Forums

Battery coolant pump running for hours every day

Battery coolant pump running for hours every day

Has anyone else had problems with the front battery coolant pump running for hours every day ? We have a 2016 S60 with about 12k miles on it. The pump running excessively just started about 5 days ago. Before that we hardly ever heard the pump run. Now it runs (and makes a loud high pitched noise from under the front hood) for hours everyday. The car will just be sitting in the garage (about 60 degrees air temperature) not charging or anything and the pump will start up and run full out for two to three hours for no apparent reason. We're concerned there might be a battery problem that is causing the batteries to heat up even when the car is not in use.

Anthony J. Parisio | 15 april 2018

That is a reasonable assumption. Have you called Tesla roadside assistance yet? I would definitely do that.

tes-s | 15 april 2018

Doesn't sound like a battery problem to me, but I've never experienced that and it does not seem normal. Call Tesla.

dgrubb | 15 april 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I've called Tesla to get my car into their service center so they can look at it.

Silver2K | 15 april 2018

Maybe the louvers are stuck closed?

vp09 | 15 april 2018

Yes does sound wrong.

We have two 2016 Tesla Model Ss each with about 12 thousand miles and neither of them runs the battery cooler for more than a few minutes at a time.

Please let me know what you find out!

Bighorn | 16 april 2018

Sure it’s not the air suspension compressor?

redacted | 16 april 2018

It does sound like a service center visit is in order. If your battery was undergoing some kind of exothermic reaction I doubt it would be cured by running a cooling pump.

jordanrichard | 16 april 2018

They should be able to "look" at the car remotely. When my car gave me a warning about not being able to charge, yet it was charging albeit at 30 amp vs 40, they diagnosed the problem remotely.

dgrubb | 16 april 2018

My Model S is in Tesla's local service center. I'll let you know what they find.

TeslaTap.com | 16 april 2018

@dgrubb - Can you tell if the front fans are running? -There will be air exhaust from the front wheel wells. If you don't feel any airflow, it is unlikely the cooling system. I think Bighorn has hit upon the issue - a leak in the air system for the suspension could cause the air compressor to run more than normal.

I agree with others that you should contact service. You might also update the title if it is the air compressor and not the coolant pump.

Tropopause | 16 april 2018

I had this problem on my 2014 S85. One of the two coolant pumps would run randomly and frequently. Service Center performed a thermal diagnostic in the shop and determined I had one faulty coolant pump. Fixed under warranty and back to normal.

TeslaTap.com | 16 april 2018

@Tropopause - Thanks. Not sure why a pump would run like that even if faulty. Ah - the mystery of technology :)

dgrubb | 16 april 2018

Car still with Tesla. Awaiting info from Tesla on what they have found.

dgrubb | 19 april 2018

The official report I got (email) from Tesla says "found internal failure of battery heater causing coolant pumps to run excessively and at high speeds causing high pitched noise". The service rep I talked to at Tesla when I picked up my car told me it was a problem in a temperature sensor in the battery heater.

worck | 31 oktober 2019

I have a very satisfied owner of a model S D70 (delivered december 2015 Europe). Since end july I experinced an almost incessant high pitched humming sound (sometimes - but only sometimes turns off for a few minutes after a "power off" maneuver when the car is otherwise shut down) Coinciding with that I have logged a futile battery drainage between 3 and 6 kWh/ 24 h. That equals 4 to 8 % of my total battery capacity. It sounds much like the cooling pump not turning off as it should - as depicted by others and my car is currently (after more than 2 months waiting time) at the Tesla Service center. However the technicians appear perplexed by the problem - like they have never heard about cooling pump regulation failures. Quite frustrating since currently my "green" car burns off 150 kwh of futile energy expenditure each month ?! Any good ideas on how I make Tesla take the problem seriously ? Thank !

Bighorn | 31 oktober 2019

@worck
Pump seems to run at high SOCs now, perhaps 90 being the threshold. Consider dialing down your goal charge if you’re charging to 90 and see if it helps.

petergad4000 | 8 november 2019

@worck
Currently I have my Model S D85 for service, incl. looking at this humming-sound from the front. The message from the service center is there has been a leakage from the cooling pump and the pump need a replacement. As a consequence to this the coolant has been dripping on some wiring which now also need to be replaced :-(
I think the pump has been running constant since there wasn't enough coolant in the system to cool it down.
Conclusion: if the there is a constant humming sound from the front, I would book a time for service :-(
Btw my car was using around 2% of capacity on a daily basis for this humming

worck | 10 november 2019

@Bighorn - thanks for the idea but I typically only charge my D70 to 70% of full. And btw the humming (energy spending "process") seems to continue all the way down to an almost empty battery.

@petergad4000 Thanks ! II appreciate you took time for this. Your experience and explanation seem plausible to me and to look much like MY situation. However I got the car back from the service center 5 days ago. They´d observed it in "service mode" for a few days where the humming disappeared. Tesla would not/could not explain what they found. No mention of the cooling system in spite of me hinting in that direction. On the fifth day the humming restarted and continues without ever stopping. So I guess I need to book a new service appointment with a copy of this thread

nothotpocket | 12 november 2019

I had the same issue with my 2015 about sis months ago and the same experience as Tropopause. Took it in, they didn't hear the noise at the time of the appointment but ran a diagnostic just to be sure. Faulty coolant pump (or possibly sensor like dgrubb,) was replaced and no issues since.

danielk04 | 18 november 2019

Attention Bighorn, thank you, for our 2014 S, you are correct. Charging higher than 90% results in constant coolant pump operation, until charge drops below the 90% threshold, and the pumps shut off. Good work man!