Forums

Urban Superchargers - do idle fees apply after 50% occupancy?

Urban Superchargers - do idle fees apply after 50% occupancy?

I did not see this issue addressed in the FAQ https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging . My aunt & uncle are considering buying a Tesla, but they live in a condo where they can't install their own charger. A new Urban Supercharger opened up a few miles from where they live. As I was discussing things with them, I made sure to mention the Supercharger idle fees.

I fully understand and appreciate the idle fees and 50% occupancy rule for normal Superchargers. When the power is shared between a pair of pedestals, the location is at 50% occupancy, and you've completed charging, then you could be blocking somebody else from charging at a faster rate.

But each Urban Supercharger has its own non-shared power. Therefore, as long as there is an open pedestal, you aren't preventing anybody from charging or from charging at a higher rate.

Do the idle fees still apply at an Urban Supercharger when it has 50% occupancy? If so, why? Wouldn't it be more logical to only apply them when they are all occupied, or maybe if only one pedestal is available? Obviously we should encourage people to move their vehicles when they've completed charging, but IMHO, the penalty should only apply when you're preventing somebody else from charging or from charging at a higher rate.

I haven't used an Urban Supercharger yet. Can anybody confirm how idle fees work at them? Any other constructive thoughts or criticisms?

reed_lewis | 19 april 2018

The idle fees apply at every Super Charger.

Let me correct a few of your statements:

"When the power is shared between a pair of pedestals, the location is at 50% occupancy, and you've completed charging, then you could be blocking somebody else from charging at a faster rate."

No. The total amount of power that can be delivered to the two ports is about 150 or so Kw. If one car is pulling no power, then the other will be able to pull whatever it can (up to the maximum that the car can pull).

"But each Urban Supercharger has its own non-shared power. Therefore, as long as there is an open pedestal, you aren't preventing anybody from charging or from charging at a higher rate."

But you are preventing someone from charging. Imagine if there are 8 ports at an urban super charger. All 8 are taken up by people who do not think the idle fees apply. Therefore the 9th person to arrive cannot charge because all 8 ports are taken up. You are preventing someone from charging.

The only difference between a regular charger and a super charger is that the maximum power that can be delivered to a single port is 75 kW on an urban one, and 120 kW on a normal one.

Rocky_H | 19 april 2018

The other bit about the half or more is still important. Tesla doesn't have visibility to whether gas cars are sitting in some spots blocking them. If a few spots are blocked like that, especially if it's only a 4 or 6 stall location, your car that is done charging could still be blocking others from using it.

EVRider | 19 april 2018

You shouldn’t leave your car parked at any public charger, super or otherwise, if you’re not charging. Tesla can only enforce this at their superchargers.

GHammer | 19 april 2018

Yes, the fees apply at urban superchargers, at least the warning comes up when you are supercharging. I was the second car in a 12 urban when I plugged in and went to dinner, more cars came as I was at dinner and I got the idle fees warning as my car neared full.

georgehawley.fl.us | 19 april 2018

I got an idle fee notification when ours was the only car present at the Ocala Supercharger.

b.tesla | 20 april 2018

Thanks for confirming that idle notifications & fees apply the same at Urban Superchargers.

I wish we could do more to the ICEholes who block EV chargers. It would be awesome if we could give them parking tickets on the order of someone illegally parking in a handicapped spot. I've heard of some states that are more progressive in that area. You'd think that cities would jump at the opportunity to make some bonus money like that.

I'm definitely in favor of having idle fees at regular Superchargers and Urban Superchargers. I'm just questioning the threshold of when they should be applied due to the difference of having dedicated power to each Urban Supercharger stall.

@reed_lewis, I'm not sure if you followed my logic. For regular Superchargers, imagine a location with 8 ports and 4 cars, all properly spaced out on unpaired ports. If 3 just began charging and 1 has completed charging, there is nothing obvious to show you which remaining port would be optimal to use when a 5th vehicle arrives. They'd have to pick one, and if they don't like that charge rate, they could try their luck moving to another. I like idle fees in this scenario. That charge rate gamble doesn't apply to Urban Superchargers at > 50% occupancy like it does traditional Superchargers.

For the Urban Superchargers, I said "as long as there is an open pedestal, you aren't preventing anybody from charging or from charging at a higher rate". And you reply with "But you are preventing someone from charging." Huh? Brain segfault! As long as there is an open port, when somebody else arrives, they can plug into that port and begin charging at the maximum rate of an Urban Supercharger. When all of the ports are occupied, then it is clearly blocking anybody else who may arrive, and idle fees should definitely apply.