part must be inspected and/or replaced. There is some attempts to align timing (i.e. 100 hour inspection, 1000 hour maintenance, etc.), but if you replaced a failed part between timings it should go for the time-period of that new part, now out of sequence with other parts. It makes sense considering the safety concerns and that most big planes are multi-million dollar investments. For a car, keeping track of the records for each component in each car would be a database dream, but not very practical. So automakers just use miles for warranty and for various maintenance steps. It makes it easy to administer and easy for the consumer to understand.

SUN 2 DRV | 7 mars 2018

"So automakers just use miles for warranty and for various maintenance steps. It makes it easy to administer and easy for the consumer to understand."

And realistically there is an approximate correlation between miles driven and operational hours.

kenc_24_7 | 15 mars 2019

How about for used Tesla’s? Is the screen covered in the extended warranty?

rnt97 | 17 mars 2019

The screen in our 2014 Model S just failed for the second time in 4 months. Totally dead/black - no control for HVAC, GDO, vehicle controls, etc, etc. The first time this happened was in November. After several days of trying without success to get a service apt or even an email response, my wife just drove the car into the Sunnyvale service center and they immediately agreed to fix it and gave her a loaner car. It took them 10 days and they charged us $2501.27. Now it has failed again after less than 4 months.

TeslaTap.com | 17 mars 2019

@rnt97 - That's a pain. Check what the warranty is on replacement parts - I'd hope at least a year, and if so, they should fix the 2nd failure for free.

Bighorn | 17 mars 2019

Yes, there’s a warranty on replacement parts of at least 12 months.

day_marcos08 | 30 april 2019

I just had to replace my 2015 S70 and it is costing $2780

TeslaTap.com | 30 april 2019

@day_marcos08 - Wow, a S70 for $2780 - now that's a deal :)

sustainableS | 8 maj 2019

We just had our screen replaced May 3 on our 2013 P85 S. The screen died Apr 27 as a result we were unable to shut off the climate control for a week. Pretty annoying that Tesla does not allow you to schedule a service appointment less than 5 business days out to ensure they have the parts available for your appointment.

We had the extended service plan so we only paid the deductible. The service advisor said it would have cost $2-3k w/o the extended service agreement. With the screen replacement the modem was upgraded from 3G to 4G. Which made up for the annoyance of having to wait 30 mins for their parts guy to figure out whether they had the replacement screen when dropping off the vehicle. Took them 2 business days to complete the work.

reed_lewis | 8 maj 2019

You could have shut down the climate control using the App.

sustainableS | 8 maj 2019

@reed_lewis I was unable to shut off the climate control via the app as the car could not establish a connection, maybe why they also replaced the modem. Not sure though.

Bighorn | 8 maj 2019

I got a service appointment through my phone app with 2 days notice. Schedule shows up and I chose one of many available over the next several days and weeks.

Tropopause | 8 maj 2019

Even with my S MCU screen black and car unable to drive or connect to LTE or WiFi I was still able to use the mobile app to schedule a service appointment similar to how you can use the Model 3 mobile app to open the frunk prior to signal connection being established.

bill | 8 maj 2019

Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-7b1waoj9Q

If it is correct we will all be replacing our MCU's around the 4 year mark. Also according to the video it could easily be rectified by Tesla.

bill | 8 maj 2019

It is a long video and the information comes out toward the end of the video.

I have Tweeted Elon because I am sure if he knew this and the video is correct he would do something about this.

Mathew98 | 9 maj 2019

Say what? I have had mine for 6 years and didn't have any issues with my MCU aside from the occasional screen reboot. Who is spreading rumors again?

Tldickerson | 9 maj 2019

I saw that the other day. It had me wondering too what will Telsa do if anything!

TeslaTap.com | 9 maj 2019

I agree with Phil/Ingineerix (in the video) as far as the failure mode. Flash memory have a finite life, and how the OS writes to them is fairly important to control the life of the device. There are multiple flash drives throughout the car, although most are used in a read-only mode except for the rare updates. Those that are written to often are the ones at risk of early life failure. Some of this could be improved by a better software design, which is what Phil is talking about.

As to life with the current design, it has little to do with calendar time, and everything to do with hours the car is in use, but thai is not well tracked. Mileage is a rough guide, but someone that drives around town, puts more hours on the car per mile driven, than someone who mostly drives on the freeway.

So, when will the OS flash memory wear out? My guess is for the average driver, perhaps 8-10 years. There will be the 1% ers (not in wealth), that might not make it 4 years. And there will be others than may go 20 years or more without failure.

Without knowing everything being written, and the frequency of those writes, It's hard to estimate if Tesla can actually make a software improvement that would significantly extend the life of the OS flash memory. It's very possible that the change Phil suggests might have little effect to life if the log is a small percent of what's being written. It's a good guess that getting rid of the Linux log will help, and it's only useful for developers.

To get the best solution It really requires some detailed real-time analysis with a logic analyzer and knowing the software and what's being written. One easy fix it appears Tesla did was to increase the size of the memory in MCU2. Given the same usage, each doubling of memory, doubles the life of this part.

So it's very possible Tesla will do nothing if my conjecture is less than 1% fail during the first 4 years. It's also not clear an easy software fix is possible, but hopefully Tesla will spend the time to make improvements and the part's life will be extended.

Even if Tesla changes the software today, it cannot fix the wear that has taken place in the past. Which means at some point, the part will fail - perhaps lastly a few years longer.

Firaz | 9 maj 2019

Hopefully a fix will be made, as an added benefit this may at least improve power consumption slightly and maybe even improve UI responsiveness in some instances.

bill | 9 maj 2019

@TeslaTap

Very good points but based on what he said in the video and that he has received a lot of the bad modules it sounds like eliminating the linux logging is essential.

I agree that fixing the log won't undo the damage done by past logging and that is why I believe Tesla should not require a full MCU replacement and Ideally not charge to replace the module.

If his predictions are correct the optics of this will be quite bad for Tesla in that it can be perceived that Tesla did this on purpose to milk its customers down the road.

ammar.subhan | 9 maj 2019

When mine went out (2015 Model S), the climate control stayed on and I was unable to use the app to control anything. I was also unable to charge the car via Supercharging or AC which was a little unnerving. The service center got me in right away and The screen was replaced within a couple of days. Total cost was approx 3k, out of warranty.

Problem was induced by a simple reset when maps stopped rendering while driving.

rxlawdude | 9 maj 2019

I would hope that Tesla is "refurbishing" parts that have flash memory and eventually bring the cost of replacement down significantly.

Building an expensive component that is, by design, going to fail sounds pretty dunderheaded.

sustainableS | 10 maj 2019

@ammar.subhan this is exactly what triggered my touchscreen to fail. Maps stopped rendering; I performed a reset and the screen died.

ammar.subhan | 10 maj 2019

@sustainableS

Out of curiosity, did you complete the reset while parked or were you driving?

sustainableS | 4 juni 2019

@ammar.subhanm, I performed the reset while parked.

Piotr12 | 10 juni 2019

My MCU he died, no warranty,the queue for the service over a month !!! 11 July. :-( No more T

mlaska1980 | 27 juni 2019

Piotr. Can conntact me? mlaska1980@gmail.com

prikryl | 14 september 2019

Hello,
I already purchased three Teslas in total and I am waiting for another one. But after last experience, I do not know what to think of Tesla, especially Tesla service ...

My white Tesla's right door handle broke, stopped to pop out. At that time, car was about last week in warranty. So I contacted Tesla service in Prague, they gave me appointment, which was 3 weeks AFTER warranty. I was told, too many customers, they do not have anything sooner..

Newer than less, So I send my car to original Tesla service in Prague.

What was my surprise, when they called me, that they have fixed the door handle, but also told me that central screen broke while they were working on the car and that they expect me to pay almost USD 3000 for new central screen.

Is this real ? I gave them car with broken handle and they want me pay for something which was working just fine ?

How should I know they did not break it by them self ? Also, it was not my fault, the gave me appointment 3 weeks after my guaranty period expired...

I really do not know what I should do..
"Tesla Magic" is kind of lost and I am considering to cancel my order and go with another EV manufacturer ..

Anthony J. Parisio | 14 september 2019

There is no other real Ev. I would that to the sales team an explain the problem and that you might cancel your order